The Student Room Group

relics of the preinternet days

I tidied up my box room this morning, and underneath all the random junk i found a box of old computer cds (amounght other random crap - like a huge ****** black and white printer that cost us like £400 at the time)

Well anywho two of the things i found were
1. A range of microsoft encarta disks - back in the day - everybody had encarta - but now they are completely obsolete - we have no use for it now due to wiki. The amount we used to pay for encarta - and we know have wiki to use free of charge - amazing isnt it.

2. Microsoft autoroute express - what the **** like - another completely obsolete program due to googlemaps etc etc.

Isnt it amazing how things like this change in 5-10 years.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can remember in the early days of secondary school trying to convince my parents to buy me encarta and my dad just saying "pointless, use the internet!" ..i thought he was mad.
Reply 2
i still play Civilisation II.......
Fandellos
i still play Civilisation II.......

I still play civilisation :p:
Reply 4
arisk01
I still play civilisation :p:

sweet...the world needs to know of the genius that is sid meier....
Reply 5
I still have Encarta from when it used to fit on 2 CDs... :yep:
Reply 6
Yeah, we've still got some floppy discs somewhere I think. 1.44 mb of data on each one :p:
CD? Pah! I remember playing Digger off a 5.25" floppy.

And I remember getting Prince of Persia 2 on four 3.5" floppies... wow that was massive!
Reply 8
Skinnylinny
I still have Encarta from when it used to fit on 2 CDs... :yep:

I remember when it used to fit on one CD (Encarta 97 I think) and you had to download updates that were ~250 kB that took absolutely ages on a 28.8k modem. :p:

Also, I still have games on 5.25" floppy disks, but obviously no drive to use them. :frown:
I got my Encarta '95 CD lying around somewhere... it was like GOD when it came to school homework projects. I loved playing those games by Sierra such as Caeser (I,II,III - i got them all) and Zues: Mountain of Olympus. AoE was great too.
I consider these so-called 'preinternet' days to be non-canon.
Reply 11
imtired
real life?

The good old days.
purplefrog
I got my Encarta '95 CD lying around somewhere... it was like GOD when it came to school homework projects. I loved playing those games by Sierra such as Caeser (I,II,III - i got them all) and Zues: Mountain of Olympus. AoE was great too.

King's Quest V/VI/VII were also great Sierra games. They don't make games like that any more. :frown:
alex_hk90
King's Quest V/VI/VII were also great Sierra games. They don't make games like that any more. :frown:

Ahhh... Kings Quest was AWESOME. I seem to remember a part where there was a beautiful maiden in a bed, but it turned out she was a witch and bit you on your neck! Game over! This may be my really skewed memory from about 15 years back.

Paperboy and Commander Keen on floppy too. Oh yeah.
i had games for DOS on windows 3.1 when i was like 1/2/3. I must have been like the youngest person about with a computer in their room at the time lol. (only place it would fit in the house).

I just cant believe how things change in 10-15 years. People are talking about CDs - do you think in 10-15 years time cds will be a past relic - all my programs i have on my computer i download, most music i download, people can even download mucis on their phone these days, dvds - people can wathc films on sky anytime/bt vision or whatever it is - i reckon in 10 years time - cds will be no more
I've still got Encarta '98 or something on my old computer... I liked playing that game on it where you had to get around the castle, answering questions :yep:
Tam_Diman
I've still got Encarta '98 or something on my old computer... I liked playing that game on it where you had to get around the castle, answering questions :yep:

id completely forgot about that. That was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(well i thought it was anyway)
hollywood_swinging
Ahhh... Kings Quest was AWESOME. I seem to remember a part where there was a beautiful maiden in a bed, but it turned out she was a witch and bit you on your neck! Game over! This may be my really skewed memory from about 15 years back.

The parts I remember are dying in the desert when searching for water, and walking off the edge of a cliff. :p:

Tam_Diman

I was always rubbish at that. :o:
hollywood_swinging

Yeah, I'm running commander keen in a DOS emulator on my macbook, whoo!
I found a website the other day with an 8MB download and people complaining they would have to leave it downloading for ages and wouldn't be able to use their computer while it did...not quite pre-internet but certainly pre-broadband. I don't think twice about downloading several GB now
hollywood_swinging

Keen! That was an amazing game!

I loved Civilization too.

Latest

Trending

Trending