The Student Room Group

My parents spent £1500 on a laptop for me to use at uni. Not sure what to do about it

About 6 months ago my parents spend £1500 on a new laptop for my birthday for me to use at university (I'm at uni now). I thought it was insane and absolutely absurd of them to invest so much money. After using it at uni for about 7-8 weeks I realised that there is no point because I could have used the laptop which I originally had prior. I'm not sure what to do now because there is no reason for me to have such an expensive device because all I need to do is access the uni website and get my work done. I feel like I'm stocking up money like hoarding diamonds.
Besides feeling insane and absurd, probably you may feel grateful for this... You may consider to donate the old one to someone needs it.
Original post by Yat Yat
Besides feeling insane and absurd, probably you may feel grateful for this... You may consider to donate the old one to someone needs it.

The things is, I don’t actually feel grateful I feel like they literally just wasted money. I could upgrade the old one by adding some ram maybe replacing the battery somehow for cheap. The old one wasn’t amazing but it was good enough to do the job.
Original post by SpanishGonkey
About 6 months ago my parents spend £1500 on a new laptop for my birthday for me to use at university (I'm at uni now). I thought it was insane and absolutely absurd of them to invest so much money. After using it at uni for about 7-8 weeks I realised that there is no point because I could have used the laptop which I originally had prior. I'm not sure what to do now because there is no reason for me to have such an expensive device because all I need to do is access the uni website and get my work done. I feel like I'm stocking up money like hoarding diamonds.

How old is your previous laptop and what is the name of your new laptop? :smile:
Something to bear in mind is maybe they thought your previous laptop wouldn't last the length of your course, and its always useful to have enough storage and not have a slow laptop.

Saying that though I kind of get it, I'd be bummed as rthe researching phase of ever investing in a new device is my favourite :redface:
Nothing to do. Be grateful that your parents care about your studies and have the means to support you.

If you know more about a subject like technology, maybe next time speak to them in advance to try and save money.
Original post by Chronoscope
How old is your previous laptop and what is the name of your new laptop? :smile:
Something to bear in mind is maybe they thought your previous laptop wouldn't last the length of your course, and its always useful to have enough storage and not have a slow laptop.

Saying that though I kind of get it, I'd be bummed as rthe researching phase of ever investing in a new device is my favourite :redface:

Old laptop is about 4 years old and it was about £300 when new.
the new model is Samsung galaxy book 2 pro 360: https://www.samsung.com/uk/computers/galaxy-book/galaxy-book2-pro-360-15inch-i7-16gb-512gb-np950qed-kb2uk/
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zerforax
Nothing to do. Be grateful that your parents care about your studies and have the means to support you.

If you know more about a subject like technology, maybe next time speak to them in advance to try and save money.

The thing is, I don’t like being grateful to my parents because then it feels like I am at their mercy.
The thing is, I don’t like being grateful to my parents because then it feels like I am at their mercy.

I can’t tell if you are joking or not? They have literally gifted you a laptop worth more than what some families have to live on a month and you ‘don’t like being grateful’ over some stupid ego thing. If you are that ungrateful give that laptop to your local food bank I’m sure they will find a child who would be grateful🙄

This is some first world problem right here, you come across as privalidged and ungrateful, how proud would your parents be of you for this attitude?
They bought this for you because they feel proud of you and wanted you to have a decent smart bit of kit, perhaps it has a better camera for Skype so that they can stay in touch with their wonderful child.
You could use it to invest some time learning about decent sentence construction instead of whining about your oh so terrible predicament.
The things is, I don’t actually feel grateful I feel like they literally just wasted money. I could upgrade the old one by adding some ram maybe replacing the battery somehow for cheap. The old one wasn’t amazing but it was good enough to do the job.

You spoiled little brat
Reply 10

sell Ur old laptop or something.
Original post by hoyc1
This is some first world problem right here, you come across as privalidged and ungrateful, how proud would your parents be of you for this attitude?
They bought this for you because they feel proud of you and wanted you to have a decent smart bit of kit, perhaps it has a better camera for Skype so that they can stay in touch with their wonderful child.
You could use it to invest some time learning about decent sentence construction instead of whining about your oh so terrible predicament.

I mean they already know that I'm privileged and ungrateful but they don't say anything about it
Original post by j8ko8
sell Ur old laptop or something.

I'd travel back home from uni for that
Original post by username5874344
I mean they already know that I'm privileged and ungrateful but they don't say anything about it

They probably don't want you to feel that you are 'at their mercy', you clearly have some reflection to do.
You seem to be expressing guilt that they would want you to have nice things.
Be kind, say thank you, use the new laptop, and donate the old one. Be happy that your parents care.
OP has deleted their account 💀
Original post by Talkative Toad
OP has deleted their account 💀

'Their' account, whom do you refer to? Who's accounts are deleted?
Original post by Yat Yat
'Their' account, whom do you refer to? Who's accounts are deleted?

The person who made this thread has deleted their TSR account.

Quick Reply

Latest