Turn on thread page Beta

Ways in which one would improve ones vocabulary? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    And if you're really keen subscribe to the readers digest - they do a monthly test your vocab quiz thingy
    Homer, to woman from Readers Digest: "Oh, I love your magazine. My favourite section is How to increase your word power. That thing is really, really... good. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    come from good stock
    like where? *looks up intellect providers*

NTL. Wanadoo. yahoo. BT. AOL... so many...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Homer, to woman from Readers Digest: "Oh, I love your magazine. My favourite section is How to increase your word power. That thing is really, really... good. "
    Hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I do resolve to consult a dictionary, the moment I am confronted by a word entirely alien to me; most of the time, however, I deduce meaning from context. I'd attribute my large vocabulary partly to a capacious brain-pan, but also to the fact that my memory simply functions in a manner conducive to assimilating vast quantities of information. Beyond what is inherent, however, I find there to be no better technique for introducing new words into one's vocabulary than simply looking them up, and then applying them in context. Only today, I managed 'fissiparous', 'ostensible' and 'pecuniary' in casual discussion. I didn't dare risk 'concomitant', but it nonetheless exemplifies the efficacy of my approach
    ((applauds))

ReputationRep:
    Listen to radio 4. Watch 'call my bluff' not my muff- ha!

ReputationRep:
    I do resolve to consult a dictionary, the moment I am confronted by a word entirely alien to me; most of the time, however, I deduce meaning from context. I'd attribute my large vocabulary partly to a capacious brain-pan, but also to the fact that my memory simply functions in a manner conducive to assimilating vast quantities of information. Beyond what is inherent, however, I find there to be no better technique for introducing new words into one's vocabulary than simply looking them up, and then applying them in context. Only today, I managed 'fissiparous', 'ostensible' and 'pecuniary' in casual discussion. I didn't dare risk 'concomitant', but it nonetheless exemplifies the efficacy of my approach
    It only really "exemplifies the efficacy" of your approach if you use the words correctly, in context and without sounding like a jack ass.

ReputationRep:
    *cringe*

ReputationRep:
    Get a book called the superior persons book of words ( i think thats what its called...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    Hey guys...

Do any of yyou know of any books, ideas, etc...that would improve one's vocabulary? Any ideas?

Thanks

Jason
    Words
    Paul Dickson

ISBN:

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    watch university challenge and read lots and lots!

ReputationRep:
    if it hasn't been said ... word of the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Just read books/magazines/newspapers a LOT.

And if you're really keen subscribe to the readers digest - they do a monthly test your vocab quiz thingy
    I got 11/15....is that good :confused:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.