The Student Room Group

EPQ overalp?

i am interested in the idea of if film and tv portrayals of criminals are harmful and i was wondering if this would overlap into criminology since i do that course?

i am pretty determined to do this idea so if there is any overlap is there any way to alter my idea?
That idea would not cross over into your criminology course so it would be fine. However, that is the kind of EPQ topic that has been done before. The worry with a project like this is that you already have a conclusion to your research. I.e that people think negatively about criminals or people who commit crime. It would be better if you had a more specific hypothesis that would lead to a precise answer. If you wanted to translate this idea into a piece of qualitative research that would be much stronger.

For example, if you did an analysis of the Netflix show 'top boy' and then did interviews with people you could try and specifically measure the way in which it impacts their perception of a group. You can create a more specific title along the lines of "how do representations of black teenagers in topboy affect the perception of this group". You could do interviews with lets say 5 different people using open-ended questions and explore how it affects their perception of teenagers or crime in the UK.

EPQ projects that get top marks always look to move beyond very general questions and into specific realms of research.

I hope that feedback helps!
Reply 2
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success

This is free and a useful thing to do.
Hi, I was thinking of doing an EPQ on how traumatic events are shown through film. Would this question be too vague to get a good mark?
thank you.
Original post by nedflanders123
That idea would not cross over into your criminology course so it would be fine. However, that is the kind of EPQ topic that has been done before. The worry with a project like this is that you already have a conclusion to your research. I.e that people think negatively about criminals or people who commit crime. It would be better if you had a more specific hypothesis that would lead to a precise answer. If you wanted to translate this idea into a piece of qualitative research that would be much stronger.

For example, if you did an analysis of the Netflix show 'top boy' and then did interviews with people you could try and specifically measure the way in which it impacts their perception of a group. You can create a more specific title along the lines of "how do representations of black teenagers in topboy affect the perception of this group". You could do interviews with lets say 5 different people using open-ended questions and explore how it affects their perception of teenagers or crime in the UK.

EPQ projects that get top marks always look to move beyond very general questions and into specific realms of research.

I hope that feedback helps!
Original post by elianebeck
Hi, I was thinking of doing an EPQ on how traumatic events are shown through film. Would this question be too vague to get a good mark?
thank you.

Yeah again I would say that Is a really vague topic and it does not fit into any sort of academic subject.

You can make it really specific and it might fit into something else. As an example you could do it on a specific trauma across let's say three films. You could pick something like bereavement and how families respond or cope afterwards.

As a starting point you could find academic studies that study families or there outcomes after bereavement and then springboard into some film analysis from that.
If you were more going into the media analysis side of things you could just focus on one film and the trauma in that film.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending