The Student Room Group

Ultimate Business Studies AQA unit 4 thread

a little back ground story

wow i never noticed mine and RJA's (mainly RJAs) business thread got stickied!

well since i'd dropped A2 business i couldn't help people as much as with the AS - However i'm back in teh business scene :cool: and i, just like many of you out there will be sitting unit 4 in january! so i've decided to start up a revision thread since units 2 and 3 already have one. in this thread i'll be handing out my notes (once they have been completed) and answering any questions people may have. feel free to post up answers to questions and i'll be happy to mark them for you, tell you how to improve your technique etc. this worked really well last time and im sure it will this time to!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
heres a preview of the report im writing

Marketing
Candidates are expected to gain an understanding of marketing in an integrated context within the organisation and the wider environment, drawing from the whole of the AS Subject Content. The material set out below should build on key concepts from the Marketing section of AS Module 1 such as objectives, strategy and the need for data upon which to base decisions. Candidates should analyse and evaluate the potential of different marketing strategies, tactics and techniques for enabling businesses to identify and adapt to changing market opportunities and achieve their objectives.

Market analysis
Market analysis occurs when a firm undertakes a detailed examination of the characteristics of a market. Only when a firm understands the market can they affectively create appropriate marketing plans. A market analysis will often include:

Market size
The size of the market can be measured in two ways, either by the volume of sales or by the value of sales. One must consider if the market is large enough for sufficient profit to be made. Ansoff matrix, mass markets and niche markets.

Market growth
Is the market growing, saturated or declining? A firm will be reluctant to enter a declining market, as it will have the least opportunities for profit. You must consider what size the market will be in the future, are you looking for short term or long-term investment? Long-term investors require a market to either remain large or grow. Ansoff matrix

Market segments
Are there clearly identifiable groups of needs and wants within the overall market? If so is it work targeting a specific segment? Niche markets
Markets can be segmented in the following ways:
Geographic: where people live, regional/national needs.
Demographic: age groups or genders will differ in needs.
Psychographic: shoppers who buy for the same reseasons
Behavioural: such as light users vs. heavy users.

(the italic words are related topics, e.g. you can link market segments to niche marketing)
Reply 2
saving post space
Reply 3
saving post space
Reply 4
saving post space
hey great idea for teh thread just wondering you couldnt help me on epople and operation mangement as our teacher been off sick for a month had to self teach myself accounting and finance but i hav no idea where to start from people and operation management as i have no notes. so would apprecaite if you could put some notes on these topics thankx
Reply 6
miz_perfecto
hey great idea for teh thread just wondering you couldnt help me on epople and operation mangement as our teacher been off sick for a month had to self teach myself accounting and finance but i hav no idea where to start from people and operation management as i have no notes. so would apprecaite if you could put some notes on these topics thankx

no problem i'll start it tonight - check in a few hours and i should have it done, though my teachers haven't started it yet either so the notes may be a bit sketchy :yep:
Chaoslord
no problem i'll start it tonight - check in a few hours and i should have it done, though my teachers haven't started it yet either so the notes may be a bit sketchy :yep:

ok thankz at least i'll have something
Reply 8
miz_perfecto

um, just checked - its not on the unit 4 syllabus is there a reason to study it?
Chaoslord
um, just checked - its not on the unit 4 syllabus is there a reason to study it?

I think she was probably talking about Unit 2 "People and Operations Management" ... the campus case study?

And the simple answer to that is: I've already made those notes on the other thread. :p:
Reply 10
IanDangerously
I think she was probably talking about Unit 2 "People and Operations Management" ... the campus case study?

And the simple answer to that is: I've already made those notes on the other thread. :p:

yea check the unit 2/3 thread, mr dangerously has prepares comprehensive notes already

- please keep questions to unit 4 in this thread. many thanks
Chaoslord
yea check the unit 2/3 thread, mr dangerously has prepares comprehensive notes already

- please keep questions to unit 4 in this thread. many thanks

i just checked and your right its not on the unit 4 syllabus i was under the thought we are doing the poeple and operation management i am gonna have to find out whats going on because he told us we were gonna study this this term so i'll have to find out tomroow but thanks anyway sorrri for the confusion
Reply 12
miz_perfecto
i just checked and your right its not on the unit 4 syllabus i was under the thought we are doing the poeple and operation management i am gonna have to find out whats going on because he told us we were gonna study this this term so i'll have to find out tomroow but thanks anyway sorrri for the confusion

its in unit 5, some depending on when you're doing the exams may chose to teach it this term
Reply 13
i'm dreading ratios for unit 4 so many to learn ahhhhhhhh!....just have to keep practising i guess :frown:
Reply 14
artcrazy
i'm dreading ratios for unit 4 so many to learn ahhhhhhhh!....just have to keep practising i guess :frown:

my method is to learn them

put them on revision cards and flick through them each day

after day 3 you should be able to run them off from the top of you head =P

always carry them - that way when your waiting for a buss, give them a quick look over or when your on the train =D
Reply 15
cool gr8 idea tnx :smile:

i tend to keep rewriting key definitions until they take up no more than 2 lines (or less) so that they stick in my head and just put them on post-its which cover most of my room wall!!!
Reply 16
artcrazy
cool gr8 idea tnx :smile:

i tend to keep rewriting key definitions until they take up no more than 2 lines (or less) so that they stick in my head and just put them on post-its which cover most of my room wall!!!

thats a fantastic idea xD

i think i might use post it to help remember things as well =P
Reply 17
People and Operations is examined in Unit 4, as well as Marketing and Finance, questions worth a total of 20 marks for each topic. Look at some past papers to see how it works, they are on the AQA website. :smile:
Chaoslord
my method is to learn them

put them on revision cards and flick through them each day

after day 3 you should be able to run them off from the top of you head =P

always carry them - that way when your waiting for a buss, give them a quick look over or when your on the train =D

I've put up my notes for Financial Accounting , which covers a lot of the ratios and financial stuff from unit 4.... I'm sure they'll be of use to someone. Theres enough space to cut around the relevant ones and stick them onto cards, etc.
Financial Accounting - Ratios and Formulas Notes: click here

For depreciation use:

d=C(1CRn) d = C( 1 - \frac{C - R}{n})

as opposed to

d=100C(1nRC) d = 100C(1- n\sqrt\frac{R}{C})

Latest

Trending

Trending