The Student Room Group

Nervous system subdivisions

Can anyone help please I seem to be stuck on this! I couldn't find precise info on this online: The nervous system helps all parts of the body communicate, it's made up of several subdivisions, each having structural and functional characteristics that distinguish it from others.

Nervous System
Central Nervous System -----> 2 subdivisions -----> then one of those subdivisions divides into another three

Peripheral Nervous System------> into two subdivisions:
Somatic -----> into two subdivisions
Autonomic-----> into two subdivisions

I'm guessing the first two under CNS are BRAIN and SPINAL CORD, but I can't understand what the other three subdivisions are. Also, I'm guessing under autonomic are Parasympathetic and Sympathetic, but can't work out the ones under Somatic.

Any help will be hugely appreciated,

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by bobbie993
Can anyone help please I seem to be stuck on this! I couldn't find precise info on this online: The nervous system helps all parts of the body communicate, it's made up of several subdivisions, each having structural and functional characteristics that distinguish it from others.

Nervous System
Central Nervous System -----> 2 subdivisions -----> then one of those subdivisions divides into another three

Peripheral Nervous System------> into two subdivisions:
Somatic -----> into two subdivisions
Autonomic-----> into two subdivisions

I'm guessing the first two under CNS are BRAIN and SPINAL CORD, but I can't understand what the other three subdivisions are. Also, I'm guessing under autonomic are Parasympathetic and Sympathetic, but can't work out the ones under Somatic.

Any help will be hugely appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm not certain about these answers so don't take my word for it haha, but I'm relatively sure, as you said: CNS into the brain and spinal cord. I'm not certain as my research yielded little results, but the parts of the brain you need to know of might be the cerebellum, cerebral cortex and medulla? Hopefully these ring a bell. Somatic I think divides into afferent and efferent parts, or sensory and motor. As you said, autonomic is para- and sympathetic, but you might also need to know enteric? I'm not actually in this subject at all, so all this is from my own research, please be warned about that, but hopefully someone more experienced will come along to confirm/deny, or these ring a bell.
If these are miraculously right, hope it helped, good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
Hi, I'm not certain about these answers so don't take my word for it haha, but I'm relatively sure, as you said: CNS into the brain and spinal cord. I'm not certain as my research yielded little results, but the parts of the brain you need to know of might be the cerebellum, cerebral cortex and medulla? Hopefully these ring a bell. Somatic I think divides into afferent and efferent parts, or sensory and motor. As you said, autonomic is para- and sympathetic, but you might also need to know enteric? I'm not actually in this subject at all, so all this is from my own research, please be warned about that, but hopefully someone more experienced will come along to confirm/deny, or these ring a bell.
If these are miraculously right, hope it helped, good luck!

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
No problem :biggrin:, hope everything goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending