Synths! Watch

gylfih
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Anyone here a synth/keyboard whore like me? This includes VSTs. What you got and post pics if possible!
Trevor 12345
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
old school JV 90 here....
hollywood_swinging
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My hardware synths are back at home while I'm in halls, so it's VSTs all the way. Got a few Moog emulations that are awesome - fully programmable. Other than that, bosh out some crazy FM synthesis in MaxMSP
cascadingstylez
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You know what Synth I actually like, the Subtractor included in Reason. I can create pretty much any sound in that. Its not actually a real synth, but I use it for most of my basslines/synths.

I have hundreds in Logic. I like the ES2 synth, if you can use it properly, you can create some amazing sounds.
gylfih
Yeah, I'm mostly VSTs as well atm. Got loads of the Arturia analog stuff, GPO, all the stuff that comes with Ableton Live and Reason... I've got too many VSTs to mention lol. I love playing with SynthMaker and SynthEsit. I've never really got the hang of MaxMSP.

Hardware: M-Audio - Keystation Pro88, Axiom 49
Korg SP200 LE Blue, Alesis Fusion 8HD, and a good old 6' baby grand piano.
Dr.Funk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have a big Novation KS4 at home although am intending to sell it when I have the chance. It's great fun having a piece of hardware. So much fun to tweak and make funny noises with. VSTi wise I quite like the ones included with Cubase SX. Can anyone recommend some free VSTi's?

To be honest I am not much of a keyboard player so end up programming most of my synth parts in Ableton. Bass is my main instrument which I run through my laptop with some serious processing to try and replicate synth sounds on there.

The Alesis Fusion look really cool, there was a point where they were so cheap I was tempted. But then I realised I can't really play the thing..
hollywood_swinging
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dr.Funk)
Can anyone recommend some free VSTi's?
  • Delay Lama by AudioNerdz. Not terribly usable but is possibly the funniest VSTi, and has an AWESOME interface
  • Crazy Diamonds by Rumpelrausch Täips. Pink Floyd - 'nuff said.
  • Tweakbench have a load of free VSTis, mainly lo-fi stuff like NES emulators, granular synthesis stuff

A Google search for list of free vstis gives quite a few promising results.
cascadingstylez
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To many VST's is not good. You end up overlooking the power of them. That's why I stick to 2 or 3 and learn how to use them properly.

I only use Logic for putting vocals on tracks usually. I like Reason. Using the combinator you can map multiple instruments to each octave/key on the keyboard so when you play a riff you can make some mad sound. I only discovered it and started playing with it last night. Listen to the 'Section 47' loop on my MySpace to see what I mean: http://www.myspace.com/gv1thebassinist (its not mastered so the frequencies might sound messed)
gylfih
Oh yeah, too many VSTs is definately a bad idea I think. I only have loads so that I have a diverse range of sounds when I don't have time to make my own sounds. I prefer making my own leads and basses etc.

I normally make sounds using Z3TA+ (ever tried that? it's amazing!), Reaktor or Synthmaker...

There don't seem to be many keyboardists here
cascadingstylez
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gylfih)
Oh yeah, too many VSTs is definately a bad idea I think. I only have loads so that I have a diverse range of sounds when I don't have time to make my own sounds. I prefer making my own leads and basses etc.

I normally make sounds using Z3TA+ (ever tried that? it's amazing!), Reaktor or Synthmaker...

There don't seem to be many keyboardists here
My producer name is GV1 - The Bassinist , lol. Because of my love for bass and synths.

Yeah I used Z3TA+, awesome. But, I still love using Subtractor and the Combinator. I'll do a video tutorial soon so you can see how I am running with things.

Oh and LFO's ARE your friend. Any dance style production benefits from a little or a lot from the LFO.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.74%
No (573)
60.32%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.95%

Watched Threads