The Student Room Group

Christmas carol gcse

how do the visitations of christmas carol present the ghosts?
quotes and some Analysis of how it presents the ghost

I was doing a question on how the ghosts are presented in Christmas carol and I don't know what to say about how they're presented during the visitations ( eg light house etc) and I was told that aswell as descriptions off the ghost, I should be including the visitations in my answer.
thanks
Hiya I did my GCSEs in lockdown but I got a 9 in english literature hope you find this useful, I wrote an essay on redemtption of scrooge

There are many events that lead up to Scrooge’s redemption. Starting with the extract, explore the events most important to his journey of redemption.’

This extract is at the end of Scrooge’s time with the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.

The Spirit stood among the graves, and pointed down to One. He advanced towards it, trembling. The Phantom was exactly as it had been, but he dreaded that he saw new meaning in its solemn shape.
"Before I draw nearer to that stone to which you point," said Scrooge, "answer me one question. Are these the shadows of the things that Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only?" Still the Ghost pointed downward to the grave by which it stood. "Men's courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead," said Scrooge. "But if the courses are departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me."

The Spirit was immovable as ever. Scrooge crept towards it, trembling as he went; and following the finger, read upon the stone of the neglected grave his own name, EBENEZER SCROOGE. "Am I that man who lay upon the bed?" he cried, upon his knees. The finger pointed from the grave to him, and back again. "No, Spirit! Oh no, no!" The finger still was there. "Spirit!" he cried, tight clutching at its robe, "hear me. I am not the man I was. I will not be the man I must have been but for this intercourse. Why show me this, if I am past all hope?"

For the first time the hand appeared to shake. "Good Spirit," he pursued, as down upon the ground he fell before it: "Your nature intercedes for me, and pities me. Assure me that I yet may change these shadows you have shown me, by an altered life." The kind hand trembled. "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone!"

In his agony, he caught the spectral hand. It sought to free itself, but he was strong in his entreaty, and detained it. The Spirit, stronger yet, repulsed him. Holding up his hands in a last prayer to have his fate aye reversed, he saw an alteration in the Phantom's hood and dress. It shrunk, collapsed, and dwindled down into a bedpost.

This extract is from the end of stave four when he looks at his own neglected grave, this is one of the most important events that leads to Scrooge’s redemption. This is the part where he is really frightened and is curious to know who is the person whose death is being neglected or ignored. Scrooge and the ghost of xmas yet to come is standing near gravestones and they see people talking about a person in a very negative way. Firstly, ‘the end will come’ suggests that soon the journey towards scrooge’s redemption is going to end, and as it has reminded Scrooge a lot about his ‘dreaded’ future and what would happen if he keeps behaving like this to his society as he is in his present.

As he asks ‘am I that man? It shows that he almost starts to recognise who the businessmen were talking about and the way that he is asking the question shows that he still doesn’t believe it and is also unsure, this is because no human could digest the fact that they are dead and their death is not seen as a very big loss. This would be one of the key things that lead to Scrooge’s redemption. "I will honour Christmas in my heart... on this stone!" suggests that he has changed a lot from how he avoided Marley’s ghost now he respects all the ghosts and this could also be considered as a part of his redemption.

Furthermore, Scrooge seeing his own grave is one of the most significant things that led to his redemption, it is not the only thing that led to his redemption. Another significant part leading to Scrooge changing is when he arrives at the Cratchits’, he arrives at a time when tiny Tim is dying because of his medical issues. Everybody in the house is very quiet and solemn which juxtaposes to how people reacted to his death as the only emotion shown towards his death was happiness by the people who were in debt with scrooge. This also makes Scrooge realise that he is the reason for Tiny Tim dying, as he did not give enough salary to Bob Cratchit, to provide Tiny Tim with aid to his medical problems. This could lead to his redemption as he realises he could have been more like Fezziwig who in stave 2 celebrates christmas with his colleagues and acts cheerfully and joyfully towards his employees, after seeing this Scrooge would have changed his ways towards Bob by tricking him.

Another significant part that led to Scrooge's redemption is in the end of stave 3 when he sees two children from the Ghost of Xmas Present’s robe - Ignorance and Want as they show the consequences of his behaviour and all the other rich people’s behaviour towards the poor. The ghost also repeats Scrooge’s own words back at him from stave 1 when he asks ‘are there no prisons’ and ‘workhouses’. And when Scrooge asks who they belong to the ghost of xmas present points his hands towards the city and says they are ‘man’s’, this could make him realise that the words that Marley said in stave one were true as he says ‘mankind was my business’. Scrooge feels ashamed when the Ghost uses his own words against him. We see him beginning to wish he could change.

Finally, When the last of the ghosts has left and Scrooge finally awakes on Christmas day, we are shown a new man. “His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him.” Scrooge becomes generous and full of life. We see him welcomed into the homes of his family and friends and readers are delighted by his transformation. Some of the reasons why scrooge redeemed himself is that. He is upset as he thought that Tiny Tim might die, The Ghost of Christmas Present uses his own cruel words against him and He sees what he is missing in the family scenes of celebration. By showing that by one person changing their ways, Dickens suggests that it could bring a change in the whole community, so if more people change their attitude and their ways i.e. redeem themselves there are chances that there would be a greater change in the society.

Quick Reply