The Student Room Group

How are you finding year 12?

I am studying Biology, Geography and Religious Studies and I was wondering how other year 12s are finding the jump from GCSE to A level.
Pretty good. I’m finding it quite nice as I have gone from 12 GCSEs to just 4 A levels (Maths, FM, Chem, Phys) - all of which I enjoy.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I am studying Biology, Geography and Religious Studies and I was wondering how other year 12s are finding the jump from GCSE to A level.

I'm doing maths, cs and business. When i heard that the jump from GCSES to A levels was hard, i thought they were exaggerating but no, i'm on the verge of having a breakdown every other day. I'm glad we get frees, it definitely makes the work more manageable although according to our teachers, they haven't even started piling the work on us so idk how im going to stay alive this time next year. Everyone feels the same as i do which makes it more comforting

im doing english lit, psychology and politics and i've got to say i'm so behind in terms of revision and it is a massive jump from gcses which i underestimated. we get set 1 hr 'hws' from each subject even if the course is split against two teachers and on top of that, assessed essays which is so much work. it's only a couple months in and im already feeling the pressure, god knows how i'll make it through this year.
Ok, I'm in year 13, and here is some incredible, insane advise:

for biology, watch Miss Estruch on YouTube. (she is the GOAT) better than all of my teachers and teaches topics in no time giving me those juicy A*s
Summarise her videos into flashcards and then use the technique of blurting to test your knowledge.

Geography is weird. Its easy and hard at the same time, as like half of it is common sense, but there are so many freaking case study's and facts that you need to know to back up your points, that it just makes it so hard to revise. Also, the NEA nearly killed me so good luck!

don't over revise. when revising for exams, start far in advance and just do a couple of hours every day using the Pomodoro technique and you will be dreams.
Idk it’s not really on the map
I normally just stumble upon it
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by harrybellis
Ok, I'm in year 13, and here is some incredible, insane advise:

for biology, watch Miss Estruch on YouTube. (she is the GOAT) better than all of my teachers and teaches topics in no time giving me those juicy A*s
Summarise her videos into flashcards and then use the technique of blurting to test your knowledge.

Geography is weird. Its easy and hard at the same time, as like half of it is common sense, but there are so many freaking case study's and facts that you need to know to back up your points, that it just makes it so hard to revise. Also, the NEA nearly killed me so good luck!

don't over revise. when revising for exams, start far in advance and just do a couple of hours every day using the Pomodoro technique and you will be dreams.

what is the pomodoro technique??
Original post by t.airakev
what is the pomodoro technique??

25 mins revising, 5 min break. It just helps me with procrastination as i know that i only have to do 25 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBFMP3HDZA&t=5880s&ab_channel=%E9%98%BF%E9%B2%8DAbao

the amount of times I've watched that video is disgusting

Daughter is loving being at sixth form college, but she is getting a bit burned out from the work load and the commute.
In her recent CAP tests (whatever a CAP test is!) she got an A in Classical Civilisation, a B in Art, and and a D in English, so she really needs to focus on getting that English grade up.

Heya!
Just as advice, if you have some resources for bio then do check out Study Mind for free bio past papers and revision notes all done by topic :h: Make sure to keep up with a-level content!
Hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest