The Student Room Group

Getting that Graduate Gig Blog

Inspired by a random forum I have seen on here (by @0le ); I’ve decided to make a graduate job blog which shares my experience of applying for jobs and my progress. It’s felt like a super isolating process: some days it’s good and I’ve got somewhere, some days it’s awful and I feel like I’ll never be employed. I’m sure I’m not alone, so I thought I would put myself out there to possibly help others and feel a bit less alone.

I’m planning on loosely showing where I have applied, giving more details when I’m rejected (lol). Once I have received a role I will upload a link to my Notion which has all the details of the roles that I applied for.

-----
An Introduction to Me

I’m a 21 y/o female undergraduate. I’m a very organised, motivated, and confident type of person. I always love chatting to people (and typing too much) so any questions, please ask! I love all sorts of things, like football, dogs, travel etc.

Locations I am looking at: Anywhere outside of London, but mostly Manchester or Edinburgh.

Roles: I’m looking mostly at business rotation roles or finance, but also some are project management.

-----
My stats

GCSE Grades: 10 A*-A or equivalent, including in Mathematics and English Language.

A Level Grades: Geography (B), French (C), Religious Studies (C) this is where I fall down lol but there were extenuating circumstances

Degree: Expected 2:1 or above in MA Geography and History from a Russell Group university I decided not to give too much although a quick search can find out where. Grades depends how confident I feel on the day but realistically a 1st.

Work experience: Two supermarkets and working in a small business in packaging.

Volunteering: Food bank and an international advocacy charity.

Societies: Editorial roles on the university newspaper, editorial role on a journal, and member of Marketing Society and Literature Association

Also working on online courses in business to show outside interest and willingness to do independent learning.

-----
How will this blog work?

I will update this blog when I feel the need, or want to respond to someone. Most posts will include updates on certain applications and feelings, but the following post will contain details of where I have applied to so far.
Reply 1
-----
Active Applications
Arcadis
J. P. Morgan
Bank of America
Stantec x2
Lloyds Banking
M&G
ARUP
BDO
Liberty Global
BNY Mellon
Bakkavor
Mercer
CGI
Mace

I won't give details on where these are for, or specifically where I am at in these until they are inactive applications.

-----
Inactive Applications
Rejected After Interview
Stantec Transport Programme Management Second option after interview.
Ballie Gifford Business Operations Rejected after interview round.
Rejection after assessment
Armstrong Watson Audit Rejected after like 2 months so clearly was considered.
Grant Thornton Audit automatic assessment
EY Graduate Strategy and Transactions
Mazars Audit Applied last minute to Manchester (probably should not have done it last minute!) and got really good feedback for assessment but rejected anyway. This is why we don’t do last minute applications!
NatWest Change & Business Solutions Did really well in the assessment but still rejected after: I think it’s just so competitive.
Not heard, assume rejection
BlackRock Finance Completed video assessment, but not heard anything since.
Saffery Champness Said they would get back to me in 7 days but no.
Rejected immediately
Ballie Gifford Investment Research
Arcadis Graduate Project Management

I have applied to 27 roles, and got to 3 interviews or assessment centres (one of the active applications I'm at AC). From what I can tell 1 in 10 is good so pretty happy!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Okay so updates:

I've got an assessment centre down in London which I've tried to book in for early December. The role is not in London though. I'm meant to be there by 9am, but I live in Scotland so would have to stay overnight... it'll be quite the expensive investment to go. I've emailed back and asked for the specific day and if there is any financial assistance, fingers crossed :crossedf: My parents said they'll probably say if I want the job I should be able to make it work (and I will, I'm lucky enough to have family who live around London) so we will see.

In other, less expensive news, I had a VI with M&G - I'm being really inconsistent with how secretive I am being. It went alright, but I did a bunch of research before the VI on stuff like technology which could be used in M&G and specifics about the company and none of it was needed. It was all behaviour based questions, which they did specify in the email. The extra research can't hurt though! I thought I did awfully in the M&G assessment so any further is such a big bonus and surprise!
Reply 3
Okay so next update:

I just did an assessment and VI for Bakkavor, and a VI for Mace. Both were iffy, I don't think they were awful but I wouldn't say they were perfect either. I kinda enjoy doing them but they were sent in an email yesterday and I had a super busy travel day so I was a tad stressed about doing them somewhat quickly.

I also got an email from BDO saying they are narrowing down the applicants to a final review, and I think that I passed the assessment.

It's these kind of days that make the application process feel okay, but I bet there will be a day in like a week where I'll get like five rejections and it'll feel like I'll never get a job.
Reply 4
An update after a few weeks.

I haven't been applying to many roles recently. My dissertation is due in like 3 days now, and so I was mostly focusing on that. I did a cheeky wee application to Ford, but only because the deadline is tomorrow. I also applied for HSBC, Atkins, TetraTech and PwC a wee while back. All other roles have a bit of a later deadline so I'm set.

I've got some positive things going forward. I got to the next round with Mercer, so did a VI with them. I also passed the benchmarks for HSBC (although I know everything is super competitive at the moment so not sure if I will progress).

I also had two assessment centres down in London this week. They were super interesting and exciting, but I really can't grasp how I did in comparison to everyone else (they were all great too!). I'm just taking these things in my stride at the moment and just taking it as a learning experience.

On the negatives, I've had a fair few rejections. PwC I didn't pass the test (lol) but it didn't bother me too much. I also have fresh rejections from Bank of America, BlackRock, J.P. Morgan, Lloyds Banking Group, and the remaining Stantec roles. Clearly me and the banks don't align :dontknow:

I think something I've learned over the last couple of weeks is that this process is like a weird rollercoaster - and when it rains it pours. I'll get multiple rejections in one day, and then multiple positive things in the following day. I had rejections either side of the assessment centres... hopefully it means something good will come from them!!!

Just to add to the list:

-----
Inactive Applications
PwC Digital Audit - Got stuck on one question in the Maths test so didn't meet their requirements... oops!
Bank of America Global Financial Management Programme - no additional info given for rejection. I would imagine it is to do with the amount of applicants (or at least that's what I'll tell myself)
BlackRock Finance Graduate - Sent an email, which may have been the same for everyone, saying that they were impressed with my background but had other candidates who more closely followed their set of requirements.
J. P. Morgan Chase Corporate Analyst Development - I can't find the rejection email for this one lol
Lloyds Banking Group Business and Commercial Banking - Was no personal feedback for this but it's fair enough.
Stantec x2 - No personal feedback there either. Will take it as my Stantec journey is over :frown:
Reply 5
How did you find out you were rejected for J.P. Morgan? I'm waiting on a response from them.
Reply 6
Original post by daytrip
How did you find out you were rejected for J.P. Morgan? I'm waiting on a response from them.

So this is a funny one. I have it in my head that I was rejected - its stuck in my head because my friend works for them. I also have a spreadsheet which I update each time there is an update in my applications and I said I was rejected... however I can't find the email for the life of me to say I was rejected
Reply 7
Any chance you have the recruitment/ early careers email of Mercer's? I experienced some technical issues with my VI and I was informed by HireVue to get in touch with them.
Original post by woshelle
An update after a few weeks.

I haven't been applying to many roles recently. My dissertation is due in like 3 days now, and so I was mostly focusing on that. I did a cheeky wee application to Ford, but only because the deadline is tomorrow. I also applied for HSBC, Atkins, TetraTech and PwC a wee while back. All other roles have a bit of a later deadline so I'm set.

I've got some positive things going forward. I got to the next round with Mercer, so did a VI with them. I also passed the benchmarks for HSBC (although I know everything is super competitive at the moment so not sure if I will progress).

I also had two assessment centres down in London this week. They were super interesting and exciting, but I really can't grasp how I did in comparison to everyone else (they were all great too!). I'm just taking these things in my stride at the moment and just taking it as a learning experience.

On the negatives, I've had a fair few rejections. PwC I didn't pass the test (lol) but it didn't bother me too much. I also have fresh rejections from Bank of America, BlackRock, J.P. Morgan, Lloyds Banking Group, and the remaining Stantec roles. Clearly me and the banks don't align :dontknow:

I think something I've learned over the last couple of weeks is that this process is like a weird rollercoaster - and when it rains it pours. I'll get multiple rejections in one day, and then multiple positive things in the following day. I had rejections either side of the assessment centres... hopefully it means something good will come from them!!!

Just to add to the list:

-----
Inactive Applications
PwC Digital Audit - Got stuck on one question in the Maths test so didn't meet their requirements... oops!
Bank of America Global Financial Management Programme - no additional info given for rejection. I would imagine it is to do with the amount of applicants (or at least that's what I'll tell myself)
BlackRock Finance Graduate - Sent an email, which may have been the same for everyone, saying that they were impressed with my background but had other candidates who more closely followed their set of requirements.
J. P. Morgan Chase Corporate Analyst Development - I can't find the rejection email for this one lol
Lloyds Banking Group Business and Commercial Banking - Was no personal feedback for this but it's fair enough.
Stantec x2 - No personal feedback there either. Will take it as my Stantec journey is over :frown:

Reply 8
Original post by elou99
Any chance you have the recruitment/ early careers email of Mercer's? I experienced some technical issues with my VI and I was informed by HireVue to get in touch with them.

Hey! I couldn't find the early careers email but I think the email that sent the hirevue invite could work? If not I would try Instagram or Twitter because they attached that in the workday email to me
Reply 9
January Update!

So I have had more ACs, and I've even had job offers :biggrin:

I'm now at the point where I'm sitting on a really good offer (good location, good pay, exciting role) and so I am declining other companies. It's super exciting and I feel super lucky to be in this position. I'm being quite selective in which applications I am progressing, and any further ones I apply to. Since December, I don't think I've applied to any other schemes.

I have been put on the AC Waitlist for Mace, which is a weird one. I didn't know they had AC waitlists, so a bit funky. I'm not overly bothered though.

The other updates: I did a video interview for Deloitte and Capgemini, and the next round for Ford as well. I think the only rejection in the last month was Teneo, which I only applied for while I was stressed about hearing back from my ACs in London.

Overall, it's going well and I am super excited!

In other news, I submitted my dissertation in December. It's super nerve wracking, hearing back about results and all. I could have failed for all I know. What made it worse was I asked my supervisor for a job reference and he has just never responded lol... just going to ask the lecturer of my super small class instead. I'm scared he didn't respond because I did so bad!
Very exciting Woshelle, well done you!
How did your Mercer a/c go, did you hear back? I believe they are a great company for an internship.
Reply 11
Hey Woshelle, did you attend the Mercer AC on 10/01? I was also at that AC :smile:
Original post by woshelle
January Update!

So I have had more ACs, and I've even had job offers :biggrin:

I'm now at the point where I'm sitting on a really good offer (good location, good pay, exciting role) and so I am declining other companies. It's super exciting and I feel super lucky to be in this position. I'm being quite selective in which applications I am progressing, and any further ones I apply to. Since December, I don't think I've applied to any other schemes.

I have been put on the AC Waitlist for Mace, which is a weird one. I didn't know they had AC waitlists, so a bit funky. I'm not overly bothered though.

The other updates: I did a video interview for Deloitte and Capgemini, and the next round for Ford as well. I think the only rejection in the last month was Teneo, which I only applied for while I was stressed about hearing back from my ACs in London.

Overall, it's going well and I am super excited!

In other news, I submitted my dissertation in December. It's super nerve wracking, hearing back about results and all. I could have failed for all I know. What made it worse was I asked my supervisor for a job reference and he has just never responded lol... just going to ask the lecturer of my super small class instead. I'm scared he didn't respond because I did so bad!

What companies did you receive offers for , what grad scheme and location?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending