Turn on thread page Beta

What age is it that you can actually drive? watch

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much as it says in the title..

Not sure if it has actually changed to 18 or if its still 17! The people i have asked always say a different answer.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's still 17. See DirectGov.

ReputationRep:
    currently i believe the legal age is 17

however ive heard the government have plans to make the tests alot harder so that they require atleast a year of driving lessons to master increasing the effective age to 18

dont quote me on that :P

ReputationRep:
    You can drive on private land from any age, you can learn to drive with instructors from 16 on private land, and you can drive on the roads from 17, obv. starting with instructors then by yourself when you pass lol

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone that helps alot

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it's still 17 but its going to change to 18 at somepoint next year =)

ReputationRep:
    17, but 16 if you're disabled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Mulder)
    Pretty sure it's still 17 but its going to change to 18 at somepoint next year =)
    Thanks, hopefully it will change after my birthday ha

ReputationRep:
    This is the rumour every year, it isn't in the plans to change the age you can drive atm lol

http://www.2pass.co.uk/driving-age.htm

ReputationRep:
    Please don't spread this rumour - the driving age is 17, and will be staying 17 for the foreseeable future.

I don't know where this starts, but pretty much everyone seems to believe that the driving age is just about the increase as they approach their 17th birthday! :rolleyes:

http://www.2pass.co.uk/ages.htm might help, as well.

ReputationRep:
    I hope they dont change the law as i want to drive soon. however i dont want to be delayed by a WHOLE year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeforever)
    This is the rumour every year, it isn't in the plans to change the age you can drive atm lol

http://www.2pass.co.uk/driving-age.htm
    Beaten to it, it seems - and by a better link! :o:

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like to point to http://learningtodrive.dsa.gov.uk/pages/faqs

ReputationRep:
    right how much insurance are people paying yearly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footballcrazy12)

if i tell you, it may put you off driving...

i should be passing very soon, and the cost of adding me on my mums policy (she has like 10 yrs NCB and no points or claims in the past 5 years) will cost an extra £1000, and guess what its just a 2005 peugeot 206 1.4 !

so i'll be payin £1127 a year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumTheory)
    17, but 16 if you're disabled or in the army.
    fixed.

ReputationRep:
    You a guy or a girl?

I'm paying £880-odd without Pass Plus - 20% off after i've done it. That's driving a 13-year-old Polo, and me as the main driver.

One of my friends pays £1900 as he drives a 06-plate 206, and he's a boy. Gutted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    if i tell you, it may put you off driving...

i should be passing very soon, and the cost of adding me on my mums policy (she has like 10 yrs NCB and no points or claims in the past 5 years) will cost an extra £1000, and guess what its just a 2005 peugeot 206 1.4 !

so i'll be payin £1127 a year!
    i drive already :woo: LOL my dad pays £1400 for the VW golf 1.4 that i drive and its W reg. insurance is a piss take i know
    i hate the guts of insurance companies!!!!

ReputationRep:

Almost £2000 on a 2 litre Rover (with an Any Driver policy - they wouldn't even quote for me as it's classed as a sports car :rolleyes:)

Around £500 on my Austin 7

Around £400 on a Citroen

ReputationRep:
    £511, I've been driving for a year and have pass plus my first year was £640, I love my car!

(Original post by Illusionary)
    Beaten to it, it seems - and by a better link!
    only by two seconds lol, and the link's off the same website :p:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.