The Student Room Group

Economics at university grades

hi all;

I have been predicted following grade at a level

Maths A

Economics A*

Biology A*

please could you advise chances if getting into economics at Lse ucl warwick kings imperial kings with these grades and no further maths.

I understand top uni needs A* in maths

please advise my chances of getting offers or should apply accountjng and finance which gas only a in maths requirement?
Original post by Intecon
hi all;

Maths A

Economics A*

Biology A*

please could you advise chances if getting into economics at Lse ucl warwick kings imperial kings with these grades and no further maths.

please advise my chances of getting offers or should apply accountjng and finance which gas only a in maths requirement?

LSE, UCL and Warwick - virtually zero because they require A* in maths and are heavily oversubscribed.

Imperial - zero because they don't offer straight economics.

King's - possible.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
LSE, UCL and Warwick - virtually zero because they require A* in maths and are heavily oversubscribed.

Imperial - zero because they don't offer straight economics.

King's - possible.

Really? How depressing your post is! Don’t make assumptions. My sister got into LSE with very similar predicted grades and she actually did end up getting all A* better than her predictions. LSE knows some schools over predict grades so as a current student at LSE,my sister says having spoken to staff,they give more weighting to other parts of your application so predicted grades isn’t a deal breaker & it is so rude to put down others inspiration. The person who strongly put down probably has got some excellent offers!
Reply 3
Don’t take to heart any of the negative comments in replying to your enquiry about applying to LSE. I am sure you will get the University offers you are looking for. Your predicted grades are excellent.
Original post by Intecon
hi all;

Maths A

Economics A*

Biology A*

Original post by Henrcb
Really? How depressing your post is! Don’t make assumptions. My sister got into LSE with very similar predicted grades and she actually did end up getting all A* better than her predictions. LSE knows some schools over predict grades so as a current student at LSE,my sister says having spoken to staff,they give more weighting to other parts of your application so predicted grades isn’t a deal breaker & it is so rude to put down others inspiration. The person who strongly put down probably has got some excellent offers!

We shall see, but applying to 3 top flight universities for which you don't meet a fundamental requirement seems a bit optimistic.
Maths is an interesting one as its one of those subjects where an A* is significantly more challenging compared to some other subjects (less than 20% get A or A* at A level if they got an A or A* at GCSE?)

Plus, DfE data shows that most predicted grades are at or above what student actually gets (but a small percentage do get better than predicted)

How strong is your Personal Statement?

If it was me I might go for a couple of Unis who say A* Maths requirement (you have A* Econ predicted) for the hell of it, and have some strong insurance choices because there is risk when applying to oversubscribed courses

Alt - do any of the "Economics with / and" courses appeal to you? They can be less over subscribed and more flexible on grades. My daughter was looking at Economics at St Andrews, Economics with Mandarin was significantly less subscribed and they were willing to make a really generous offer

Quick Reply