The Student Room Group

A level option

I'm currently in year 11, and I'm going to pick my option for a level. I would like to either pick chem bio or something else (3rd subject doesn't matter).
However, I do not want to pick bio chem together as it will very stressful and challenging. I'm fine tacking either one of them. So my question is which one is better for a wide career choice?

ps, i will me doing maths core.
Original post by io432
I'm currently in year 11, and I'm going to pick my option for a level. I would like to either pick chem bio or something else (3rd subject doesn't matter).
However, I do not want to pick bio chem together as it will very stressful and challenging. I'm fine tacking either one of them. So my question is which one is better for a wide career choice?

Core Maths isn't an A level ...
Just be aware that one science on it own is a bit limiting for Uni choices - most top Unis will want two sciences for these subjects ar degree level, ie Chemistry will need Chem and another science etc.

Advice about A level etc choices - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Good careers website with lots of job / career profiles - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles
NHS careers - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/explore-roles
Not going to Uni - other ideas - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Etc.
Original post by io432

Hi there!

I personally did both Bio and Chem at A-Level, and although it was tricky at times to keep up with the content, there are definitely ways around it to make them less stressful even if you do both! So I personally wouldn't rule out doing both, and i'd try to have a think about what career you might like to go into :h:. There are some uni courses that require you to have at least one of them as the above poster mentioned, so doing a little search on Google on what might interest you is what i'd recommend :u:. Lmk if you have any questions about doing either Bio/Chem or both at A-level!

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind
Reply 4
Original post by StudyMind
Hi there!

I personally did both Bio and Chem at A-Level, and although it was tricky at times to keep up with the content, there are definitely ways around it to make them less stressful even if you do both! So I personally wouldn't rule out doing both, and i'd try to have a think about what career you might like to go into :h:. There are some uni courses that require you to have at least one of them as the above poster mentioned, so doing a little search on Google on what might interest you is what i'd recommend :u:. Lmk if you have any questions about doing either Bio/Chem or both at A-level!

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind

Thank you for the reply, At the moment i might pick chem, but still dont kno where this would get me.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Core Maths isn't an A level ...

never said it was an alevel.
Reply 6
Hi there!

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind

If i dont take both sciences i will take geography.
Original post by io432
never said it was an alevel.

No but for modst STEM degrees you'd need A level Maths - what ate you planning to do at uni?
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
No but for modst STEM degrees you'd need A level Maths - what ate you planning to do at uni?

Anything science.(pharmacy ect)
Reply 9
Hi there!

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind

I might to do chem,but the thing that puts me off is 60% is apparently is maths which i do not like.
do you know what sort of career path you want to go down, because when I made my A level choices I had no idea what I wanted to do but I knew what subjects I enjoyed the most (those being Biology, Geography and Religious Studies) and doing those subjects have given me a better idea for what I want to do in the future.
Original post by io432
Anything science.(pharmacy ect)

Check degree requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest