The Student Room Group

Advice

Hello all,
For context, I am currently a year 12 student 3 months into a levels. I am studying; economics, business and geography.

I really want to study economics or accounting and finance at university. However as I’m not doing maths a level, I can’t go to a top 6 so called ‘target uni’. But I did research, and I could go to other prestigious unis such as; St Andrews, Leeds, Nottingham and Birmingham for Econ and even Durham for Accounting and finance if I get an offer. I am VERY worried that I’m not going to get a good job or even an interview for an IB role as I don’t take maths and can’t go to top 6 uni. This is giving me a severe lack of motivation to study. So please could I have some advice. Such as: will I be alright? Do students from these unis get IB roles? And will I be significantly disadvantaged because I didn’t take?

I appreciate any responses as like I said, it’s draining my motivation to study knowing I can’t go to a top 6 uni for my chosen degree as I don’t do maths.

Further Note: I cannot change to maths a level as I would be 3 months behind and the school won’t let me.
if you're worried, consider taking economics as part of a joint course, like economics & politics for example should this interest you. these are less maths heavy and might be easier to get into. foundation year courses for economics may help you cover what you missed by not doing maths. unfortunately, econ is very competitive at top level universities and some won't even accept students who didn't take further maths despite taking maths.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by evoletric
Hello all,
For context, I am currently a year 12 student 3 months into a levels. I am studying; economics, business and geography.

I really want to study economics or accounting and finance at university. However as I’m not doing maths a level, I can’t go to a top 6 so called ‘target uni’. But I did research, and I could go to other prestigious unis such as; St Andrews, Leeds, Nottingham and Birmingham for Econ and even Durham for Accounting and finance if I get an offer. I am VERY worried that I’m not going to get a good job or even an interview for an IB role as I don’t take maths and can’t go to top 6 uni. This is giving me a severe lack of motivation to study. So please could I have some advice. Such as: will I be alright? Do students from these unis get IB roles? And will I be significantly disadvantaged because I didn’t take?

I appreciate any responses as like I said, it’s draining my motivation to study knowing I can’t go to a top 6 uni for my chosen degree as I don’t do maths.

Further Note: I cannot change to maths a level as I would be 3 months behind and the school won’t let me.

Wow... I'm going through the same thing. I spend more time researching about which unis will accept me for economics or other business degrees without maths than actually studying. But, I'm trying to focus more on studies. What hurts is that I can't tell my mum that I regret not taking maths because she will say, "I told you so!". And I wanted to get into Oxford.

All I can say is focus on your studies. If your grades are really good, then the 7th top uni will accept you. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by NazifaNawer
Wow... I'm going through the same thing. I spend more time researching about which unis will accept me for economics or other business degrees without maths than actually studying. But, I'm trying to focus more on studies. What hurts is that I can't tell my mum that I regret not taking maths because she will say, "I told you so!". And I wanted to get into Oxford.

All I can say is focus on your studies. If your grades are really good, then the 7th top uni will accept you. Good luck!

WOW that’s brilliant! What uni is this??
Reply 4
Original post by srisinator
if you're worried, consider taking economics as part of a joint course, like economics & politics for example should this interest you. these are less maths heavy and might be easier to get into. foundation year courses for economics may help you cover what you missed by not doing maths. unfortunately, econ is very competitive at top level universities and some won't even accept students who didn't take further maths despite taking maths.

Thank you for the reply,
The joint courses is a brilliant suggestion but doesn’t seem my thing. My mind is set on straight econ or banking. I considered econ and finance however this unsurprisingly required a level maths 😂. I’m going to get in contact with a few students studying econ without maths and see what it’s like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending