The Student Room Group

should i go university?

i dont know what to do, everyone i have spoken to seems like they've all got it figured out and they're all off to university. i feel like the only outcast and i dont know what i want. im taking english lang, computer science and business btec. i feel so lost and confused. nothing really interests me and the only course i see myself doing is probably computer science or software engineering.
I was in a sort of similar position when I was in yr13. I knew I wanted to go university, but didn't know what course I wanted to do.
You really don't need it figured out at 17/18. I am currently in my final year at uni and constantly changing what I want to do after I graduate.

If you are not sure about your future career, I'd actually recommend going to uni as it would give you the choice later on. Especially with a Computer Science or Electrical Engineering degree, you will have sooo many doors open for you and you can see what interests you by the different modules you take.

Alternatively, there are degree apprenticeships where you can go straight into a job and get a degree out of it. But you will be working straight away. Hence why uni might work better in your favour if you are still figuring stuff out.

Please know there are many people who apply to uni courses unsure with what they want to do as a career. (Me being included!)
'Going to Uni' isnt compulsory - and you dont have to do it this year.

Many people find a gap year useful for working out what they do want to do.
Get a job - any job - earn some cash and then do some travel etc.

Look at alternatives to Uni - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Many people go to Uni 'later' - so you could do an apprenticeships pr a a loger term job, and go to Uni in a year or so,
Useful careers website with hundreds of job / career descriptions - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles
Original post by bobuel
i dont know what to do, everyone i have spoken to seems like they've all got it figured out and they're all off to university. i feel like the only outcast and i dont know what i want. im taking english lang, computer science and business btec. i feel so lost and confused. nothing really interests me and the only course i see myself doing is probably computer science or software engineering.

Heya!
Don't worry if you don't know what you will do next - you are not alone. A lot of my friends took a gap year after finishing school to figure out what they want to do next, whether it was going to uni or doing something else like an apprenticeship. During the gap year, they would do some work instead to earn some extra money and go on holidays :h: Prospects will be helpful regarding what you could do in the future. Perhaps consider something like an apprenticeship as well! There is no rush to choose what you want to do so soon, take your time and explore your options.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest