Turn on thread page Beta

What is your experience of council estate living? watch

Council housing estates in Britain come in for their share of criticism - but is this deserved?

Crime, litter, and anti-social neighbours are some of the negative images which are sometimes portrayed.

Against this lie the positive images of strong community bonds and life amongst people who take care of each other in times of need.

Have you lived on a council housing estate? Do you believe the portrayal of council estates is fair? What changes would you make to the estate you live on?

ReputationRep:
    i live close to one, its terrible just chavs all over the place hanging around up to no good lol but hey i dont go out much around the area just to broad street :P

ReputationRep:
    Council estates wouldn't be bad had the government at the time not designed them quite so badly.

Actually, that's not uniformly true, I've seen a handful of quite pleasant council estates (notably always in South East England) but in the main they're composed of horrible buildings constructed with absolutely no regard to aesthetics.

Design properly, and you'll notice a reduction in crime. I guarantee it.

ReputationRep:
    Tower blocks are asking for trouble. The ones I know of that consisit of houses have a very close knit community feel to them. But then again, in London land isn't cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I have lived on one, all my life, and not ashamed to say so. It used to be a fantastic area, but now crime has taken hold of the youth...but not me The community spirit round here used to be so tight, but now it's not, and that's a crying shame. But, what can you do? The police won't help, the schools don't care, action must be taken. I think the stigma surrounding council estates is wrong. Not all youngsters from council estates are stupid chavs who hang around corner shops all day drinking White Lightning. I'm attempting to make something of myself, even if the kids I grew up with are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Have Your Say)

Have you lived on a council housing estate? Do you believe the portrayal of council estates is fair? What changes would you make to the estate you live on?
    I've never lived in one, but my friend does and hes constantly having people around drinking. But he isnt a 'chav'. I have no opinion on council housing as far as stereotypes goe.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I lived one one, it was houses though, all with families. Honestly, i loved it growing up. I remember all the mums sitting outside one of the the houses (looking back they were drinking) and the dads would be watching football or whatever inside and we would just ride up and down or play around outside because there would be lots of kids. And we would have amazing water fights and some great birthday parties.

But now, these people arent nice people any more. Im okay, they know me and all say hi, but i dont really hang around with them. They have got into crime etc and the place isnt such a great place to live any more. I dont think thats to do with it being a council estate though.

ReputationRep:
    I live on a council estate and I dont mind admitting it. There are houses, small tower blocks and masonettes , we live in a house. Everyone seems to know everyone else and yeah there is a sense of community which I like. Apparently where I live is one of the most deprived estates in Birmingham!. It is a bit of a whole and we were burgled this may just gone. Yes there are chavs that hang around most of the day and quite a few people are either hooked on the drink , ciggies or drugs. But right now I dont have a choice where I live, so I lock the doors and windows.Theres also been a couple of murders around here too, but it was all to do with drugs, dealers and people owing money to said dealers.

ReputationRep:
    There are two quite close to my area, i briefly lived with an ex who lived in one, quite a few of my friends grew up in them, two of them being my best friends.

The majority aren't bad to be honest, my ex's one was great, they all knew each other and stopped to chat etc, (you don't get that down roads/streets etc particularly), and all the boys played football together whilst the girls all chatted and had fun together, I think it's a common misconception people from all council estates 'sit on their ass all day', I never knew people who spent less time indoors!

Two of my best male friends both live on a one nearby, it's pretty rough, there's been 2 murders there actually in the past few years, a few gangs etc, but everyone has again been very friendly to me when I've visited my friends (although possibly because I know people there).

Yes, they are often more dangerous, but most of the people aren't too bad. Of course you get the occasional chavvy yob (male or female) with a big mouth that causes havoc, but in my opinion they aren't any worse than the snobby rahs who populate the majority of other places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maria0208)
    but now crime has taken hold of the youth...
    What an odd turn of phrase. Seems to divorce 'the youth' from any sort of responsibility: like criminality snuck up on them in a dark alleyway and forced them under its wing.

The community spirit round here used to be so tight, but now it's not, and that's a crying shame. But, what can you do? The police won't help, the schools don't care, action must be taken.
    Realistically, schools and the police have never felt the need to deal with every piece of petty crime and social complaint going. Communities used to do it - so you cannot blame authority. Quite simply, it is the parents.

ReputationRep:
    Mine's actually quite nice, one trouble causing family, couple of fires behind our house and a little 12-year old 'gang' who thought smoking was really, really rebellious :rolleyes:

Mainly it's old folk round here, and people with young children, it's like the nice part. There's a slightly rougher part down the road from us which is rather chavvy but my parts pretty good. Only real gripe is that noone talks to each other, we were the last to find out our next door neighbour's husband had died

ReputationRep:
    I've never lived on one but I've lived near some and I have to say that my experiences have not been overly positive. Lots of gangs hang around etc. I'm sure there must be some nice council estates around somewhere but I just haven't encountered any yet.

ReputationRep:
    Back home live near one of the 2 worst estates in bradford. Plenty of travellers set up camp around their and plenty of horses are tied up every where you can see grass. The shopping arcades are smashed up with every window with a grill on and tons of glass every where, cars dumped and burnt on the fields all the time. chavs every where you look.... i remember when i was a kid and i walking home thru there, and i must of been only around 12 and this other 12yr i knew from school held a knife to me and took all my money (lucky it was only 10p :P).

Not nice places really, but im bias on knowing the most experience with this one estate
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's not that bad. Community police officers seem to keep the trouble away... Most people know each other and help each other out. Litter isn't bad and neither are the 'gangs' - they keep themselves to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I lived on a council estate when i was little, it wasn't a bad place to live, always friendly people around, good community spirit.
    It had been even stronger when my dad and grandad had been little but yeh its not so much like that anymore.
    Its not the worst estate but its not exactly nice anymore either.

I agree mostly that there is a lot of crime because of or at least partly because of the poverty but there is still a community there who do support each other, although this is mostly extended families supporting each other.

ReputationRep:
    I live on a council estate in Leeds and when I was younger it used to be great as there were loads of kids my age about and so we all played out on the street and everyone knew one another. Theres always been quite a lot of trouble but there was a sense of community like you look after your own kinda thing. Theres less major trouble now but the kids who are about 13/14 have decided they think its cool to be in a "gang" even though every one thinks their ridiculous they cause petty trouble which adds up and the plastic coppers seem to be more interested in making mates with them than actually stopping them. Overall though I think there does tend to be a stronger sense of community.=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Council estates wouldn't be bad had the government at the time not designed them quite so badly.

Actually, that's not uniformly true, I've seen a handful of quite pleasant council estates (notably always in South East England) but in the main they're composed of horrible buildings constructed with absolutely no regard to aesthetics.

Design properly, and you'll notice a reduction in crime. I guarantee it.
    ...so much so that the Government has a policy on it.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/public...ng/saferplaces

ReputationRep:
    I've never had any issues living on a council estate and there definitely are no more problems here than anywhere else. Campus living is 100 times worse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maria0208)
    I have lived on one, all my life, and not ashamed to say so. It used to be a fantastic area, but now crime has taken hold of the youth...but not me The community spirit round here used to be so tight, but now it's not, and that's a crying shame. But, what can you do? The police won't help, the schools don't care, action must be taken. I think the stigma surrounding council estates is wrong. Not all youngsters from council estates are stupid chavs who hang around corner shops all day drinking White Lightning. I'm attempting to make something of myself, even if the kids I grew up with are not.
    This :yep:
    I spent the first 17 years of my life on a council estate and went to the 4th worst school in England, and I turned out just fine. It all depends on your parents in my opinion. Fair enough, there were quite a few chavs around, and a lot of anti-social behaviour, but we were never affected by it.

ReputationRep:
    i live on one admiteddly its right by newman college and ive never had a whiff of trouble from anyone. My neighbour is a very nice old man who doesnt mind my long hair and enjoys sitting out on the balcony chatting to me. People say that my area is rougha dn whilst its not the most pleasent i dont feel particuarly unsafe there

One thing about where i live is that if you keep your nose out of the affairs of the trouble makers they wont give you any hassle. They wont s*** on thier own doorstep that being said i dont leave my door unlocked at night

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2010
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.