How hard is it to get a first? Watch

This discussion is closed.
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by The Messiah)
A friend of mine who left LSE last year informed me that a 1st class requires at least 70 hours a week of solid work. and if u can match this, a first class shouldn't be too far-fetched. and also loads of extra material,, i.e reading... your tutors should be to guiable de you on the lonely path to a 1st class degree.

peace
That's absolute rubbish. It isn't about the hours you put in. It's perfectly possible to get a first at a good university on about 20 hrs a week.
The Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
70 hours a week?! :eek:
its obscene isn't it, but its fu**ing worth the hassle. thats only 10hrs a day on 7 day week. excluding hols.. for three years.. hmmm
The Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by d750)
That's absolute rubbish. It isn't about the hours you put in. It's perfectly possible to get a first at a good university on about 20 hrs a week.
nows thats absolute rubbish... 20 hrs a week wont get u a degree.. maybe at oxbridge where your brains are larger than normal.. bu i think its highly improbable..
i'm sure you do much more than 20 hrs a week anyway!!!!! dont delude yourself
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't do 10 hours a day work unless the essay deadline is coming up soon... and I've still managed to get a 1st in all my History essays since the beginning of my first year, so it can't be all THAT hard to get 1sts in humanity subjects. Proof of this is that I haven't yet managed to get a 1st in a Music essay...

I'm at RHUL, by the way, so I haven't got the excuse that it's a crap university! (Its History and Music departments are both very highly rated).
The Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kew96158)
I don't do 10 hours a day work unless the essay deadline is coming up soon... and I've still managed to get a 1st in all my History essays since the beginning of my first year, so it can't be all THAT hard to get 1sts in humanity subjects. Proof of this is that I haven't yet managed to get a 1st in a Music essay...

I'm at RHUL, by the way, so I haven't got the excuse that it's a crap university! (Its History and Music departments are both very highly rated).
no offence, history is a very reputable sbject,, however i think law requires more work.. its also more complex
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no offence, i think law requires more work.. its also more complex
You bet???
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I currently do about 30-40 hours a week including lectures and I am hoping to get a 60% 2:1. My course manual says than on average you need to spend 12 hours per week per module now thats 6 modules per week which equates to 72 hours per week!

At the end of the day half the point of the degree is it shows employers you are willing to sacrafice things and work hard.

Show me any science subject where you can get a 1st buy putting in 20 hours a week and I will eat my hat.
d750
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
nows thats absolute rubbish... 20 hrs a week wont get u a degree.. maybe at oxbridge where your brains are larger than normal.. bu i think its highly improbable..
i'm sure you do much more than 20 hrs a week anyway!!!!! dont delude yourself
20 hrs a week is more than enough. I've just completed a degree by putting in those kinds of hours. It really isn't necessary to spend all day in the library, as long as your mind is ticking over while you do other things.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Very hard at most universities; laughably easy if you go to Warwick.
Speaking ONLY for Comp Sci, currently around 4% of my year are averaging a 1st. Wouldn't know where to find stats for other uni's so I really can't compare. The one thing I would say is that University standards (dispite popular rumour) ARE externally monitored so you might want to make some qualifications on broad sweeping comments such as that before you post them.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just out of interest, how hard is it to get a 2.1? That's what I'll be aiming for
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by d750)
20 hrs a week is more than enough. I've just completed a degree by putting in those kinds of hours. It really isn't necessary to spend all day in the library, as long as your mind is ticking over while you do other things.
What are you studying? Sex studies with alchohol consumption?

I don't see how you can get a first at any degree with just 20 hours I mean lectures take nearly that much, do you not have to research and reading outside normal hours?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Just out of interest, how hard is it to get a 2.1? That's what I'll be aiming for
It depends, I think if you are good at the subject you can get a 2:1 if you put the same amount of effort as you did with your A levels in it (depending on grades). To get 60% you don't need to burst a gut or give up your social life but it does require some dedication and organisation.
d750
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
What are you studying? Sex studies with alchohol consumption?

I don't see how you can get a first at any degree with just 20 hours I mean lectures take nearly that much, do you not have to research and reading outside normal hours?
:rolleyes: I was studying classics. I didn't go to lectures, so I just had a tute or two each week. I think I would have had to have put in a lot more hours if I had to go to lectures / classes. But without them, I could spend my work time specifically on what I needed to do, without any other academic demands on my time.
SophistiCat
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by ilovemonkeys)
If you're asking how hard it is, I don't think you're going to get one.
How would you know just from me asking that question?!
I'm not even at uni yet- I was just curious about it. I wasn't the best student at school though, and I'm planning on putting a lot of effort into my degree to make up for my laziness in the past!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SophistiCat)
I'm not even at uni yet- I was just curious about it. I wasn't the best student at school though, and I'm planning on putting a lot of effort into my degree to make up for my laziness in the past!
A lot of mature students tend to get good grades for this reason, many of them have did badly in their A levels but are now very mature and work damn hard. Ability does have a lot do with it but if you put 100% effort into then you should get a 2:1, however you can struggle with a subject and put 100% in which I can imagine would be very frustrating. I feel very sorry for these students as if you put 100% in its not your fault what grade you get.

To get a first I think have to both work very hard and also be a genius. I managed to just about scrape a 1st for my second year, there is no way I will be getting anything like that this year though, the final year project is just too much for me.
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you certainly don't've to be a genius to get a first! you have to be bright yes; but you don't have to be out of this world either.
SophistiCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
A lot of mature students tend to get good grades for this reason, many of them have did badly in their A levels but are now very mature and work damn hard. Ability does have a lot do with it but if you put 100% effort into then you should get a 2:1, however you can struggle with a subject and put 100% in which I can imagine would be very frustrating. I feel very sorry for these students as if you put 100% in its not your fault what grade you get.

To get a first I think have to both work very hard and also be a genius. I managed to just about scrape a 1st for my second year, there is no way I will be getting anything like that this year though, the final year project is just too much for me.
I see your point. I wouldn't exactly say I was a genius or anything but I think I have some originality when it comes to literature and writing (I have a place at Sheffield for English lit).

I just don't really know what to expect... i've never put effort into work before but still managed to do well- I definately don't expect nor want to carry on like this at degree level.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
I've argued against someone but I've not actually answered the origninal question.....

It is very difficult to get a first no matter what you study. It's probably easier to get one if you study a science subject because there are often difinitive answers to what you are asked and as such they must award full marks if you give them what they want. In contrast arts subjects are at least to some extent subjective and hence there is less consistency in the marking. I can only speak as a first year so this is pretty limited but....I know people who put in hours and hours of work and are averaging much less than a 1st and I know people who are harldy lifiting a finger and are somehow averaging more than a 1st. I am of the belief that a 1st is something that you get through a mixture of natural ability in your given subject and hard work. If you have more ability then you can relax a little on the work front but if you struggle with the material then you WILL have to work your ass off.
SophistiCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leekey)
I know people who put in hours and hours of work and are averaging much less than a 1st and I know people who are harldy lifiting a finger and are somehow averaging more than a 1st. I am of the belief that a 1st is something that you get through a mixture of natural ability in your given subject and hard work. If you have more ability then you can realax a little on the work front but if you struggle with the material then you WILL have to work your ass off.
Yeah- but that's the same with A levels really. I knew a lot of people who put tons of effort in and did really badly.
Would you say natural ability was more important than hard graft at degree level?
d750
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Would you say natural ability was more important than hard graft at degree level?
It depends where and what you're studying, to a certain extent. But ability only seems important in determining how many hours you need to work to get the result you want. People say that to get a first etc. you need natural ability, but there were plenty of people who got one (at Oxford) through a certain amount of natural ability, supplemented to a great extent by sheer hard work and determination. And there were also some people who got one through considerably less work.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads