The Student Room Group

Will Cambridge let me in with only Highers?

I would like to ask if Oxbridge takes Highers instead of Advanced Highers. I'm currently taking Nat 5 in S5. I used to take Nat 3/4 in S4, because my current school is unsupportive. So recently I've been in contact with a local Private School about attending after my exams. My plan is to get a scholarship leading me to attend in Late S5 to S6 allowing me to sit Highers. My problem is that there is no where to sit Advanced Highers apart from the hub in Glasgow; they only take in S6s. I really want to study law in England. The entry requirements are A*AA.
I went to a UCAS event a while back and I remember the Cambridge (or was it Oxford?) rep telling my friend that she would need to take Adv Hs if she wants to apply. Double-check their websites to make sure, but I really can't imagine that they would accept only Highers. Why can't you go to the hub when you're in S6? Some of my friends in school go there for STEM subjects cause our school doesn't offer those subjects at Adv H.

Also. I won't assume your financial status, but living in Oxford is mad expensive! I'm staying in Scotland because our first degree is free. SAS won't give you money if you go to study in England, if you didn't already know.
Reply 2
Original post by c.ya.space.c0w
<... > SAS won't give you money if you go to study in England, if you didn't already know.

I don't think it's entirely correct. It says:
'You must be studying an eligible course in higher education. The main types of full-time courses we fund are:
validated first degree courses at colleges and universities in the United Kingdom (UK)...'

SAAS Undergraduate funding

I mean it will be a loan but still.
(edited 1 year ago)
I went to a UCAS event a while back and I remember the Cambridge (or was it Oxford?) rep telling my friend that she would need to take Adv Hs if she wants to apply. Double-check their websites to make sure, but I really can't imagine that they would accept only Highers. Why can't you go to the hub when you're in S6? Some of my friends in school go there for STEM subjects cause our school doesn't offer those subjects at Adv H.

Also. I won't assume your financial status, but living in Oxford is mad expensive! I'm staying in Scotland because our first degree is free. SAS won't give you money if you go to study in England, if you didn't already know.

I can't go to the hub do to studying Highers in S6 and it appears that they won't take anyone aged 18 or older. (I'm in S5 taking Nat 5)
Original post by Ulf
I don't think it's entirely correct. It says:
'You must be studying an eligible course in higher education. The main types of full-time courses we fund are:
validated first degree courses at colleges and universities in the United Kingdom (UK)...'

SAAS Undergraduate funding

I mean it will be a loan but still.

You're right! I should have been clearer, but my point still stands that if you're Scottish, your first degree at a Scottish uni is free (SAS will pay the uni/college directly)

page 2, under Tuition Fees: https://www.saas.gov.uk/files/447/saas-student-funding-key-facts.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bryce123321
I can't go to the hub do to studying Highers in S6 and it appears that they won't take anyone aged 18 or older. (I'm in S5 taking Nat 5)

Oh I see. You could try graduate entry to Oxbridge if you do a different degree first, but honestly, I think it would be better to find another university. I have friends applying to study Law at Glasgow and Strathclyde, and I don't think you necessarily need Adv Hs (not sure tho). Also, I have a cousin studying Law at Edinburgh Napier and she didn't do Adv Hs (she applied in S5, so skipped S6)
No, no. I can afford English university.
You're right! I should have been clearer, but my point still stands that if you're Scottish, your first degree at a Scottish uni is free (SAS will pay the uni/college directly)

page 2, under Tuition Fees: https://www.saas.gov.uk/files/447/saas-student-funding-key-facts.pdf
I suppose I could settle for Edinburgh; but I'm dying to see what Oxbridge could offer. My guess is that I could write to a College In Cambridge or write to the AD hub in Glasgow.
Oh I see. You could try graduate entry to Oxbridge if you do a different degree first, but honestly, I think it would be better to find another university. I have friends applying to study Law at Glasgow and Strathclyde, and I don't think you necessarily need Adv Hs (not sure tho). Also, I have a cousin studying Law at Edinburgh Napier and she didn't do Adv Hs (she applied in S5, so skipped S6)
@Peterhouse Admissions might be able to advise if they accept only SQA Highers from Scottish students or if they require SQA Advanced Highers as well? I suspect it's the latter though, except maybe for the foundation year if eligible...?
I suppose I could settle for Edinburgh; but I'm dying to see what Oxbridge could offer. My guess is that I could write to a College In Cambridge or write to the AD hub in Glasgow.

From Cambridge website Law page;
Courses with a typical offer of A*AA generally require A1, A2, A2; and for courses with a typical A Level offer of A*A*A, offers are usually A1, A1, A2.

In some cases, two Advanced Highers and an additional Higher may be acceptable (eg when an applicant is prevented from studying more than two Advanced Highers due to reasons outside their control) such applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis and should seek advice from the College to which they’re considering applying as early as possible.

If your school/college can only offer a limited range of Advanced Higher qualifications, or taking three Advanced Highers means travelling to different schools, please do indicate this on the additional questionnaire. so that this can be taken into account when assessing your application.
I would like to ask if Oxbridge takes Highers instead of Advanced Highers. I'm currently taking Nat 5 in S5. I used to take Nat 3/4 in S4, because my current school is unsupportive. So recently I've been in contact with a local Private School about attending after my exams. My plan is to get a scholarship leading me to attend in Late S5 to S6 allowing me to sit Highers. My problem is that there is no where to sit Advanced Highers apart from the hub in Glasgow; they only take in S6s. I really want to study law in England. The entry requirements are A*AA.

Have you decided that you want to study English law, not Scottish law? They are different.

Oxbridge will require Advanced Highers (usually 3 in one sitting).

I think if you are unable to do 3 then you can do 2 with an extra Higher
It’s normally a no, as Oxford wants AAB adv higher and Cambridge wants A1A1A2, but they take it on a case by case basis so there is a possibility but you would need to contact the uni
Yes, I would like to study common law. Looks like Edinburgh doesn't offer it. How unfortunate!
Original post by tiny hobbit
Have you decided that you want to study English law, not Scottish law? They are different.
Problem is that there is no were to sit Advanced Highers. I hope they would require me to sit more Highers.
Original post by hetMakadia
Oxbridge will require Advanced Highers (usually 3 in one sitting).

I think if you are unable to do 3 then you can do 2 with an extra Higher

Quick Reply

Latest