The Student Room Group

Oxford GCSE grades for engineering

I am hoping to apply to oxfords engineering sciences next year. My GCSEs are 9999888776 and predicted a levels are 3(A*s). I have done a lot of super curricular activities and I am apart of the access project. (Also from a poor and educationally deprived area). Is this potentially enough, if I have a good pat score, to get in or due to my lower GCSEs should I apply to Cambridge instead?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Vulcan0607
I am hoping to apply to oxfords engineering sciences next year. My GCSEs are 9999888776 and predicted a levels are 3(A*s). I have done a lot of super curricular activities and I am apart of the access project. (Also from a poor and educationally deprived area). Is this potentially enough, if I have a good pat score, to get in or due to my lower GCSEs should I apply to Cambridge instead?

I'd suggest applying to a university offering a year in industry if you want to work as an Engineer.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
I'd suggest applying to a university offering a year in industry if you want to work as an Engineer.

It’s a different type of engineering offered. I want to do the engineering sciences instead of industrial type engineering.
It’s a different type of engineering offered. I want to do the engineering sciences instead of industrial type engineering.

A placement is still more valuable than studying a degree without one.
Reply 4
A placement is still more valuable than studying a degree without one

A placement in an engineering firm is useful if you want more of an 80% application and 20% problem solving. However uni engineering offers a more even split allowing you to problem solve more complex ideas, giving the student more skills applicable to other jobs within the aspect of engineering
A placement in an engineering firm is useful if you want more of an 80% application and 20% problem solving. However uni engineering offers a more even split allowing you to problem solve more complex ideas, giving the student more skills applicable to other jobs within the aspect of engineering

A placement can be in any company - it's work experience. This is vital these days to get your first job.
Reply 6
A placement can be in any company - it's work experience. This is vital these days to get your first job.

Completely agree with that however I have had two years work experience with an American engineering firm (thanks to my neighbour lol) and I’ve decided I’m looking for something now past the field type work

what a levels do u take?
maths physics and further maths wld be an ideal combo but dw if your school doesnt offer fm
Completely agree with that however I have had two years work experience with an American engineering firm (thanks to my neighbour lol) and I’ve decided I’m looking for something now past the field type work

Yes but its far better if its part of your degree [it will be paid too].

Hey!
Congrats on your great results!! I think you have a good chance if you apply to either Oxford or Cambridge :h: What a-levels did you take? It would be safer to apply to Cambridge just in case as Oxford is known to look at GCSEs, however it is up to you. Make sure to get a good score on the admissions test and do well in the interview as well!

Oxbridge Mind
Original post by molak20
what a levels do u take?
maths physics and further maths wld be an ideal combo but dw if your school doesnt offer fm

I’ve taken maths physics and chemistry along with an epq in year 13
Original post by OxbridgeMind
Hey!
Congrats on your great results!! I think you have a good chance if you apply to either Oxford or Cambridge :h: What a-levels did you take? It would be safer to apply to Cambridge just in case as Oxford is known to look at GCSEs, however it is up to you. Make sure to get a good score on the admissions test and do well in the interview as well!

Oxbridge Mind

Thank you! My a levels are maths physics and chemistry along with an epq aswell. I’m on the Cambridge summer school and planning to also apply to uniq too just to prolong the decision 😂😂
Thank you! My a levels are maths physics and chemistry along with an epq aswell. I’m on the Cambridge summer school and planning to also apply to uniq too just to prolong the decision 😂😂

oh thats good those r a great combo tbh
(edited 1 year ago)

Hey!
Sounds great! Good luck with your application - I'm sure you'll receive the offer :h:

Oxbridge Mind
Original post by OxbridgeMind
Hey!
Sounds great! Good luck with your application - I'm sure you'll receive the offer :h:

Oxbridge Mind

Don't be so ridiculous - you can't say that you'll be 'sure' that anyone will receive an offer from Oxford. Or do you sell that, too?

Quick Reply

Latest