Turn on thread page Beta

Bit worried about an email I received, someone please help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well I received some emails I dunno how the person got my email address, I'm guessing a forum or something.

Anyway, I opened them up,

first one was trying to get me to buy something or other a while ago so I just ignored it thinking it was spam, didn't pay much attention to it at all.

But today I received two, one saying ebay payment complete and it will be dispatched in 2 days or something.

Then I got another one and opened the link it had in it wondering what is this? in curiosity and it displayed my ip address, connection and stuff and is now saying the ebay person has them or something

I don't really have a clue what they can do or what the hell this is about but it is worrying me quite a bit. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Please can anyone help here? Could someone do anything bad if they get hold of an ip adress or the connection for our internet? Or do you think I should stop worrying? Do you reckon it might be some stupid prank thing or an actual scam that I should be worried about?

ReputationRep:
    Don't know much about this but no one can do anything bad with your I.P address and it does sound like a prank/spam or a stupid scam. I would not worry personally although someone will be able to give you better advice than me.

That said do you have accounts on any sale site in which someone may have got access too and purchased stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, nope I don't have any accounts for stuff like ebay and if I do I don't have any credit card signed up to them because I don't have a credit card. I have used my parents one though on sites like HMV, online stores etc but they couldn't get that could they?

This is the email they sent, the one that worried me anyway when I opened the link:

Many thanks for you custom

To access your item simply click the link below, or copy and paste it into you brower

(ebaypro-typepad url for website was posted here)

both user id and password are set to ebaypro

please forward any emals to me via contact seller on ebay.

many thanks toohits
    Anyone recognise the url from any stories as a scam or a proper thing to be worried about?

WARNING: I wouldn't advise opening it either! Just in case!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicky Nitro)
    Thanks for the reply, nope I don't have any accounts for stuff like ebay and if I do I don't have any credit card signed up to them because I don't have a credit card. I have used my parents one though on sites like HMV, online stores etc but they couldn't get that could they?
    I would not be able to say, I highly doubt it as you would expect companies such as HMV/Ebay to have pretty tight security. It does honestly sound like a scam/spam but the chance of them actually already scamming you is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    its a scam then. if you have no accounts in any online shopping site, and since no one can do anythin bad with your IP address then i wouldnt worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reassurance guys, but I edited my post, does anyone recognise the url? Has anyone heard anything about this so called ebay pro?

ReputationRep:
    Could not find anything on Google/Yahoo about it, I would have a search around to see if anyone else is in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    I searched for typepad and Wikipedia says it is:

TypePad is a blogging service from company Six Apart Ltd, and the largest paid blogging service in the world.[citation needed] Originally launched in October 2003, TypePad is based on Six Apart's Movable Type platform, and shares technology with Movable Type such as templates and APIs, but is marketed to non-technical users and includes additional features like multiple author support, photo albums and moblogging.

The service is available in several languages and countries around the world, but in the United States is sold at three different subscription levels.

TypePad is currently used by many large organizations and media companies to host their weblog, such as ABC, MSNBC, the CBC, the BBC and Sky News.

On June 9, 2008, Steve Jobs announced Typepad will be available for the iPhone in early July.
    So what does everyone think?

Also the page that I'm linked to it says the date is around June or July 2008, or the date the blog was done anyway, and the seller was GOLDENCHICKENCHASER

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think I should actually email back to the email adress who sent it to me and tell them I didn't buy anything?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother, because if it turns out to be a spammer/fraudster they then know your email address is live. If you haven't bought anything there can be no further repercussions for you.

ReputationRep:
    I got two emails just then again but they didn't seem linked, it was one of those ones saying about someone in trouble, both exactly the same from the same email and they needed a certain amount of money etc. so maybe it is just spam and the ebay link thing was just spam with some url code thing that displays your IP address and connection back at you making you worried (which works as I am!) One thing I definetly know is I have not entered any details in to the links they have sent so I think I should hopefully be okay. They wouldn't be able to get into any of my accounts with my IP and my connection would they? And you can't get into someone's computer system and look at all their documents or details with just them two pieces of information can you? Isn't your IP and connection sent to every sie you visit anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Type pad is a blogging site. Don't reply to the emails of even bother reading them, they definitely sound like spam.

Just to clear your mind, check your bank statement or your parents ... ebay related purchases always send email via their ebay account so you know you can trust them ... since you don't have an ebay account and the link is for a blog site I wouldn't worry :nah:

Your safe, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks EMJaaay, thanks Devel, Fandellos and Wilt too! I feel a bit more easy about this now, how long do you reckon until I know I am entirely safe from anything happening if it doesn't happen? As in give it a certain amount of day or weeks and if nothing happens I should definetly be safe?

Thanks for all the help really appreciate it, I don't know how to rep properly but I'll give it a go and try rep you all!

Edit: I repped Devel but it only lets me rep one a day so I will ge around to you all when I can. Thanks. I just hope you are all right about this.

ReputationRep:
    One more thing I just thought, this person couldn't work out where I'm living from my IP address and network could they?

ReputationRep:
    One more thing I just thought, this person couldn't work out where I'm living from my IP address and network could they?
    Well, it's sometimes possible to get a rough idea of where in the world you are; but it's damn night impossible to get your address unless they happened to work for your ISP.
    Your IP address isn't that private, so someone telling you that they know it isn't a big deal. Every single website that you go on will log your IP address as having visited it. If I were to add an image in my webspace to this post, I could also get your IP address.

Basically, there's nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    If he can get your Internets provider to give him it, but they would not unless he was a police man and you were a Peter File or equivelent.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks EMJaaay, thanks Devel, Fandellos and Wilt too! I feel a bit more easy about this now, how long do you reckon until I know I am entirely safe from anything happening if it doesn't happen? As in give it a certain amount of day or weeks and if nothing happens I should definetly be safe?

Thanks for all the help really appreciate it, I don't know how to rep properly but I'll give it a go and try rep you all!

Edit: I repped Devel but it only lets me rep one a day so I will ge around to you all when I can. Thanks. I just hope you are all right about this.
    Don't worry about it, honestly :yep: and if in doubt check your statement in the next two weeks and that of your parents also if you can and if nothing is charged then your safe :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Well, it's sometimes possible to get a rough idea of where in the world you are; but it's damn night impossible to get your address unless they happened to work for your ISP.
    Your IP address isn't that private, so someone telling you that they know it isn't a big deal. Every single website that you go on will log your IP address as having visited it. If I were to add an image in my webspace to this post, I could also get your IP address.

Basically, there's nothing to worry about
    Thanks estel, I'll rep you too when it will let me lol. Some of what you said there went over my head so I'm guessing you know what you're talking about. Despite me doing ICT at GNVQ and A Level I have an absolutely awful knowledge of it! I was just wondering though we have a network in our home, as in the PC and our laptops are connected to it and it gives a hint of our city in the code for it so I was wondering there's no way that could be used for anything either is there?

Thanks a lot everyone!

ReputationRep:
    as in the PC and our laptops are connected to it and it gives a hint of our city in the code for it so I was wondering there's no way that could be used for anything either is there?
    Like what? :p:
    Though in doing so I can't help but think of this, I'll happily tell you that my IP address is 87.194.212.81 (zomg! static!) and you can do with it what you will ¬.¬

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks estel! I suppose losing those disks would have been much worse than someone finding out my IP and network code so I guess I will be okay, mabe it is just some stupid prank. At least I've learnt something from this though! Don't open emails that say things you know you haven't done, even if you are curious!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 17, 2008
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.