The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Chemical Engineering Student – Ask Me Anything!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Orla, and I’m a 3rd year home student studying Chemical and Biological Engineering.

Since joining Sheffield I've been the sports secretary for ChemEngsoc, an ambassador for my course and a volunteer for Engineers Without Borders.

I also have a lot of knowledge about study abroad options as I'm currently studying in Denmark for my 3rd year!

I enjoy football, gaming and going out with my friends

I lived in Endcliffe Vale flats in my 1st year and then moved into a student house with my mates for my 2nd year.

If you have any questions about my course, roles, accommodation or Sheffield in general, then please feel free to ask!

I'll be online every Monday but if your question is urgent or you would like an answer sooner, you can find lots of students (including myself) available to chat via The Access Platform (TAP) at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat

Thank you!

Orla.
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi Everyone!

My name is Orla, and I’m a 3rd year home student studying Chemical and Biological Engineering.

Since joining Sheffield I've been the sports secretary for ChemEngsoc, an ambassador for my course and a volunteer for Engineers Without Borders.

I also have a lot of knowledge about study abroad options as I'm currently studying in Denmark for my 3rd year!

I enjoy football, gaming and going out with my friends

I lived in Endcliffe Vale flats in my 1st year and then moved into a student house with my mates for my 2nd year.

If you have any questions about my course, roles, accommodation or Sheffield in general, then please feel free to ask!

I'll be online every Monday but if your question is urgent or you would like an answer sooner, you can find lots of students (including myself) available to chat via The Access Platform (TAP) at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat

Thank you!

Orla.

Hi! :smile: I'm applying to Sheffield this year for biomed. I've heard that the department there is great! :biggrin: I wanted to know about the practicalities of the place- what the accom is like there, and how's transport? Is accom far from the campus where biomed is? And any good restaurants that serve veg food? (Egg is fine. Just no meat or fish.)

Thanks! :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Hi! :smile: I'm applying to Sheffield this year for biomed. I've heard that the department there is great! :biggrin: I wanted to know about the practicalities of the place- what the accom is like there, and how's transport? Is accom far from the campus where biomed is? And any good restaurants that serve veg food? (Egg is fine. Just no meat or fish.)

Thanks! :smile:

Hey, great to hear that you are applying for the biomed course!

The Biosciences department at the university (which includes biomed) is really good, the course is also the only biomed course in the UK to offer cadaveric dissection for anatomy teaching. Having studied anatomy I can say it is definitely the best way to learn!

The biosciences buildings are very central on campus and are about a 20 minute walk from Endcliffe/Ranmoor accommodation and about a 15 minute walk from city accommodation. There is also a bus that goes from the accommodation to the university and then continues into town. The buses in sheffield are very regular and only £1.20 for students wherever you go. There are trams to take you out to further parts of the city and to Meadowhall (the big shopping centre).

There are lots of Vegetarian and Vegan food places in Sheffield, and most restaurants have veggie options - would recommend Pocha on Division Street, Nam Song in Broomhill and Cutlery Works on Kelham Island.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the biomed course!

Evie
(5th year med student, MSc in Human Anatomy and Education)

Quick Reply

Latest