The Student Room Group

confusion about my alevels

helloo im year 11 and ive always been set on studying economics for a while now, i have an interest in macro economics and have done supercurriculars ( which i still enjoy ) based on it loosely

recently i have had doubts if it is for me or if i will able to succeed and prosper as i come from a disadvantaged background. i go to a grammar school and everyone around me wants to do medicine so i am conflicted ab my alevel choices.

i know top unis for econ want further and im at a 9 in maths but idk if further is for me. i want to have a balanced set of alevels that keeps my career choices open

HELP!!!
Reply 1
i do history computing german seperate science btw
im predicted 787 for these but i think i can probs get 998 (maybe 9 in german ) if i grind bc these grades r based off one set of mocks.

for history ppl say they see me doing it but i cant imagine myself doing it, i like half the course a LOT but the other is middish my teacher siad i would be good at alevel and they woudl be happy to have me

computing i like coding but i have bad memory so i forget how to code a lot/ in alevel its content heavy but its same as gcse comp but extended BUT im only vibing with the NEA component

german i love it a lot recently its fun to learn a language but my german teacher has expressed things in class that if you get a 7 u really shouldnt do german ( not to me just generally ) but ive been doing good recently and its quite ' fresh ' and this would balance out subjects

predicted 999 for all my sciences but would not do physics as it doesnt interest me curriculia wise and chemistry is very content heavy which could hurt my brain. all my science teachers have said i would be good at alevel and they wud be happy to have me
Original post by oikawa-
helloo im year 11 and ive always been set on studying economics for a while now, i have an interest in macro economics and have done supercurriculars ( which i still enjoy ) based on it loosely

recently i have had doubts if it is for me or if i will able to succeed and prosper as i come from a disadvantaged background. i go to a grammar school and everyone around me wants to do medicine so i am conflicted ab my alevel choices.

i know top unis for econ want further and im at a 9 in maths but idk if further is for me. i want to have a balanced set of alevels that keeps my career choices open

HELP!!!
Original post by oikawa-

HELP!!!

maths fm chemistry physics will keep ur options open. drop fm if u can't cope. do bio if u can and drop it if u can't cope. always best to do more than u need th3n drop one
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by honeybuns2k5
maths fm chemistry physics will keep ur options open. drop fm if u can't cope. do bio if u can and drop it if u can't cope. always best to do more than u need th3n drop one

is there not a more balanced option set? im fine with a science as long as it could complement economics or like... maths !! gah sorrry im dreadfully confused
im predicted all 9s for sciences but i personally believe that wouldnt carry over in alevel.. i have no interest in physics or chem really
(edited 1 year ago)
don't do anything you're not interested in at a-level. it's not fun at all. please pick something you have enough of an interest to work hard in.
Reply 5
Original post by cherryblossomed
don't do anything you're not interested in at a-level. it's not fun at all. please pick something you have enough of an interest to work hard in.

thing is, im not interested in anything as of now. i have good grades in all my subjects but theyre so mid
Original post by oikawa-
is there not a more balanced option set? im fine with a science as long as it could complement economics or like... maths !! gah sorrry im dreadfully confused
im predicted all 9s for sciences but i personally believe that wouldnt carry over in alevel.. i have no interest in physics or chem really

Econ is a great choice, but I suggest looking at comp sci degree too seeing as you have an interest, because u could go into economic careers as well as tech with the degree. Loads of ppl apply for medicine, and whilst it comes with moral satisfaction, it just seems like too much effort when u can make just as much money and have more time with other degrees

As long as u have maths and fm can apply to any comp sci/Econ degree. For third a level it can be Econ Or comp sci. Or both I recommend for you. Don’t take a science just for sake of it, seems like a waste of choice if u don’t wanna pursue it at a degree.
Original post by oikawa-
thing is, im not interested in anything as of now. i have good grades in all my subjects but theyre so mid

i feel that cause i was the same.
i picked chem and maths, both of which i despise now. i don't care about them enough to want to devote time to work on them. the only one im good at is English because it's literally my special interest...
don't do all three science. two will be enough i think, to keep your options open.
maths and physics has a massive overlap, and bio and chem also have an overlap, though not as big.
Reply 8
Original post by CANUFEELMYHEART
Econ is a great choice, but I suggest looking at comp sci degree too seeing as you have an interest, because u could go into economic careers as well as tech with the degree. Loads of ppl apply for medicine, and whilst it comes with moral satisfaction, it just seems like too much effort when u can make just as much money and have more time with other degrees

As long as u have maths and fm can apply to any comp sci/Econ degree. For third a level it can be Econ Or comp sci. Or both I recommend for you. Don’t take a science just for sake of it, seems like a waste of choice if u don’t wanna pursue it at a degree.

Hmm i can get where you're coming from. although at my school if you do further maths you have to do 4 alevels since we do maths alevel at the end of y12. So that would force me to choose a different alevel adding further confusion!!!!! But i will consider the prospect of doing both econ and compsci even though im more likely to like econ

ur comment on not doing econ alevel has inspired me tho bc the economics course is dead until y13
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by cherryblossomed
i feel that cause i was the same.
i picked chem and maths, both of which i despise now. i don't care about them enough to want to devote time to work on them. the only one im good at is English because it's literally my special interest...
don't do all three science. two will be enough i think, to keep your options open.
maths and physics has a massive overlap, and bio and chem also have an overlap, though not as big.

ill keep your experience in mind
i think i might just do econ maths german further for now and change it on results day depending on my grades
Original post by oikawa-
Hmm i can get where you're coming from. although at my school if you do further maths you have to do 4 alevels since we do maths alevel at the end of y12. So that would force me to choose a different alevel adding further confusion!!!!! But i will consider the prospect of doing both econ and compsci even though im more likely to like econ

If Econ ur set on then make ur life easy and pick something like business/sociology as fourth. I recommend sociology coz it’s quite easy to grasp and then you are set on getting a good grade. As long as you go for something easy as your fourth you will thank urself. I knew many people who did a science, and wanted to do Econ, and a lot of them dropped the science a level towards the end. You don’t want to waste ur time on something you’ll drop, so pick something easy.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
If Econ ur set on then make ur life easy and pick something like business/sociology as fourth. I recommend sociology coz it’s quite easy to grasp and then you are set on getting a good grade.

unfortunately my sixthform dont offer sociology our options are very limited lol. I will probably apply for econ maths further and german for now and see how i feel on results day and first week
Original post by oikawa-
unfortunately my sixthform dont offer sociology our options are very limited lol. I will probably apply for econ maths further and german for now and see how i feel on results day and first week

German is great, if you think you have a natural skill and won’t have an issue spending time understanding it. I know for Econ, got an A this year in the a level, I spent ages trying to understand concepts and it wasn’t really an easy subject. So pick something that won’t take ur attention off the subjects that matter. Also, don’t stress abt the fourth as much, unis rarely give 4 a levels as an offer, so you could do amazing in 3 and not so well on the fourth and get in. I know someone who got into LSE for econ with A*AA and a C in furth maths.
Reply 13
German is great, if you think you have a natural skill and won’t have an issue spending time understanding it. I know for Econ, got an A this year in the a level, I spent ages trying to understand concepts and it wasn’t really an easy subject. So pick something that won’t take ur attention off the subjects that matter. Also, don’t stress abt the fourth as much, unis rarely give 4 a levels as an offer, so you could do amazing in 3 and not so well on the fourth and get in. I know someone who got into LSE for econ with A*AA and a C in furth maths.

That is reassuring thank you so much!!! I will defo keep that in mind sheeesh that has taken loads of concern off my mind
Also congrats on the A in econ
thankfully i have some contextual knowledge to econ fortunately as ive read books and often research key concepts for clubs i do but i will heed to your advice as alevel is wayy diff
Original post by oikawa-

u don't need either. do maths,fm,economics and bio
Original post by oikawa-

HELP!!!

Heya!
Econ a-levels is a really good subject :h: I did chem bio econ and maths, with econ being my fav! You could do econ,maths,FM and German/bio as you said and then drop one later. For econ you usually need maths (and Fm for top unis) but if you don't want to do econ in the future and change your mind that's fine, you can also do CS or even law instead :h:

Hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest