The Student Room Group

should i bother applying to medicine? helpp

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and doing a levels: Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
I am slightly worried that even if I did have amazing ucat,bmat and alevel grades it wouldn't be enough. This is because I achieved 'slightly' low gcse grades. I know my gcse grades do meet some of the entry requirements of some med schools but I am worried it wouldn't be competitive enough and would hold me back. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY HONEST AND BRUTAL. please help me and give advice. should i even retake my gcse's to get 9s? i kinda wanna get into a russell group uni btw.
My GCSE grades are
History - 8
R.E - 7
English Lit - 7
English Lan -6
Physics - 7
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 7
Biology - 6
Business BTEC L2 - Dist.
THANK YOUUU!!!
Original post by bint el kalb
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and doing a levels: Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
I am slightly worried that even if I did have amazing ucat,bmat and alevel grades it wouldn't be enough. This is because I achieved 'slightly' low gcse grades. I know my gcse grades do meet some of the entry requirements of some med schools but I am worried it wouldn't be competitive enough and would hold me back. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY HONEST AND BRUTAL. please help me and give advice. should i even retake my gcse's to get 9s? i kinda wanna get into a russell group uni btw.
My GCSE grades are
History - 8
R.E - 7
English Lit - 7
English Lan -6
Physics - 7
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 7
Biology - 6
Business BTEC L2 - Dist.
THANK YOUUU!!!

Your GCSEs are fine.

Only some medical schools put heavy weighting on GCSEs. Some medical schools like Newcastle, Bristol and Exeter don’t look at them at all (once you meet minimum requirements).

Don’t bother retaking; the most important thing is your a level grades and your ucat score.

Edit: Russel group unis don’t matter for medicine, and the grade requirements are the same for non-Russell group and Russell group unis.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just don’t apply to gcse heavy med skls like kcl
Original post by lanky_giraffe
Your GCSEs are fine.

Only some medical schools put heavy weighting on GCSEs. Some medical schools like Newcastle, Bristol and Exeter don’t look at them at all (once you meant minimum requirements).

Don’t bother retaking; the most important thing is your a level grades and your ucat score.

Edit: Russel group unis don’t matter for medicine, and the grade requirements are the same for non-Russell group and Russell group unis.

THANK YOUU but
do you think my biology gcse grade would still be an issue?
Reply 4
My GCSE grades are
History - 8
R.E - 7
English Lit - 7
English Lan -6
Physics - 7
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 7
Biology - 6
Business BTEC L2 - Dist.
THANK YOUUU!!!

Your GCSEs meet the minimum requirements for all unis I believe. Avoid the ones that really look at them in detail. There are still lots of so called 'prestigious' med schools that don't, such as Imperial, but like the first user said, rep means nothing in medicine.
thank youu so much guys!
however i/m slightly worried bout my biology grade
thank youu so much guys!
however i/m slightly worried bout my biology grade

your biology grade is fine for most med skls, just make sure you look at their requirements before applying, and whether they just use it to see if you meet the minimum criteria, or if they rank you using it. Half of applying to med skl is actually doing research on admission stats lol
Your biology grade is fine; you’re taking it at a level anyway, so your grade in GCSE biology is almost irrelevant.

FYI 95% of medical schools' minimum requirements are just 6s in English and maths, some of them require 5+ subjects at grade 7, but you have that.

It’s a pretty big misconception that GCSEs matter LOADS for medicine; they don’t, now get on and get good a-level grades; because trust me, they matter.
(edited 1 year ago)
Firstly, it doesn't matter whether you go to a Russell Group uni for medicine or not. Where you study medicine literally does not matter, because the NHS - the only provider of postgraduate medical training - considers all medical schools equal and to that end, blinds recruiters from your medical school data so that specialty recruitment literally cannot be directly biased by your medical school.

Secondly, not all medical schools weight GCSEs that much, with some putting no weight on them at all, or only requiring minimum grades in specific subjects and then don't score GCSEs beyond that. It is up to you as a medicine applicant to review the methodologies of the medical schools you are considering to assess whether your profile makes you competitive for them - and to find the ones that you are competitive for.

Ultimately medicine as a profession is evidence based, and you should be able to utilise such approaches now by actually seeking out the evidence (i.e. the actual published requirements on the medical school's webpages) to then develop an informed plan around. Not basing it on supposition, rumour, and myth.
(edited 1 year ago)
My GCSE grades are
History - 8
R.E - 7
English Lit - 7
English Lan -6
Physics - 7
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 7
Biology - 6
Business BTEC L2 - Dist.
THANK YOUUU!!!

absolutely. A levels are far more important. Doing 4 a levels is great but if you're struggling don't worry about dropping one of them if you struggle with the work load having 4 doesn't increase your chances especially if you can't manage them well.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous9795
absolutely if you meet the minimum usually 5 7s for most unis you'll be considered. A levels are far more important usually favouring a higher chemistry grade and then biology and one other stem. doing 4 a levels is great but if you're struggling don't worry about dropping one of physics or maths if you struggle with the work load having 4 doesn't hugely increase your chances especially if you can't manage them well.

Only 5 med schools consider A levels beyond minimum requirements; 13 score GCSEs
3 stem subjects are only necessary for 1 med school. Chemistry is not required by all, nor is biology
Having 4 A levels does not increase your chances anywhere
My GCSE grades are
History - 8
R.E - 7
English Lit - 7
English Lan -6
Physics - 7
Maths - 7
Chemistry - 7
Biology - 6
Business BTEC L2 - Dist.
THANK YOUUU!!!

It is absolutely possible to apply with those grades, BUT, suggest that you look carefully at the application process for all of them, the weighting that they give to GCSEs in the process, and the specific grades and subjects they require.

I found doing a spreadsheet with all of them on, and highlighting in red the ones that Gcses didn’t meet (some require 7s for STEM for example). Then looking more at the ones that GCSEs currently met, and keep looking and checking because the application processes do change (sometimes up to the very very last minute) and read everything carefully. Sometimes they bury stuff in the applications process doc so read it all even if you think it doesn’t apply.

and keep watching them. In my limited experience although they may change the process, or poss increase the emphasis on GCSEs or how they treat them, I haven’t seen any reduce the grades they need for a subject.

the rest will depend on admissions tests results and a level choices. Good luck.

nb. I would go with GANFYDs advice on this re the fourth a level, but I would say if your choice is between a fourth A level and an EPQ in year 13 I would go for the EPQ option as several med schools seem to give alternate offers if you have one. Not the case for fourth A levels.

And join this thread.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126857
(edited 1 year ago)
Don’t do a fourth a level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending