The Student Room Group

Getting Pregnant At Uni

I’m 22, married and in my final year of uni.

My plan is to have a baby after graduating, and then continue my career from there.

Initially I did not want to start trying till May (after uni finishes). However, As I my second semester consists of coursework only and 1 24 hour open book exam, I know my stress levels won’t be as high. So I wanted to start trying for a baby now, or in the next month. I understand If I do get pregnant I may experience pregnancy side effects. However, I have a very supportive husband, in laws and parents/ siblings who would help me and be there for me. Uni is my only priority so I just want to consider the impact of this.

Has anyone got any experience or been in my place? That can offer some advice on what they think, if they have been in my shoes already.
Reply 1
My situation is very different but I wanted to share my experience and offer advice. I had my baby at the start of my final year and I am a single mother with no family nearby. It is not ideal, but I was still able to manage school while working full time and I will be graduating soon!

Pregnancy symptoms may definitely impact your studies and it will be difficult. Also, consider expenses and when you plan to start your career. It may be challenging to start a career with a new baby.

As long as you are realistic about the situation and understand that you will have to be motivated to stay on track, I think it is something you can manage especially if you have a strong support system.
Reply 2
You make it sound so straight forward, like you'll get pregnant to your timetable and everything will be fine.

How are you going to 'continue' a career you won't have started if you have a baby?

What if pregnancy doesn't happen quickly and you are working when it does? What about complications, with you when carrying or the baby after it's born; wouldn't you want to be there? What if you decide not to start or go back to work, can you cope financially?
Original post by Taa031

My plan is to have a baby after graduating, and then continue my career from there.

Initially I did not want to start trying till May (after uni finishes). However, As I my second semester consists of coursework only and 1 24 hour open book exam, I know my stress levels won’t be as high. So I wanted to start trying for a baby now, or in the next month. I understand If I do get pregnant I may experience pregnancy side effects. However, I have a very supportive husband, in laws and parents/ siblings who would help me and be there for me. Uni is my only priority so I just want to consider the impact of this.

Has anyone got any experience or been in my place? That can offer some advice on what they think, if they have been in my shoes already.

sounds fine to me x
Original post by Taa031

I would wait. Supportive family is great but they cannot help you with the sickness and extreme tiredness that are often symptoms in early stages of pregnancy. You also have to consider the stress you will be adding in to your life if your body doesn't stick to the timetable - it can take a while to get pregnant and is very hard dealing with disappointment each month until it clicks.
Seems a bit daft to do so financially. Surely get a year or two under your belt somewhere with a decent maternity leave policy?
You’re 22 and still at uni….why on earth do you want to get pregnant now? Just get your degree, start your career and then get knocked up.
A supportive family is not enough to help you manage pregnancy symptoms and a degree. My friend announced she was pregnant in the final year of our undergrad and it ended up becoming too much for her; she actually ended up taking medical leave and completing her degree the following year. That last semester is also going to be tougher than you seem to think--I've three degrees, for context, so I do know what it's like!--and you're going to be stressed as hell. Don't make it harder on yourself (and any potential offspring). Be a little more patient.
(edited 1 year ago)
I had 2 children whilst I was in uni (a brick uni, full time).. Ultimately I ended up dropping out, because my second child was extremely clingy and just cried non-stop whenever he was left with anybody that wasn't me. It was traumatic for my mother or mother-in-law to look after him whilst I was in lectures because he was so distressed the entire time I was gone.

Only now at the age of 38 with four much older children (17, 15, 13, and 9) am I finishing my degree with The Open University part time, via distance learning.

Babies are unpredictable. Forget any neat little plans you expect your future child to fit into, because babies aren't like that. Some (like my first child) are extremely nocturnal. Some (like my second child) refuse to be looked after by other people. They don't slot into nice tidy little boxes and fit with your life plans. That's just not how it works.

If you want to plough on ahead and get pregnant right now, go ahead, but do so with the knowledge that it could be verrrry different from what you expect, and it could turn your plans upside down.
Personally I would advise you to finish your studies first at the very least.
1 word advice: Don’t.

Just don’t.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I had 2 children whilst I was in uni (a brick uni, full time).. Ultimately I ended up dropping out, because my second child was extremely clingy and just cried non-stop whenever he was left with anybody that wasn't me. It was traumatic for my mother or mother-in-law to look after him whilst I was in lectures because he was so distressed the entire time I was gone.

Only now at the age of 38 with four much older children (17, 15, 13, and 9) am I finishing my degree with The Open University part time, via distance learning.

Babies are unpredictable. Forget any neat little plans you expect your future child to fit into, because babies aren't like that. Some (like my first child) are extremely nocturnal. Some (like my second child) refuse to be looked after by other people. They don't slot into nice tidy little boxes and fit with your life plans. That's just not how it works.

If you want to plough on ahead and get pregnant right now, go ahead, but do so with the knowledge that it could be verrrry different from what you expect, and it could turn your plans upside down.
Personally I would advise you to finish your studies first at the very least.

PRSOM!
Original post by Taa031

22 it’s young in all honesty and your in your last year of uni where it counts the most surely, don’t you think you mind and focus should be on seeing out your year of uni considering where income and how finance will even be made before even thinking about a baby, you haven’t even taken that into consideration lol. Good luck and prioritise your education, get that degree and once your financially settled with a house of your own and and the support of your other half besides you then consider a family.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
It’s certainly possible that pregnancy could make completing your studies more demanding and then delay the start to your career. But if you’ve weighed it up, can afford to and want to do it, then why not. From a personal perspective I would wait to finish your course, find a job, and then get down to it
Original post by Taa031

I would in your situation wait, you're only 22 and in your final year I think it would be wise to wait until you finish university, you also have to think about your life after uni if you have a baby you won't be able to find a job for a while and after the baby is born you will probably want to spend time with him/her which will also delay your job search, but at the end of the day this is your choice! good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending