Turn on thread page Beta

dating! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of dating why is it that whenever I meet someone whom I really fancy they always have a boyfriend?

50% of the time their boyfriend either treats them badly, takes them for granted or looks like the back end of a bus yet they still stick with him.

ReputationRep:
    ice skating would be perfect...you get to be in actual contact with each other, and you're guaranteed a laugh when you fall over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    ice skating would be perfect...you get to be in actual contact with each other, and you're guaranteed a laugh when you fall over
    hmmm hes got a point.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhArJ)
    hmmm hes got a point.......
    indeed. good for me too because i can actually ice skate and wont have the pain in my tailbone from falling over all the time

ReputationRep:
    indeed. good for me too because i can actually ice skate and wont have the pain in my tailbone from falling over all the time
    lol last time i went ice skating she had to teach me how to skate :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M-J)
    heares a really daft question but where do you go for a first date....i haven't been on one in 3 years and the dude said it was my choice....
    too childish to go to megabowl?!?

xx help. mj
    Just a random comment:
    Dates are an american concept, created in the 20th century. Thought I'd point that out.

ReputationRep:
    Awww the sentimental technik. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Just a random comment:
    Dates are an american concept, created in the 20th century. Thought I'd point that out.

so what is the british concept? tea on the lawn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Awww the sentimental technik. :p:
    i have more sides than an icosahedron...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    A picnic? How lame is that?
    Hey, if someone's worth going out with, they'll be good company.

If you need a film to make it remotely interesting, I'd seriously consider whether I wanted a second date.

First dates are about finding out about a person, not snogging their face off in the back row.

Besides, I love picnics. Surely that'd be handy for the bloke having to pay to take me out...?

Like I said, needs to be spring or Summer though... And I'd want nice food too.

And SamTheMan: A lot of things are American creations started in the 20th Century. Doesn't make them less worthy ways of spending time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Just a random comment:

Ironically, the first recorded use of the word in English to mean a rendezvous with someone of the opposite sex is in the works of George Meredith, the English poet and novelist. The use of the word date to mean `a person of the opposite sex with whom one has made an appointment or engagement' is American. The concept of the date is easily traceable to earlier notions of courting, wooing, and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svidrigailov)
    Ironically, the first recorded use of the word in English to mean a rendezvous with someone of the opposite sex is in the works of George Meredith, the English poet and novelist. The use of the word date to mean `a person of the opposite sex with whom one has made an appointment or engagement' is American. The concept of the date is easily traceable to earlier notions of courting, wooing, and the like.
    true, dating has its roots in courtship which has been around much longer than the USA. But in response to the previous posts, 20 or 30 years ago, noone would say "I'm going on a date". It's just American films influencing people's opinion on what you should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Hey, if someone's worth going out with, they'll be good company.

If you need a film to make it remotely interesting, I'd seriously consider whether I wanted a second date.

First dates are about finding out about a person, not snogging their face off in the back row.

Besides, I love picnics. Surely that'd be handy for the bloke having to pay to take me out...?

Like I said, needs to be spring or Summer though... And I'd want nice food too.

And SamTheMan: A lot of things are American creations started in the 20th Century. Doesn't make them less worthy ways of spending time.

Picnic eh? I think I may try that one day in the future. It'll be just like Neighbours.

Failing that - boardgame evening!!! There's no way to get to know someone. Plus you can show off your intelligence with Scrabble.

ReputationRep:
    i have more sides than an icosahedron...
    The dodecahedron is a considerably cooler shape.

ReputationRep:
    Ah my first date!

I was 10 and went to see problem child at the pictures! His dad drove us there and my mum picked us up. It was so innocent-we didnt even hold hands!

Now going to get a drink and going for a walk is nice. As long as its not in the country-no escape1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Ah my first date!

I was 10 and went to see problem child at the pictures! His dad drove us there and my mum picked us up. It was so innocent-we didnt even hold hands!
    Sounds remarkably like my first date. Katharine? :eek:

Nah... actually we watched Jurassic Park. The funny thing is, I actually went out with the girl properly 6 years later. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i went to mega bowl n cinema for my first date n 1 year n 1 month later on im stil with him. i think u n ur date should come to some sort of agreement so that u both feel ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Sounds remarkably like my first date. Katharine? :eek:

Nah... actually we watched Jurassic Park. The funny thing is, I actually went out with the girl properly 6 years later. :rolleyes:
    Ah my first date was with Robert! I dont see him now as I've moved but we had a good giggle about it when i saw him 3 years ago in the pub after not seeing each other for 6 yrs!

I think going to a cafe/little coffee shop always makes a good first date

And as for the picnic thing thats what me and my boyfriend did the first time we went out...It was fun because it was a lovely sunny day in May and we went for a walk by a river afterwards..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)

oooh, what about ice-skating?

lou xxx
    thts a good idea 'cept the only ice rink in town closed... i was thinking swimming would be a good one....... :idea:

my last first date we went strawberry picking....which was mean as i turned it into rasperry picking as im alergic to strawberries.... :eek: i know.... i can never go to wimbeldon...

the one before tht we went to a firing range, then we played paintball.

however....this first date went like this: he picked me - brought lillies *BIG BROWNIE POINTS EARNED*
    we went for a hot chocolate, then we went to the pub (neither of us drink, so tht was a bit odd_ then we went to his and played xbox and i actually mean tht i whipped his ass at worms.... lol
    tht an ok first date?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.