The Student Room Group

I need help about deciding whether to apply for a year industry or not

I'm a year 13 student and I'm wanting to apply for biomedical science at Sheffield University. I'm wondering whether applying for biomedical science with a year in industry is more competitive then the stand alone biomedical degree. Because of this I'm wondering whether to apply just for the stand alone degree instead and run the risk of potentially being asked if I want to convert over.
Hello,
I am a current biological sciences student at Sheffield.
I wouldn't say that the course is more competitive (getting a placement can be competitive though depending on which company you go for but will look much better when you apply for future jobs) as it is only a few sessions per year. It is increadibly easy to move to year in industry (it is literally a single form/ email) and you can move to year in industry at any point in year 1 or 2. Starting on the course would give you access to the resources beforehand where you can gain insight from previous students / relavent staff. The year in industry is self led as you have to find your own placement so the course is only related to advice (eg getting a second opinion on your CV / cover letter).
To summarise: you can easily change between the 2 regardless of what you decide.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Josh20108
I'm a year 13 student and I'm wanting to apply for biomedical science at Sheffield University. I'm wondering whether applying for biomedical science with a year in industry is more competitive then the stand alone biomedical degree. Because of this I'm wondering whether to apply just for the stand alone degree instead and run the risk of potentially being asked if I want to convert over.

yes biomed job market is so oversaturated as so many people study it. a year in industry is a fab idea
Original post by Josh20108

A year in industry is always better as you will have more experience and work skills to enhance your CV with, which will make your application more competitive to employers.

I'm applying for biomed at Sheffield too! :biggrin:

Also, here's the official thread for biomed 2023/24 applicants I made. Feel free to join and chat! :smile:
Original post by honeybuns2k5
yes biomed job market is so oversaturated as so many people study it. a year in industry is a fab idea

The market being oversaturated depends on what OP wants to pursue with their degree in the future. I would think that industry jobs would be more competitive than research since the latter is more specialized and subjective. Also, many people who do biomed are those that didn't get into med and are trying for GEM. If OP is not doing either I don't think it should affect them too much, but correct me if I'm wrong.

But yes, a year in industry is always beneficial :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest