The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

MSc Immunology King's College London

does anyone know where to find past paper's for MSc Immunology for KCL students?
Original post by Anonymous
does anyone know where to find past paper's for MSc Immunology for KCL students?

This should be located in the past paper archive on their website.

Slightly unrelated, but can you tell me how the degree is going for you? Immunology sounds interesting and I'm applying to KCL (for biomed).
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by sleep_supremacy
This should be located in the past paper archive on their website.

Slightly unrelated, but can you tell me how the degree is going for you? Immunology sounds interesting and I'm applying to KCL (for biomed).

im not sure how to find this on their website, ive checked many links on their website, would you be able to let me know or send a link through here?

i did BSc Biomedical Sciences (Sandwich) at westminster and graduated this year, MSc is a very big jump from undergrad, due to KCL also being a russell group uni, it is quite full on. I'd also say if you want to get lab experience or work in a lab, you should apply for an IBMS accredited biomed degree which offers a placement, im not sure if KCL does so would be worth checking this
im not sure how to find this on their website, ive checked many links on their website, would you be able to let me know or send a link through here?

i did BSc Biomedical Sciences (Sandwich) at westminster and graduated this year, MSc is a very big jump from undergrad, due to KCL also being a russell group uni, it is quite full on. I'd also say if you want to get lab experience or work in a lab, you should apply for an IBMS accredited biomed degree which offers a placement, im not sure if KCL does so would be worth checking this

I believe this would be in a section restricted to KCL students only. Unfortunately, I don't know much beyond that. I'll ask my friends in KCL, but it may take them a while to answer.

Are you aiming to go into research? I'm not planning to go into hospital work or the NHS, so I'm not applying to IBMS-accredited unis. KCL does offer the opportunity for taking a placement during their biomed BSc. I'm not sure about masters.
I believe this would be in a section restricted to KCL students only. Unfortunately, I don't know much beyond that. I'll ask my friends in KCL, but it may take them a while to answer.

Are you aiming to go into research? I'm not planning to go into hospital work or the NHS, so I'm not applying to IBMS-accredited unis. KCL does offer the opportunity for taking a placement during their biomed BSc. I'm not sure about masters.

okay, i will check again and if you can ask that would be greatly appreciated thank you.

im HCPC registered as a band 5 biomedical scientist due to my placement year in undergrad. if you already know you dont want to work in a lab etc then thats fine i guess you wont need to do a placement year. im not going into research, i wanted to do MSc in immunology to get a band 6 trainee role in an immunology lab once i finish my master's as MSc is one of the requirements for a band 6, i think for you it will depend on your grades also, KCL is very full on, a lot of the work, you are expected to be independent and just know it (to an extent), again this is me just speaking from my personal experience atm, i'm guessing this would be the same for undergrad as KCL seems to have high expectations for their students at any level
okay, i will check again and if you can ask that would be greatly appreciated thank you.

im HCPC registered as a band 5 biomedical scientist due to my placement year in undergrad. if you already know you dont want to work in a lab etc then thats fine i guess you wont need to do a placement year. im not going into research, i wanted to do MSc in immunology to get a band 6 trainee role in an immunology lab once i finish my master's as MSc is one of the requirements for a band 6, i think for you it will depend on your grades also, KCL is very full on, a lot of the work, you are expected to be independent and just know it (to an extent), again this is me just speaking from my personal experience atm, i'm guessing this would be the same for undergrad as KCL seems to have high expectations for their students at any level

You don't need to do a placement if you don't plan to go into the NHS/hospitals? Really? I'm looking to go into research, cancer research to be specific, but that could change :smile:

Any textbook recs for immunology? The topic sounds interesting, but I haven't been able to find any good copies. I expected KCL to be pretty tough to manage. Were you in the Guy's campus? (That's where life sciences are, right?)

KCL vs Birmingham is the big debate for me, and I've decided to first wait and see which unis make me offers before deciding :laugh:
You don't need to do a placement if you don't plan to go into the NHS/hospitals? Really? I'm looking to go into research, cancer research to be specific, but that could change :smile:

Any textbook recs for immunology? The topic sounds interesting, but I haven't been able to find any good copies. I expected KCL to be pretty tough to manage. Were you in the Guy's campus? (That's where life sciences are, right?)

KCL vs Birmingham is the big debate for me, and I've decided to first wait and see which unis make me offers before deciding :laugh:

im not too sure but from what i know the placements from ibms accredited uni's will help you to be hcpc registered as a band 5, but even for you if you want general experience i guess kcl placements will be more suitable for you because you can go into any placement, whereas with my undergrad, my whole class including me did it in a lab if that makes sense.

janeway's immunobiology book is the main one recommended by a lot of people for immunology, 900 pages long, im yet to start reading it but apparently it's really good

yeah im in guy's normally, not sure for sem 2 though as that will be the start of the research project so i'll be based in a lab somewhere depending on my disso topic

also both those uni's are different as ones in london and one isnt, i think your choice will depend on if you want to study out of london as well, i also think if you did go to kcl for undergrad, this will look better on your cv as well

biomed is a great degree though, in general i really enjoyed it and learnt so much, you can also go into different career paths with it as well x
im not too sure but from what i know the placements from ibms accredited uni's will help you to be hcpc registered as a band 5, but even for you if you want general experience i guess kcl placements will be more suitable for you because you can go into any placement, whereas with my undergrad, my whole class including me did it in a lab if that makes sense.

janeway's immunobiology book is the main one recommended by a lot of people for immunology, 900 pages long, im yet to start reading it but apparently it's really good

yeah im in guy's normally, not sure for sem 2 though as that will be the start of the research project so i'll be based in a lab somewhere depending on my disso topic

also both those uni's are different as ones in london and one isnt, i think your choice will depend on if you want to study out of london as well, i also think if you did go to kcl for undergrad, this will look better on your cv as well

biomed is a great degree though, in general i really enjoyed it and learnt so much, you can also go into different career paths with it as well x

Thanks for the textbook rec! I'll see if I can get my hands on it somehow. Do you have an online copy of it by any chance?

What do you think of Guy's campus? I saw a few online videos since I couldn't make it to any open days, and it kinda feels cramped. A bit like an office. How is it really?

Which accom is best for KCL according to you? I know that getting accom is basically the hunger games, so I want to get to know as much as I can before applying :smile:

How's London for studying? I don't really see the difference. London is the biggest city in the UK, but there's other big cities too.

Do you get to choose your dissertation topic freely, or do you pick from a list, or...? Also, do you not do your dissertation within KCL itself? Don't they have a huge lab :laugh: (It seems big from the pictures.)

Quick Reply

Latest