The Student Room Group

Cure for snobbishness

I met some old public school male friends at the village market today and during the conversation i felt I had become really snobbish compared to them, using snobbish terms from economics/literature/science etc that normal people find odd or know nothing about. Also our taste when it comes to habits are divergent, eg tea vs beer, books vs computer games, urban vs countryside preference, classic music vs ghetto music, movies that require analytic abilities to understand vs simple action movies. How to cure and become more populist but not rah?

A step by step guide would be appreciated:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no cure for it, you're a snob
Reply 2
Why would you want to do that to yourself and become like those commoners? Keep your nose up to the sky where it belongs! :yes:
GavinMcG91
Why would you want to do that to yourself and become like those commoners? Keep your nose up to the sky where it belongs! :yes:

Coz I believe in a more equal society, and because the average voter/friend look down on snobs/rich/smart people:rolleyes:
Reply 4
You have far more problems than a bit of snobbishness, Pevensie. Start revising that bizarre life-plan of yours first.
Reply 5
weren't you that girl who thinks shes left wing?

edit: i'd just like to say that in a weird way i think you're awesome. totally clueless and out of sync, but awesome nonetheless
Reply 6
first step is generally investing in a 'grip'
FyreFight
You have far more problems than a bit of snobbishness, Pevensie. Start revising that bizarre life-plan of yours first.

Is my list evil / take advantage of other people in any way?

willenium
first step is generally investing in a 'grip'

Whats a grip
Reply 8
Lucy Pevensie
Is my list evil / take advantage of other people in any way?

No, it's just that by the age of 16 most people have progressed beyond the "I want to be a spaceman!" stage.
FyreFight
No, it's just that by the age of 16 most people have progressed beyond the "I want to be a spaceman!" stage.

..except those who go on to become spaceWOMEN one bright day:wink:
**** a hobo.
Lucy Pevensie
Whats a grip

please direct enquires about semantics to wikipedia
Reply 12
FyreFight

Pahaha, made my night
Lucy Pevensie
I met some old public school male friends at the village market today and during the conversation i felt I had become really snobbish compared to them, using snobbish terms from economics/literature/science etc that normal people find odd or know nothing about. Also our taste when it comes to habits are divergent, eg tea vs beer, books vs computer games, urban vs countryside preference, classic music vs ghetto music, movies that require analytic abilities to understand vs simple action movies. How to cure and become more populist but not rah?

A step by step guide would be appreciated:biggrin:

I don't see how your "old public school male friends" would be into "ghetto music" but assuming that you are being serious, which I still greatly doubt, you have pretty much covered everything already:
- don't use terms that people are unlikely to understand
- get used to the taste of beer
- play some computer games (the Wii is a good start)
- appreciate urban or rural living
- listen to some non-classical music
- watch some movies where you can just turn your mind off
- watch some popular TV shows

Although having said that, I wouldn't personally change my habits just to be more in line with old friends. :no:

PS: By the way, I've noticed that you've made at least of a couple of corrections to your profile to make it slightly less implausible. :wink:
A dick-slap.
Reply 15
Mastermind`
A dick-slap.

whats one of these 'dick-slaps'?

gotta get me one of these
Lucy Pevensie
Coz I believe in a more equal society, and because the average voter/friend look down on snobs/rich/smart people:rolleyes:

:biggrin: That says it all.

In answer to your question: come and spend a week in Salford.
alex_hk90
I don't see how your "old public school male friends" would be into "ghetto music" but assuming that you are being serious, which I still greatly doubt, you have pretty much covered everything already:
- don't use terms that people are unlikely to understand
- get used to the taste of beer
- play some computer games (the Wii is a good start)
- appreciate urban or rural living
- listen to some non-classical music
- watch some movies where you can just turn your mind off
- watch some popular TV shows

Although having said that, I wouldn't personally change my habits just to be more in line with old friends. :no:

PS: By the way, I've noticed that you've made at least of a couple of corrections to your profile to make it slightly less implausible. :wink:

Hey im always serious, I just try to express things in unorthodox ways:yep:

Thanks for the tips though, they are much appreciated:smile:

I didnt knew you were monitoring my profile so closely. Hows it implausible now? The sweetheart stout?:p:

jismith1989
:biggrin: That says it all.

In answer to your question: come and spend a week in Salford.

Where in our empire is salford?

Edit: oh! manchester. nah, too dangerous:p:
i just tried to write some serious advice but this is such a stupid question that i physically couldn't

e: although if you want, you could hire me to fill an alastair campbell role for your various electoral campaigns
Reply 19
Lucy Pevensie

it's views and stuff like this that is a large factor. drop it.

haha, this thread is just a bit too weird.

Latest

Trending

Trending