The Student Room Group

Why do strict Muslims go to university?

What are they missing out on if you can't party/drink alcohol and sleep around?

Scroll to see replies

people go to university to get an education
If I was a betting person (I'm not because it's a sin), then I'd wager you're the first in your family to go to university. Otherwise you wouldn't have such a distorted view of higher education.
Original post by fooshfee779
If I was a betting person (I'm not because it's a sin), then I'd wager you're the first in your family to go to university. Otherwise you wouldn't have such a distorted view of higher education.

My careers adviser mentioned it to me, he asked me what am I missing out on if I am antisocial, and can't party or anything? I said degree qualification.

My family don't like higher education, they like school and college but not university. I didn't go to university and the only person to go in my family is my sister. If I did go, I would be the second person to go in my family.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anony345533
My careers adviser mentioned it to me, he asked me what am I missing out on if I am antisocial, and can't party or anything? I said degree qualification.

My family don't like higher education, they like school and college but not university. I didn't go to university and the only person to go in my family is my sister. If I did go, I would be the second person to go in my family.

If your sister went to university, why are you even asking this question?
Original post by black tea
If your sister went to university, why are you even asking this question?

Because my careers adviser mentioned it, and I don't know what university is like, my sister does. I haven't had first hand experience of university.
Because my careers adviser mentioned it, and I don't know what university is like, my sister does. I haven't had first hand experience of university.

my point is, why haven't you asked your sister?
Original post by black tea
my point is, why haven't you asked your sister?

Because it will cause an argument, even though she went to university, she doesn't like it when anyone else goes because "it's a waste of time and working looks for experience not qualifications"

I figured as much.
Reply 9
Because it will cause an argument, even though she went to university, she doesn't like it when anyone else goes because "it's a waste of time and working looks for experience not qualifications"

But you're not saying it's a waste of time, you are asking about her experience of uni. Why is that such an issue?
To study
What are they missing out on if you can't party/drink alcohol and sleep around?

There's more than just strict Muslims who don't drink or sleep around at uni; I barely did the first, certainly not the second and got my dream career because I did the degree required and gained experience for the role. And I enjoyed my time!
For education? Not everyone will enjoy that lifestyle
Original post by Surnia
But you're not saying it's a waste of time, you are asking about her experience of uni. Why is that such an issue?

Because she's going to think I am disgusting mentioning this when it is against my religion. I don't really speak to her, she's controlling and judges me and says I am too dumb as does the rest of my family but teachers have a different opinion of me. How do they know I am dumb for A Level when they don't teach me? She won't let me study ever again.
(edited 1 year ago)
Because she's going to think I am disgusting mentioning this when it is against my religion. I don't really speak to her, she's controlling and judges me and says I am too dumb as does the rest of my family but teachers have a different opinion of me. How do they know I am dumb for A Level when they don't teach me? She won't let me study ever again.

So your sister isn't religious? Don't your parents have a problem with that, more than you wanting to go to uni? How can she stop you studying?
Original post by Surnia
So your sister isn't religious? Don't your parents have a problem with that, more than you wanting to go to uni? How can she stop you studying?

My sister is religious. Mentioning these things are embarrassing and disgusting even for her. You shouldn't mention sex before marriage (or sex at all) and alcohol. Mentioning sex is even more embarrassing than mentioning alcohol. She went to uni but she didn't do these things, she lived at home whilst going to uni.

I don't know she just can. We go to her for support with applications and If she doesn't let you do a course then you won't be able to do it. What she says goes.
(edited 1 year ago)
My sister is religious. Mentioning these things are embarrassing and disgusting even for her. You shouldn't mention sex before marriage (or sex at all) and alcohol. Mentioning sex is even more embarrassing than mentioning alcohol.

I don't know she just can. We go to her for support with applications and If she doesn't let you do a course then you won't be able to do it. What she says goes.

Then you don't discuss sex before marriage or alcohol, simply ask how she finds it at uni.

It's not up to your sister to control your life. If you can't do your own application form, how will you cope at uni and beyond?
Original post by Surnia
Then you don't discuss sex before marriage or alcohol, simply ask how she finds it at uni.

It's not up to your sister to control your life. If you can't do your own application form, how will you cope at uni and beyond?

I can do my own application form but for some reason we still go to her for support.

What's beyond uni? A job? Usually you have to start at the bottom and get experience, you won't just land yourself in a graduate job straight out of uni. I know some jobs require A levels for an admin assistant job.
(edited 1 year ago)
I can do my own application form but for some reason we still go to her for support.

What's beyond uni? A job? Usually you have to start at the bottom and get experience, you won't just land yourself in a graduate job straight out of uni. I know some jobs require A levels for an admin assistant job.

3/4 years of doing a degree you will but you start off local and make your way up.

What job do you want?

You don't necessarily need direct work experience for a job, and employers understand that with graduates. You find work, roles and activities that give you transferable skills to meet what a prospective employer is looking for in your preferred sector eg team work, leadership, cash-handling, organisation, admin.

Quick Reply

Latest