Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, maybe they don't say it straight out, but how do you feel about people from partially donation-funded organisations stopping you on the street and asking for money?

I had to deal with the same group twice earlier; on the way down I got away with a "I don't have the time", but on the way back up the guy lept straight into his routine before I could make any excuses. It didn't last long after that; I was offended by one of them suggesting £24 isn't a lot of money and went on my way. I think it's pretty low to target students of all people.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him hes breaking the law and walk past them. Thats what I do every time I see someone whos collecting money, shaking their tins or shouting out to people.

ReputationRep:
    They are? What law? I just assumed it was legal since police wander around the area and do nothing. Is there anything I can quote to them? :p:

Just ignore them. I do this with the proles who hand out leaflets by uni.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know the name of the law but it goes along the lines of "trying to intimidate the general public to do something/ give something that they lawfully do not have to"
    something like that, thats why you shouldnt shake your tin when collecting money, and thats why I always get annoyed when I see the fancy dressed students leaping in front of you when they're collecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DominF)
    They are? What law? I just assumed it was legal since police wander around the area and do nothing. Is there anything I can quote to them? :p:
    From what I have heard it is illegal to impose upon people by tin-rattling and using hard-selling techniques. What they are supposed to do is stand there and let people make donations of their own accord.

ReputationRep:
    I try and keep them talking as long as possible, when they see I'm actually wasting their time they then try to get rid of me. I love reversing the role, showing how annoying it can be to stop people in the street when they have places to go. It might have taken 15 minutes of my time away but I've probably saved 3-4 others having to be lectured about their "cause" and how awesome it might be.

ReputationRep:
    Rofl, they aren't breaking the law. If they are intimidating you, harassing you or stopping you from getting where you want to do they could be committing all sorts of offences, but simply asking for money is not illegal. Shaking the tin is not enough to make it illegal.

Just walk straight past and ignore them if you don't like it, very simple. No need to even respond.

ReputationRep:
    Well, maybe they don't say it straight out, but how do you feel about people from partially donation-funded organisations stopping you on the street and asking for money?

I had to deal with the same group twice earlier; on the way down I got away with a "I don't have the time", but on the way back up the guy lept straight into his routine before I could make any excuses. It didn't last long after that; I was offended by one of them suggesting £24 isn't a lot of money and went on my way. I think it's pretty low to target students of all people.
    They're scum of the lowest order. I come up with more and more far fetched and offensive replies to their pleas for help every time they try it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand these people in the streets, I just offer a "No thanks" or a "No time, sorry" so as not to seem rude. But after incessant shouting and asking, they can really get on your nerves. Sure, its a tough job for them and they have got to get their money, but when you have it at you every day, they aren't going to be getting anything from me.

ReputationRep:
    I tell them nicely 'I'm in a hurry'....and THEN if they carry on I get more and more offensive till they give up....

ReputationRep:
    Don't they get paid something ridiculous like £8 an hour to annoy people?

Just tell them politely to bugger off.

ReputationRep:
    Are they breaking the law if you make it clear that you aren't interested and they keep pushing it?

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you already donate. It made me feel so guilty, but worked every time. :p:

They don't target students, whoever said that.

ReputationRep:
    Are they breaking the law if you make it clear that you aren't interested and they keep pushing it?

I had a guy from a charity do that to me last year, I just said I'd complain and he backed off

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I don't understand why they target students - I listened to a nice women talking about abuses of human rights in Iran I think it was. I was very happy to sign her petition thing but the second I was asked about a donation just completely changed the tone, at this stage of life I don't have spare cash to give away as much as there are worthy causes out there.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it even more when they're wearing hoodies with the hood up. It's just so intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgEGNT)
    I dont know the name of the law but it goes along the lines of "trying to intimidate the general public to do something/ give something that they lawfully do not have to"
    something like that, thats why you shouldnt shake your tin when collecting money, and thats why I always get annoyed when I see the fancy dressed students leaping in front of you when they're collecting.
    For the most part it is not illegal for them to try and stop you, talk to you and ask you for a donation.

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I never shout at people when collecting money for Karnival and once they say their bit, I will get out of their way whatever their excuse. If anything, I'd rather have a made up excuse than be completely ignored.
    I know when we go out collecting there's usually at least 20 of us that have travelled to the city and everyone you stop is likely to have been bugged by at least one other person, so if they say they've already given, I say thanks and give them a smile. I have never been aggressive or persuasive, to my downfall at times (there are forfeits on the way home for the worst collectors), and I make a point of asking for pennies. We are told we can't rattle our tins, and I never do, but I do keep it moving because you ache after a while if you don't.
    I do not get paid for it (in fact we pay £5 for the journey and alcohol on the way back and £1.50 minimum for the driver's 'tip' i.e. bribe, so he allows us to wreck his coach! :p:).

The day is fun, you bond with your mates, you get ridiculously drunk on the way home, you pee in bushes by the roadside, you're dressed up in stupid clothes and you're raising money for charity. Love it!

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, are they people in red hanging around the city centre? I told one of them point blank that I had no money in my account (truthfully!) and he had the nerve to tell me that he thought I was lying and that £20 wasn't much! That has to last me the entire week, mister. >:!
    I don't really see what they think they'll achieve by asking students...

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.