The Student Room Group

personal statement when applying for two degrees

hi, i am looking for some advice for my personal statement for university. i am wanting to apply for both paramedic science and midwifery at (Northumbria university and Sunderland university)
is a dual statement a negative for the universities? or would it be acceptable if i blend them together using the similarities within the roles?
i currently work within the private ambulance sector so i have experience in the line of work however i also have a keen passion towards midwifery due to having personal experiences having two children of my own.
any help or tips would be very much appreciated, thank you
Original post by rachelk95
hi, i am looking for some advice for my personal statement for university. i am wanting to apply for both paramedic science and midwifery at (Northumbria university and Sunderland university)
is a dual statement a negative for the universities? or would it be acceptable if i blend them together using the similarities within the roles?
i currently work within the private ambulance sector so i have experience in the line of work however i also have a keen passion towards midwifery due to having personal experiences having two children of my own.

By 'dual statement' I'm assuming you mean two separate personal statements? Ideally, no, but this is something you should check with the unis in question.

When writing a PS for two separate degrees (as I gather they are), you should satisfy the requirements for both. This means that your PS should clearly state why you chose the degree, what interests you about it and what your future plans are for both courses.

You should definitely mention your ambulance experience and passion for midwifery, as this will help substantiate your interest in those fields.

If I've gotten anything wrong here, please feel free to correct me! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sleep_supremacy
By 'dual statement' I'm assuming you mean two separate personal statements? Ideally, no, but this is something you should check with the unis in question.

When writing a PS for two separate degrees (as I gather they are), you should satisfy the requirements for both. This means that your PS should clearly state why you chose the degree, what interests you about it and what your future plans are for both courses.

You should definitely mention your ambulance experience and passion for midwifery, as this will help substantiate your interest in those fields.

If I've gotten anything wrong here, please feel free to correct me! :smile:

hi, thank you for your replay

as you can only do one UCAS application with one personal statement but have up to 5 choices of degrees i was just wanting to know if i have chosen two degrees to apply for paramedic science and midwifery, do i have to do my personal statement on one or the other or can i mention both within the one statement. I just dont want to do my personal statement on both for the universities to be put off and then thet results in me not getting a place on ether course.
hi, thank you for your replay

as you can only do one UCAS application with one personal statement but have up to 5 choices of degrees i was just wanting to know if i have chosen two degrees to apply for paramedic science and midwifery, do i have to do my personal statement on one or the other or can i mention both within the one statement. I just dont want to do my personal statement on both for the universities to be put off and then thet results in me not getting a place on ether course.

If you're applying through UCAS, you can only write one PS, and since you're applying to two degrees, it would need to have content for both of them. However, you could contact the unis directly and ask them if they would be willing to accept a separate PS.

Hi @rachelk95

Writing a personal statement can be tricky therefore you may find this link https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/guides/writing-your-personal-statement/ more useful to help you get a feel for what Universities tend to look for in a personal statement as well as how best to write one. I hope this helps and good luck with writing your personal statements :smile:

Thanks
Jasmine
Northumbria University UG Rep
I feel your pain!

UCAS only allowing 1 Personal Statement is incredibly restricting if you have variety in your degree choices - don't know why they would force you to do that
Unis for those courses will have enough applicants applying for just that course to fill their spaces - it's unwise to apply for two courses like that I'm afraid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending