The Student Room Group

Engineering

So I’m in yr13 about to apply to uni this Monday but now I’m stuck between two types of engineering, aerospace and chemical engineering. I hv a personal statement for aerospace but not chemE. I’m predicted ABC in chemistry,biology,maths respectively. I’m taking a foundation yr as I didn’t take a level physics and I’m not the greatest at maths but I really enjoy studying it but just didn’t shine in my mock but it’s fine. My question is if I take a foundation yr in aerospace but decide it’s not for me can I switch to chemical engineering after completing the foundation year as I’ve heard the first few yrs of engineering is similar so it shouldn’t be a problem right?

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ermm145
So I’m in yr13 about to apply to uni this Monday but now I’m stuck between two types of engineering, aerospace and chemical engineering. I hv a personal statement for aerospace but not chemE. I’m predicted ABC in chemistry,biology,maths respectively. I’m taking a foundation yr as I didn’t take a level physics and I’m not the greatest at maths but I really enjoy studying it but just didn’t shine in my mock but it’s fine. My question is if I take a foundation yr in aerospace but decide it’s not for me can I switch to chemical engineering after completing the foundation year as I’ve heard the first few yrs of engineering is similar so it shouldn’t be a problem right?

Thanks

In hindsight, aerospace engineering is more physics-y and chemical engineering is more chemistry-y so it could be a case of testing the courses - switching between courses depends on the university, for example at Newcastle, Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, genetics, etc all have the same first year then people choose what they want.
Original post by Ermm145

Thanks

Hi @Ermm145 !

I can't answer for other Universities but I know that at Sheffield the foundation course for all the engineering disciplines is very similar.
Both the foundation years for aerospace and chemical engineering focuses on maths, physics and chemistry, which should help give you a deeper scientific background when you start the degree.

It is very possible to change onto a different engineering discipline once you've completed the foundation year, you'll just have to apply for a change of course which is super easy! One of my friends who is studying chemical engineering started with a foundation year in mechanical engineering, then switched over.

Hope this helped :smile:

From Orla - 3rd Year Chemical Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending