The Student Room Group

Is Edinburgh Uni a good safe option for me?

I've recently made a post asking for feedback on my uni choices and I've been told that I should choose safer options. This is what I'm thinking:
UCL (A*AA)
Imperial (A*A*A/A*AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)
Edinburgh (AAA - ABB) (the new safe option)

I know that Scottish unis are an extra year and if I wanted to apply directly to the second year, the entry requirements would be A*AA which means I wouldn't have a safe option so I'd go for the full course. If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful. I'm not sure how employers view Edinburgh as a uni for engineering so if you have any info on that, it would be great.

COPY AND PASTE OF ADDITIONAL INFO FROM THE LAST POST:
12x A* at GCSE
4x A's for AS - Predicted 4x A* and an A* in Welsh Bac
My AS grades are for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics.
I dropped biology this year and am taking the further maths full course and predicted A*.
Please don't criticise my A Level choices I'm happy taking 5 lol

Thank you !!
Original post by lottiejones7
I've recently made a post asking for feedback on my uni choices and I've been told that I should choose safer options. This is what I'm thinking:
UCL (A*AA)
Imperial (A*A*A/A*AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)

I know that Scottish unis are an extra year and if I wanted to apply directly to the second year, the entry requirements would be A*AA which means I wouldn't have a safe option so I'd go for the full course. If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful. I'm not sure how employers view Edinburgh as a uni for engineering so if you have any info on that, it would be great.

12x A* at GCSE
I dropped biology this year and am taking the further maths full course and predicted A*.

Thank you !!

Aside from entry requirements, you should also consider accommodation costs/availability. Bristol and Edinburgh have been in the press recently due to chronic shortages of student accommodation.
Scottish universities have places strictly limited by the Scottish government. No Scottish university is a safe option. Just because their required grades are lower doesn’t mean that you are guaranteed an offer
UCL (A*AA)
Imperial (A*A*A/A*AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)

12x A* at GCSE

Thank you !!

What's your fifth choice?
Original post by ageshallnot
What's your fifth choice?

Oxford... but the entrance exam didn't go very well so I'm kind of ignoring it
Oxford... but the entrance exam didn't go very well so I'm kind of ignoring it

Ah, fair enough.
UCL (A*AA)
Imperial (A*A*A/A*AAA)
Bristol (A*AA)

12x A* at GCSE

Thank you !!

Damn ok, i'm sure you will be fine. If you think you will be able to get A*AA then go for it, or you could apply for first year entry if you were worried about not meeting the requirements.

Quick Reply