This discussion is closed.
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
i think the title is right, but here goes.

What i mean is if a car travelling at 60ms^-1 crashes into a wall, the impact force is 60ms^1.

But i was thinking what the impact force was if the car was a liquid- water travelling at 60ms^-1. Would the impact force still be 60ms^-1??
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by saiyamana)

What i mean is if a car travelling at 60ms^-1 crashes into a wall, the impact force is 60ms^1.

But i was thinking what the impact force was if the car was a liquid- water travelling at 60ms^-1. Would the impact force still be 60ms^-1??
I don't see how the impact force can be measured in ms^-1 - those are velocity units. Forces are measured in Newtons (or equivalently kg m s^-2).

The impact force would depend on the momentum of the object and over how long the force was applied, using the

Impulse = force x time

rule. That it was a car or water that had that momentum shouldn't matter.
BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by saiyamana)

Don't understand, why the impact force has unit ms^-1?
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
lol, never mind, i'm gettin confused with my units.
anchemis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well... does not matter what object it is... its the mass of the object that matters.... if one tonnes worth of foam collides with you... you can still feel the force of that one tonne.... although.. if you are doing material coursework... then the material matters as some provide 'cushioning'... but the uncushioned force is identical
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise