The Student Room Group

Referencing

How do I reference? I understand in theory but can't put it into practice properly. I don't want to fail. Please help.
Original post by HelpIAmStupid
How do I reference? I understand in theory but can't put it into practice properly. I don't want to fail. Please help.

Hi @HelpIAmStupid :h:

Referencing can be very intimidating but once you've done it a few times it gets a bit easier! What referencing style have you been advised to use (if you have)? I promise you're not the only one who is unsure about how to reference - so don't be afraid to message a tutor/academic advisor or someone who is best placed to help you at your uni for some guidance on this. And if you've not been advised as to what referencing style to use for your subject, that's a great question to ask too. I'm doing Film and Television Studies and personally use Harvard :h:

Danielle :smile:
it takes a while to get used to but it all depends which referencing board your uni uses. You will be able to find the harvard referencing guide on online libraries or watch youtube on it:smile:
Original post by HelpIAmStupid

Hi there!
If you are struggling then for my assignments I usually use an online reference system, I personally use mybib.com, it's really easy to use, you can select the style that you use for your subject and then it will format them as well as then put them in order for your bibliography for the end of your assignment. If you cannot use an online system then I recommend the book Cite Them Right- which is on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cite-Them-Right-Essential-Referencing/dp/1352005131/ref=sr_1_18?crid=1R6QE2SQZDAUY&keywords=citations&qid=1668616530&sprefix=citations%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-18
It tells you how to cite most forms of literature and how to use different referencing styles.
I hope this has helped!
-Beth, UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest