The Student Room Group

how to put on muscle and lose fat?

im a 5ft3 female and maintain weight on around 1600cal
recently started going to the gym and wanna put on muscle and lose fat at the same time. what should I do? eg. deficit/surplus orr
It is actually a mixture of both. Because you will likely need to go through two processes, bulking and shredding.

Bulking is a process when you solely focus on building muscle and shredding is what people usually call when they try to maintain muscle and only lose fat.

For the first process, you should be in calorie surplus and your diet should contain mainly healthy proteins. You should also focus on weight training, because muscles only grow when you tear them and then they regrow during recovery periods. Once you have gained a bit of size, you should then focus on maintaining as much muscle mass and losing as much fat. This is done by doing lots of cardio but also doing lots of weight training and eating enough protein to help preserve muscle mass. If you do this correctly, then you will have low body fat and more muscle. A lot of people can't get this right the first time and it also depends on your genetics. Some people can't build as much muscle mass and others have different metabolic rates.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by username6039396
It is actually a mixture of both. Because you will likely need to go through two processes, bulking and shredding.

Bulking is a process when you solely focus on building muscle and shredding is what people usually call when they try to maintain muscle and only lose fat.

For the first process, you should be in calorie surplus and your diet should contain mainly healthy proteins. You should also focus on weight training, because muscles only grow when you tear them and then they regrow during recovery periods. Once you have gained a bit of size, you should then focus on maintaining as much muscle mass and losing as much fat. This is done by doing lots of cardio but also doing lots of weight training and eating enough protein to help preserve muscle mass. If you do this correctly, then you will have low body fat and more muscle. A lot of people can't get this right the first time and it also depends on your genetics. Some people can't build as much muscle mass and others have different metabolic rates.

ohh thanks so much. how can I bulk without gaining excess fat and how much protein should I eat per day in a bulk? and how would I know when it's time to cut?
also does body recomp take more time than bulking+shredding?

What you are actually wanting to do is a body recomposition (lose fat & gain muscle), basically you will want to eat in a calorie deficit (burn more calories than you consume) whilst strength training.

Just Google “body recomposition”
Reply 4
that sounds good ty ((:
if I eat under 1600 calories tho would my metabolism be screwed

Quick Reply

Latest