The Student Room Group

Mechanical or Electrical Engineering

I’ve been going back and forth between applying for mechanical or electrical engineering and recently was more keen or mechanical.
Was wondering if anyone is able to tell me which one would be better/what the courses would entail and careers?
Original post by cg445
I’ve been going back and forth between applying for mechanical or electrical engineering and recently was more keen or mechanical.
Was wondering if anyone is able to tell me which one would be better/what the courses would entail and careers?

Its not better or worse, but they are different.

The differences are inherently implicit in the degree titles. Mechanical deals with forces & energy pertaining to mechanical systems. And electrical deals with forces & energy in electrical systems.

Id say electrical is probably slightly more in demand overall then mechanical but go with what interests you more.
icl i think eee is the way to go or eie cos you learn a lot more programming in these degrees and this is arguably one of the best skills you can have for the future (take this with a pinch of salt though, im a prospective student so i have 0 experience basically)
Springpod has some Virtual Work Experience programmes in engineering that can help give you a lot more insight :smile:
Fifth year mech eng student here. I chose mechanical over other eng programs because mechanical engineering is by far the most broad. I wasn't certain on the career path I wanted but mechanical engineering allowed me to keep as many options available as I couldAlso, I prefer mech eng because the problems are tangible. Whether its a beam under stress or a motor with a certain torque or a surface with a given convection coefficient, the problems are tangible. Elec, is much more theoretical and sometimes can be harder for me personally to wrap my head around.Best of luck in engineering. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending