The Student Room Group

Bleeding after sex mirena coil

Why am I bleeding after sex with mirena coil? I had the coil fitted 3 weeks ago, and had sex 3 times since then, but each time I’ve had a small amount of fresh red blood very soon after. I had quite a bit of blood when it was inserted so I wondered if it is possible that my cervix opening could still not have healed and sex is irritating it? I read that blood after sex could mean that the coil is displaced, but I am experiencing no pain or cramping, just blood after sex. Any ideas? Thanks!

*I am currently trying to visit the GP but can’t get an appointment 🥲🥲🥲🥲*
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Charlotte3634
Why am I bleeding after sex with mirena coil? I had the coil fitted 3 weeks ago, and had sex 3 times since then, but each time I’ve had a small amount of fresh red blood very soon after. I had quite a bit of blood when it was inserted so I wondered if it is possible that my cervix opening could still not have healed and sex is irritating it? I read that blood after sex could mean that the coil is displaced, but I am experiencing no pain or cramping, just blood after sex. Any ideas? Thanks!

I would recommend that you don't have any type of sex before you visit the GP as your condition could get worse.
In the meantime, try to keep that area clean.

H Charlotte X

An IUD can sometimes become displaced. If this happens, and the IUD moves partially out of the cervix or into the vagina, a person could experience some bleeding after sex. Displacement also usually causes cramping and discomfort. Pain and bleeding after sex are not typical side effects of an IUD .

This is probably why you are experiencing some bleeding which is fine so don't worry about having sex okay as you can continue with it, but it's best to get a appointment with either your GP or your practice midwife who maybe able to assist you okay. If possible go into the GP practice and most times you may be able to get a appointment but might have to wait for a few days or so for one but explain the situation and see if you can get one sooner or perhaps the nurse.

I would suggest that you use protection when you are having sex until you see what the GP says about things as if it moved you are slight risk of getting pregnant...!!

A NHS registered midwife.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Tracey_W
H Charlotte X

An IUD can sometimes become displaced. If this happens, and the IUD moves partially out of the cervix or into the vagina, a person could experience some bleeding after sex. Displacement also usually causes cramping and discomfort. Pain and bleeding after sex are not typical side effects of an IUD .

This is probably why you are experiencing some bleeding which is fine so don't worry about having sex okay as you can continue with it, but it's best to get a appointment with either your GP or your practice midwife who maybe able to assist you okay. If possible go into the GP practice and most times you may be able to get a appointment but might have to wait for a few days or so for one but explain the situation and see if you can get one sooner or perhaps the nurse.

A NHS registered midwife.

Well done in clearly stating the above.
Original post by Dale D'cruz
Well done in clearly stating the above.

No worries 😊😊😊
If you read the patient information leaflet - all this is very common. Can you feel the strings to be sure the device is in place?

For all uses of Mirena:

You may have lighter periods or painful periods or some spotting (light bleeding
in between periods) and irregular bleeding during the first few months after
Mirena is fitted.
You may have prolonged or heavy bleeding or an increase in the frequency of bleeding,
usually in the first 2 to 3 months, before a reduction in blood loss is achieved.
Overall you are likely to have fewer days bleeding in each month and you might
eventually have no periods at all. This is due to the effect of the hormone (levonorgestrel)
on the lining of the womb

Very Common (more than 1 in 10 women)

vaginal bleeding including spotting

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.1132.pdf
Hi everyone, thank you all for your answers. I managed to get seen by a GP this morning so I can update!

I have what is called a cervical ectropion, where basically the cells that are find inside the cervix begin to grown outside the opening of the cervix. It causes bleeding after sex, but apparently is not harmful. It is something that will hopefully go away on its own…
Hi everyone, thank you all for your answers. I managed to get seen by a GP this morning so I can update!

I have what is called a cervical ectropion, where basically the cells that are find inside the cervix begin to grown outside the opening of the cervix. It causes bleeding after sex, but apparently is not harmful. It is something that will hopefully go away on its own…

That's good to know. Congrats.

At least now you know what the problem was and you just need to keep eye on things but otherwise everything should be absolutely fine for you 🙂🙂🙂 don't be afraid of having to see your GP about anything wrong ☺️☺️

Quick Reply

Latest