The Student Room Group

NEA

hey guys, I am just starting the NEA fieldwork investigation, I do AQA and im going to do human geography but I have absolutely no idea what to do for this as my teacher isn't really helping and is making us do all of it on our own, is it possible for someone to provide resources or give some examples please as im struggling and I don't even know how to start this, I assure this will be kept confidential. Please, thank you.

I am also not too sure if it is better to do human or water and carbon cycle, can someone please let me know what they did for there's and how they conducted this because I am struggling a lot please, please.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
What type of subject area and topics are you interested in human geography? What methods would you use to investigate this concept or phenomenon? Human geography research projects are usually more abstract or more difficult to do - they often involve senses, emotions, opinions, interpretations and other qualitative data. I know a lot of people do A level human geography NEAs about how successful an urban regeneration project has been, but what methods would you use? Who would you interview or send a questionnaire to? Instead you could do an ethnographic approach to collecting data where you undertake participant observation and write a research diary in which diary extracts and personal reflections become data sets if you were writing about who are the new users of this place for example. You could investigate a certain emotion such as fear or terror or record certain exclusions and inclusions of people within certain spaces - e.g. mapping the users and importance of LGBTQ social spaces in terms of LGBTQ+ rights and equality for example.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Human geography is interesting subject matter and a complex one due to its diversity ,,,get an handout free that has the content guide via +254759052600
Original post by Ðeggs
What type of subject area and topics are you interested in human geography? What methods would you use to investigate this concept or phenomenon? Human geography research projects are usually more abstract or more difficult to do - they often involve senses, emotions, opinions, interpretations and other qualitative data. I know a lot of people do A level human geography NEAs about how successful an urban regeneration project has been, but what methods would you use? Who would you interview or send a questionnaire to? Instead you could do an ethnographic approach to collecting data where you undertake participant observation and write a research diary in which diary extracts and personal reflections become data sets if you were writing about who are the new users of this place for example. You could investigate a certain emotion such as fear or terror or record certain exclusions and inclusions of people within certain spaces - e.g. mapping the users and importance of LGBTQ social spaces in terms of LGBTQ+ rights and equality for example.

hi I was just going to do changing places around my area and use some methods like questionnaires and some interviewing as I have a few people that I am able to interview but I am just struggling on what to do for the nea in general. can you please go into a little more detail as to how im meant to investigate certain emotions etc??
Reply 4
Hello, perhaps this was me being too university geography thinking, but I was just documenting how many human geography studies and researchers have conducted research and geographical interest into emotions and how some emotions, especially negative emotions like mourning, fear or trauma are related to geography and (geo)politics, for example the articles below. Researching emotions isn't straight forward or simple methodologically or theoretically, I was just mentioning how much work within human geography, especially ideas about attachment and perception of places for example utilises geographical work about emotions, perceptions and feelings.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1464936042000317677
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0309132508104994

One example might be you could propose a project about youth "climate anxiety" within your local area or your school, if you have a lot of friends in your year group of a facebook / group chat for example you could submit a questionnaire and ask people in your school / year group if they feel anxiety about the effects of climate change, if they feel politicians are doing enough and making enough policies and commitments towards net zero, you could then interview some more willing or interested participants just as an example. Your literature review / research section could be about how the current trends towards net zero aren't enough or being implemented fast enough to prevent the actual heating of the planet, is COP27 just a meeting for businessmen and capitalists that is excluding the representation of especially indigenous people and people from very climate vulnerable communities and countries. Your methods might be a general survey / questionnaire sent to your class / year group / group of friends, follow up interviews or structured discussions, writing a research diary or personal research extract about attending a climate change protest or rally (e.g. the Just Stop Oil protests occuring). Your data presentation would probably include bar charts or a word cloud to display what is the most significant or most common feeling from collecting survey data, and analysis / discussion about the themes mentioned in interviews that you did. Your conclusion could further explore why one certain emotion or feeling "e.g anxiety about climate change, feeling betrayed by politicians as Greta Thunberg puts it, pessimism", and provide your own conclusion as to whether the current policies about the transition towards net zero and reducing carbon emissions in the UK are enough or sufficient. There are so many directions you could explore and research, this is just one example.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(21)00278-3/fulltext
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/climate-anxiety-is-widespread-among-youth-can-they-overcome-it
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marvin-Helferich/publication/344123524_Associations_between_climate_change-related_efficacy_beliefs_social_norms_and_climate_anxiety_among_young_people_in_Germany/links/5f589295458515e96d3b61ad/Associations-between-climate-change-related-efficacy-beliefs-social-norms-and-climate-anxiety-among-young-people-in-Germany.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest