The Student Room Group

What’s A-Level psychology like?

Hi :smile:
I’m considering taking psychology as a fourth along with Biology, Chemistry and maths.

I was just wondering if anyone has done psychology and can give me their views on it because I don’t know too much about the subject.

Thanks
I did it as my extra and actually turned out to be my favourite. Most of it is really interesting learning about nature vs nurture, how we grow up affecting our adult life, biology of the brain, mental health disorders to name a few. It’s a really varied subject and does have a lot of content and I mean a lot. It’s not something you can do half heartedly if you want to do well. There’s a lot of specific studies etc to learn along with evaluation for those studies and just knowledge in general, if you put the work in it’s well worth it. I put the work in because I enjoyed it so much!
Psychology is slightly content-heavy but I personally found it really interesting
It would also go really well with biology due to the biopsychology unit (AQA)
I liked how there was a mixture of essays, maths and science
Some of the chapters covered (AQA) include social influence (different explanations for why people conform or obey), memory (looking into types and explanations for both long term memory, short term memory and forgetting), attachments (both human and animal studies), biopsychology (starts with basic biology then goes into more detailed content such as content on hemispheric lateralisation and split-brain research), research methods (includes some basic maths), issues and debates (such as nature vs nurture and idiographic vs nomothetic approaches) and optional topics (our school chose gender, aggression and schizophrenia)

Hope this gives a bit of insight and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
It’s content heavy but really interesting. I even did it at Uni lol
Reply 4
Original post by ALEreapp
I did it as my extra and actually turned out to be my favourite. Most of it is really interesting learning about nature vs nurture, how we grow up affecting our adult life, biology of the brain, mental health disorders to name a few. It’s a really varied subject and does have a lot of content and I mean a lot. It’s not something you can do half heartedly if you want to do well. There’s a lot of specific studies etc to learn along with evaluation for those studies and just knowledge in general, if you put the work in it’s well worth it. I put the work in because I enjoyed it so much!

great thank you! if you don't mind me asking, what else did you take for A-level, and did you spend most time of revision on psychology? thank you!!
Reply 5
Original post by SB1234567890
Psychology is slightly content-heavy but I personally found it really interesting
It would also go really well with biology due to the biopsychology unit (AQA)
I liked how there was a mixture of essays, maths and science
Some of the chapters covered (AQA) include social influence (different explanations for why people conform or obey), memory (looking into types and explanations for both long term memory, short term memory and forgetting), attachments (both human and animal studies), biopsychology (starts with basic biology then goes into more detailed content such as content on hemispheric lateralisation and split-brain research), research methods (includes some basic maths), issues and debates (such as nature vs nurture and idiographic vs nomothetic approaches) and optional topics (our school chose gender, aggression and schizophrenia)

Hope this gives a bit of insight and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have

thank you :smile: I really appreciate this!
Original post by gk001
great thank you! if you don't mind me asking, what else did you take for A-level, and did you spend most time of revision on psychology? thank you!!

I took originally bio, Chem and history aswell. I dropped history and yes I did spend the most time because the others were more about understanding than revision whereas psychology if you don’t have the knowledge just understanding don’t get you very far in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest