The Student Room Group

Can I get into medical school with bad UCAT

In the UCAT I got 2360 and band 3 STJ. I have AAA predicted. I applied to medicine at Hull York, Nottingham and Anglia Ruskin and applied to biomed at Newcastle and Northumbria. I’ve got offers for my biomed options. Do you think I’ll get offers for my medical ones? I haven’t done any interviews yet
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by Spacemonkey24736
In the UCAT I got 2360 and band 3 STJ. I have AAA predicted. I applied to medicine at Hull York, Nottingham and Anglia Ruskin and applied to biomed at Newcastle and Northumbria. I’ve got offers for my biomed options. Do you think I’ll get offers for my medical ones? I haven’t done any interviews yet

I can’t comment on the UCAT score I am afraid as I don’t know anything about those particular med schools. However, I think it’s fair to say that very few people have received interview invites yet, that will extend possibly over the next few months. I only saw the first threads saying they had received invites this morning (Bristol I think).

have a look at the specific threads for your course to see what’s going on with them. index on page one of the following thread.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7247513
(edited 1 year ago)
If you apply to bmat schools then you don’t have to worry as much about the ucat. Unfortunately I don’t know about those med skls you applied to sorry
Hiya,
Unfortunately no one here can tell you whether you are guaranteed or not to get an interview. To go university by university:

Hull York score your UCAT with 40 points out of a total of 100 for your application. They don't have a particular cut off score, but the strength of your application with them might depend on how good your GCSEs are and whether you have any contextual data to your application. They also score the SJT out of 15 too.

Nottingham again don't have a cut off for the UCAT, but score your UCAT out of 60, with VR being scored higher than the other sections. Again, they score the GCSEs as part of the shortlisting process, so the strength of your application could depend on this.

Anglia Ruskin also don't have a cut off, but anecdotally have previously had a cut off around 2300/2400 for students with contextual data

Ultimately, you have already sat the UCAT and applied to these universities. Wait to hear back from them and see what they say. If you get an interview, fantastic! (And also feel free to check out our interview resources and tutoring:biggrin:). If it happens that you don't get an interview, remember that there are still plenty of options, including a gap year and potentially graduate medicine. It's easier said than done to say don't stress at all (and personally I couldn't do it) but try not to worry at the moment and focus on yourself :smile:

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I can answer anything else for you :smile:

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by Spacemonkey24736

I think ARU's UCAT cut off last year was 2640 (or the high 2500s if you lived locally) so that seems a bit of a long shot. Nottingham and HYMS don't have published cut-offs but from the TSR info for last year's intake, Nottingham only interviewed applicants with 129 points and above last year - its out of 152 and you'd lose 40 points straight away with SJ3 as they priotise SJ1 - and you'd also lose points for your UCAT score so you're going to be quite far away from 129. Thats not to say the cut-off won't be lower this year, but maybe not much. HYMS prioritise SJ1 too, 15% of their score is for the SJ banding, 40% for the UCAT score, 15% contextual and then 30% for GCSEs. Again, the info seems to be that you needed 73 points last year to be interviewed. Can you score yourself?
Reply 6
Why did u only apply to 3 med schools?

Quick Reply

Latest