The Student Room Group

I don't like the jobs my degree leads to and want to change degree please help

So im currently doing biochemistry at bath uni and I feel very conflicted rn. I have friends, I'm enjoying bath and although I find the course boring and struggle to stay motivated I don't hate it. But I just don't think science is what I want to do in the future, and recently I have been more and more thinking that I want to go into the creative industry (especially graphic design/illustration). And I don't really think a biochemistry degree would get me those sorts of jobs. So I am thinking of applying for illustration or graphic design to start in 2023. But I haven't told my friends doing biochemistry this and I feel really bad and like I'm lying to them but idk I just don't know how to tell them. I'm tempted to just stay on the course but then I honestly don't know what I would do after that and I don't want to waste a lot of money on a degree I won't use. Can anyone give advice?
Hello,

I would say confide in your friends. Maybe speak to your lecturers and see what they say/ advise .That may be a good first step

I hope you manage to get sorted :smile:

Rebecca
Get in touch with the course leader of the graphics course at Bath. Ask to come in and look around, have a look at the work students do - and/or attend an Open Day.
Reply 3
Original post by insidedesigner
Get in touch with the course leader of the graphics course at Bath. Ask to come in and look around, have a look at the work students do - and/or attend an Open Day.

Bath doesn’t do any art related courses :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hello,

I would say confide in your friends. Maybe speak to your lecturers and see what they say/ advise .That may be a good first step

I hope you manage to get sorted :smile:

Rebecca

Yeah i think i will talk to my friends. But i don’t think i’ll talk to the uni because my personal tutor is very unhelpful ngl
Original post by sunny225
Yeah i think i will talk to my friends. But i don’t think i’ll talk to the uni because my personal tutor is very unhelpful ngl

See if the careers team will help you. They’re independent of the course teams and will just want to help
Original post by sunny225
Bath doesn’t do any art related courses :frown:

Not Bath Uni but there is in the city https://www.bathspa.ac.uk/courses/ug-graphic-design/
if you are not happy in your course, there is no point carrying on one of my uni friends dropped out eventually because she hated it. see what the careers staff can do and they may be able to transfer you for the next academic year:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ch3shirecat4
if you are not happy in your course, there is no point carrying on one of my uni friends dropped out eventually because she hated it. see what the careers staff can do and they may be able to transfer you for the next academic year:smile:

No because id be going to a completely different uni so I need to apply via ucas surely? Especially since I want to do something art related so I would need to submit a portfolio. And I don't want to drop out - I know its more fees and its overall more expensive but idk I just would really really struggle and also I want to wait at least until I get uni offers.
Hi,

I swapped courses at university after my first year and it was a brilliant choice for me, and I know multiple people who have done the same. If you are unhappy currently, there may be little point in battling through if it will affect your mental health.

Speak to your university, your friends, family and see what advice people have. It is completely okay to have a change of heart about your degree and amazing that you have recognized this!

Ellie, University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest