The Student Room Group

Placement year

Hello I was wondering if I choose to apply for a 4 year course am I able to opt out and just carry out a 3 year course? If so when would I need to decide by
Original post by Stan_f18
Hello I was wondering if I choose to apply for a 4 year course am I able to opt out and just carry out a 3 year course? If so when would I need to decide by

Hello there! @Stan_f18

Hope you are doing well. Typically, you should be able to opt out of placement if you choose not to do one. You might have to speak with your placement team based in your university. Furthermore, even if you choose a placement year and were unsuccessful to secure a placement, you will be able to continue with your 3rd year and finish your degree.

I will definitely suggest you to get in touch with student services/placement team in your university so that they can provide further clarification. They are there to support you throughout the process of applying and securing a placement, so it is worth a try and if you do not secure it, you can always continue your course.

Hope this helps :smile:

Best,
Swarda, De Montfort University Rep
Yes, most unis will let you opt out sometime in the 2nd year. However you need to check the regs at the specific uni you are enrolling at.
Original post by Stan_f18

Hi there :smile:

I applied for Psychology with a placement year but decided to switch to the 3 year course during my second year. In most cases there is no real deadline because some people are unable to find a placement anyway so end up having to do the 3 year course or look for a placement again in the following year. For this reason there isn't a strict deadline for when you have to decide. That being said, I personally would say that you should try and make your decision by the end of first term in second year just so that you have enough time to find a placement if you decide to go ahead with it. If you decide to not do a placement year then email the head of placements at your uni and they should guide you on what to do next. As long as you remember to enrol for third year in September then you should be able to carry on as normal into your final year.
Also if you're stuck on whether to apply for a 3 or 4 year course then my advice would always be 4. I did this because it gave me more options and I knew that if i didn't want to do it after that I could switch back. It is a lot harder to start a 3 year course and move to a 4 year one as you will be expected to get certain grades in your first and second year to be able to switch onto a placement year.
Hope this helps a bit!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending