The Student Room Group

A-level psychology help please

Hi, I am unsure as to how I am expected to remember so many evaluation points for the 16 mark essay?
For each lesson/topic in psychology, I am expected to learn 3 evaluation points.
I 100% find learning the evaluation points the hardest part.
Usually in my 16 markers, I get 10/16 or 11/16 and I ask my teacher as to why I’m dropping marks and he said that it’s because of my evaluation points. He said that they need to be more detailed with specific info (such as the researchers name), and so how am I meant to remember all this?
In addition to this, I have to write a ‘develop’ point (I use the PEED structure for each A03 paragraph) and o struggle developing it as you’re meant to sometimes have a counterpoint.
Learning all the A01 info is perfectly fine for me, but A03 is really hard. How do I improve on this??
Thank you :smile:
Original post by harlz_chalamet
how I am expected to remember so many evaluation points for the 16 mark essay?

Hard work. I recommend spaced repetition.
You need to go as many 16markers as possible. Idk what grade you what to get but the difference between A and A* students in psych is the ability to adapt the info you know to the question specifically. A good 16 markers can get you an A even if it doesn’t totally answer the question but for the A* you need to really answer the questions given which are normally adaptions of the spec to see who actually knows the content and who just can recite it.
I got an A* and it wasn’t easy at all, you need to be able to do a PEEL paragraph then add on PEEEAL so point evidence explain evidence analysis link. The analysis is essentially comparing your counterpoint to your original point eg Harlow animal studies showed animals without contact comfort grew up to be awful mothers. You can criticise it by saying it’s hard to extrapolate the data to humans but then you can also say it actually might be relevant because real life examples of women who grew up in foster care are far more likely (try to provide actual stats) also have kids in foster care aswell.
So you are providing two contradictory points to the same research which gives you full analysis if that makes sense ☺️
I would say that creating quizlets for the evaluation and going over them regularly helps
Also, see if you can spot evaluations which can be used for multiple different topics as this will reduce the overall amount of points you have to learn
When writing essays, I recommend highlighting key prompt words in the paragraphs that would help you remember them
I would say your doing fine. Our psychology teacher says 7/16 is the adverage score on 16 markers so no need to worry too much. Its just practise and extra revision if your aiming for the top grades.
Reply 5
Original post by chazwomaq
Hard work. I recommend spaced repetition.

I would really discourage this approach. Subjects such as psychology and sociology require you to memorise large quantities of information in order for you to make an informed academic argument, and not simply write down what you believe to be common sense.
Therefore you need to find an effective strategy to memorise all the evaluation points. You can try copying down all the evaluation points under one topic and then answering one of the 16 mark essays that are based specifically on this topic. You could make colour-coded notes to help you differentiate which point comes under which topic, etc.
I'm sure you already do them but we do essay plans which can be as detailed as you want. A01 is a box at the top then you have strengths and weaknesses column and a debates box. We use Venn diagrams for approaches to compare. I find these really helpful.
Remember key studies! So much easier done with Quizlet flashcards. Otherwise, if you forget some, you can try and pick out flaws with the studies surrounding the question and turn them into their own paragraph.
e.g.
Animal Studies of Attachment
AO3 1- Harlow's monkeys led to useful applications as social workers now understand the detrimental effects that child neglect can have on infant development with some idea on how it can be prevented + can be applied to animals in captivity
AO3 2- Harlow's monkeys isn't generalisable as humans are more complex than monkeys AND ethical issues - experiment was obviously traumatic to the monkeys where in some variations of his study they indulged in self harm and died (could be justified in terms of effect it's had on psychology's understanding of attachment?) - REMEMBER to link this to the question and how these disadvantages mean that it decreases validity/credibility or whatever
AO3 3- Lorenz as research to support, but also not generalisable and humans tend to form more attachments long after birds' critical periods - seen in Schaffer and Emerson who found children generally form strong bonds at 7-12 months of age rather than immediately

this is all assuming you study AQA lol sorry if this is useless info to you. Here's one of my quizlets as an example or just study help: https://quizlet.com/gb/673005230/psychologists-for-attachment-memory-flash-cards/
Sorry further advice:

blurting. Read the name of a study/psychologist, and use your notes to quickly write down the key facts and stats about them. Then try to do it again without the help and notes. Whatever stats you missed out after going over the answers, write them in a different colour. Cover those over and keep repeating this until you haven't missed out any key stats.

Honestly this method saved my A-levels lol. It can be long but totally worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest