Ways in which one would improve ones vocabulary?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
And if you're really keen subscribe to the readers digest - they do a monthly test your vocab quiz thingy
Homer, to woman from Readers Digest: "Oh, I love your magazine. My favourite section is How to increase your word power. That thing is really, really... good. "
shootingstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by technik)
come from good stock
like where? *looks up intellect providers*

NTL. Wanadoo. yahoo. BT. AOL... so many...
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
Homer, to woman from Readers Digest: "Oh, I love your magazine. My favourite section is How to increase your word power. That thing is really, really... good. "
Hahahaha
Belle Noire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
I do resolve to consult a dictionary, the moment I am confronted by a word entirely alien to me; most of the time, however, I deduce meaning from context. I'd attribute my large vocabulary partly to a capacious brain-pan, but also to the fact that my memory simply functions in a manner conducive to assimilating vast quantities of information. Beyond what is inherent, however, I find there to be no better technique for introducing new words into one's vocabulary than simply looking them up, and then applying them in context. Only today, I managed 'fissiparous', 'ostensible' and 'pecuniary' in casual discussion. I didn't dare risk 'concomitant', but it nonetheless exemplifies the efficacy of my approach
((applauds))
PublicSchoolAnn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Listen to radio 4. Watch 'call my bluff' not my muff- ha!
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I do resolve to consult a dictionary, the moment I am confronted by a word entirely alien to me; most of the time, however, I deduce meaning from context. I'd attribute my large vocabulary partly to a capacious brain-pan, but also to the fact that my memory simply functions in a manner conducive to assimilating vast quantities of information. Beyond what is inherent, however, I find there to be no better technique for introducing new words into one's vocabulary than simply looking them up, and then applying them in context. Only today, I managed 'fissiparous', 'ostensible' and 'pecuniary' in casual discussion. I didn't dare risk 'concomitant', but it nonetheless exemplifies the efficacy of my approach
It only really "exemplifies the efficacy" of your approach if you use the words correctly, in context and without sounding like a jack ass.
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*cringe*
footballhead
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Get a book called the superior persons book of words ( i think thats what its called...)
Aitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
Hey guys...

Do any of yyou know of any books, ideas, etc...that would improve one's vocabulary? Any ideas?

Thanks

Jason
Words
Paul Dickson

ISBN:

Aitch
ClosetGinger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
watch university challenge and read lots and lots!
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if it hasn't been said ... word of the day
these_apples
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Just read books/magazines/newspapers a LOT.

And if you're really keen subscribe to the readers digest - they do a monthly test your vocab quiz thingy
I got 11/15....is that good :confused:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (162)
24.96%
Better than expected (132)
20.34%
Worse than expected (355)
54.7%

Watched Threads