The Student Room Group

blood in stool so anxious:(((

so today my stool looked a normal brown but then it had red bits in it and then it made the toilet water red so ig it was blood and that has really really scared me idk what to do i’m terrified. I’m going to call my doctor but i’m so worried :frown:(((
Reply 1
Firstly just review your diet and check for any red coloured food products that may be causing the red colouring (beetroot is the favourite) It's amazing how many foods can play havoc with poo.

You are right to call your doctor and blood in your poo is a common issue, which has many causes.

Fresh blood is usually from the lower part of your bowel. It can be from haemorrhoids (piles) If you have been straining for a poo, are pregnant or sitting for long periods of time. Veins lining your intestine near your poo hole can become engorged and bleed a little when you go to the toilet, particularly if they are irritated.They are annoying rather than life threatening, and chemists sell anaesthetic cream for them.

Dark tarry poo or dark tarry blood is usually a sign blood has been partly digested higher up in your intestinal system. That can be from infections, tumours, ulcerative sections of bowel. There are many causes.

So easy to say if its not you - but don't panic. There will usually be a simple explanation, and you are doing the right thing getting this checked out as soon as you are worried.
Original post by Muttly
Firstly just review your diet and check for any red coloured food products that may be causing the red colouring (beetroot is the favourite) It's amazing how many foods can play havoc with poo.

You are right to call your doctor and blood in your poo is a common issue, which has many causes.

Fresh blood is usually from the lower part of your bowel. It can be from haemorrhoids (piles) If you have been straining for a poo, are pregnant or sitting for long periods of time. Veins lining your intestine near your poo hole can become engorged and bleed a little when you go to the toilet, particularly if they are irritated.They are annoying rather than life threatening, and chemists sell anaesthetic cream for them.

Dark tarry poo or dark tarry blood is usually a sign blood has been partly digested higher up in your intestinal system. That can be from infections, tumours, ulcerative sections of bowel. There are many causes.

So easy to say if its not you - but don't panic. There will usually be a simple explanation, and you are doing the right thing getting this checked out as soon as you are worried.

I did have beetroot in a wrap the day before but idk i have eaten beetroot other times and that hasn’t happened. Thank you for the advice!!
As above poster said, anything red that you've eaten can show up in your poo. If you've been constipated, sometimes you can cause a small tear in your rear end which will bleed for a short while.

But definitely go see your doctor to put your mind at ease.

Quick Reply

Latest