The Student Room Group

Which universities are great for a law degree

Hi everyone, I’m currently in year 12 and searching for universities to apply to next year and was wondering which others may know of that may be good. My computer generated grades from gcses are 3 As in History, politics and sociology but I am working for an A*A*A minimum. My top choices are Lse, Ucl, Cambridge possibly and some other options I have considered were Leeds, Durham, Manchester, Southampton, Kings college london, Queens Mary but was wondering what I could have that had lower requirements so that I have 2 safe options. I have a lot of experiences and currently am apart of the pathways to law 2 year course at Lse and the Cambridge Caius 12 programme and have applied for more. I qualify for the contextual offer at ucl and it says it would be given if my application is successful so then it would require me to get BBB. I qualify for most contextual offers on the unis I’ve listed although I am aware it’s never guaranteed. Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by Hailey629
Hi everyone, I’m currently in year 12 and searching for universities to apply to next year and was wondering which others may know of that may be good. My computer generated grades from gcses are 3 As in History, politics and sociology but I am working for an A*A*A minimum. My top choices are Lse, Ucl, Cambridge possibly and some other options I have considered were Leeds, Durham, Manchester, Southampton, Kings college london, Queens Mary but was wondering what I could have that had lower requirements so that I have 2 safe options. I have a lot of experiences and currently am apart of the pathways to law 2 year course at Lse and the Cambridge Caius 12 programme and have applied for more. I qualify for the contextual offer at ucl and it says it would be given if my application is successful so then it would require me to get BBB. I qualify for most contextual offers on the unis I’ve listed although I am aware it’s never guaranteed. Any help would be appreciated.

I (past tense) read law at Kings.

I personally, would ditch the LSE and QM. Going to university in London is a mare at the best of times, and those two don't offer a good trade off in my opinion for experience vs cost-benefit.

Cambridge, UCL, Bristol, Durham, Kings - you're looking at A*AA and an LNAT.

If you want an insurance, then the top drawer alternates like Notts and Soton are still asking for AAA and I think an LNAT for Notts - this isn't much of a back up really. Lancaster might be a grade below that. Anything a tier below that and you could probably get in clearing.

I personaly would pick three from Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Bristol, Kings - and then two from York, Notts, Soton and maybe Warwick or Lancaster. You could roll the dice on Birmingham giving you a lowball offer to firm as they did during covid. But think about what you are trying to achieve. If you just want to read law, then fairs. If it's practise though, then I would honestly try and get into a top uni on a course offering lower grades. You might get into the same unis on a grade lower for history, or two grades lower for joint honours - and then do the whole vac scheme and pro bono stuff from there.

Quick Reply

Latest