Need to plan where to go with my gap year! Watch

Mattibo
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi all,
Its my first post so here goes.
I just finished college in june this year and decided to have a gap year before going to uni in september 2009 to study games design .

My first concearn was the funding to do some travelling so I got myself a job in ToysRus which I stuck at for about 7 weeks and then realised I hated it. Now Im in a great firm job which is salary based and is office/customer service work and im really happy with my income so thats my funding side of things dealt with. My partner has also took a gap year who already has a great income backed behind her and will find it easy to fund.

I already have a snowboarding holiday booked for january which im excited for but would like to do a month or so travelling later in the year and have no idea of how to go about it or where to go.

I hear that a lot of volunteering sites are good but the prices for some are a bit over the top in my opinion without flights too :woo: . I think I would either like to do some work with animals/conservation or some sort of treking but I really don't know how to go about it? whether to just get a flight and go or have everything organized with a company.

Just looking for a bit of advice thanks.

Matt
KayleeLand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Heres a volunteering website thats free - www.volunteersouthamerica.net
i_hate_examz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was going to use either RealGap or antother volunteer sight, but your right, your paying for pretty much nothing, and although it says that it includes accomidation and food, the total cost of thoes still wouldnt equal what your payung in the first place. Plus your accomadadtion will always be in once place ( you wont be able to move to another location), and things like food will be give all at set times (or so i've heard)

what i'll be doing is, booking the ticket, and a hotel for prehaps 3 or 4 days. ill head over, and go to the hotel, and then look about the local area and decide where you want to do

you'll certinaly find alot of places that would be more than glad to accept your offer of voluntary work !
fasteddy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It really depends on where you want to go / what specifically you want to do. There are lots of animal placements in Asia / South America, but if you go there you might as well do a rtw trip! I volunteered at an wildlife sactuary in Thailand which was amazing, but I set the placement up in the UK through an agency and ended up paying around £200 per week!!!! When I arrived, volunteers are welcome to turn up and make a small donation so i got well ripped off!!! It was amazing though, if you are interested pm me & I'll send you their contact details. Also if you goto Thailand there are lots of trekking opportunities in the North which is all really cheap!

If you browse this directory site there are a list of companies who do placements which you are looking for some are big companies and others are free and low cost -
http://www.oneworld365.org/activity/conservation
http://www.oneworld365.org/activity/animals

Enjoy the snowboard holiday, maybe you might decide to do a ski season instead haha?

Let us know if you find anything good
bmw564
Report 10 years ago
I went volunteering with Projects Abroad when I took time out after finishing school. Unlike some things I hear about similar organisations I felt I was getting something for my money. The conservation project I was working on was really well established and worthwhile. I also really appreciated the in country support, especially when all my luggage got lost.
When I was trying to plan my trip I didnt really know where to start either which is why going with an organisation would make things easier for you. What i found was that I then met people on the projects with whom i could travel independently once we had finished. After having the support and back up for the first few weeks I felt much more confident travelling idependently after that.
Mattibo
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am considering now going through africa, starting in the north in egypt and working my way south to a place where my partners aunty lives, doing a bit of sightseeing etc in egypt and then trying to finds some wildlife sanctuarys/trecks/conservation work as we head down.

I have never been to africa however and arn't sure how safe it is for me to do this, what does everyone think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads