The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

University of Bristol MSc Computer Science (Conversion)

Hello, I am very eager to apply for the above titled course. Is there anybody else who is interested in this course? Are there any opinions of this specific course or the course in a more general regard? Any discourse is very welcome! I would like to get as much insight as possible.
Reply 1
Hey, I am also applying to Bristol as one of my options but for BSc. It is one of my safer options but I would still be happy to study there as I've heard its a good uni and a solid city too
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by AllesGutMann
Hello, I am very eager to apply for the above titled course. Is there anybody else who is interested in this course? Are there any opinions of this specific course or the course in a more general regard? Any discourse is very welcome! I would like to get as much insight as possible.

Hello!

I can't help you much regarding the quality of the course other than there were some YouTube vlogs I watched from a prior student and she talked a lot about her experiences. I think she also interviewed some other alumni. I can't remember the channel name but I'm sure you can find it if you search on YouTube!

I have received an offer for the course but am also applying to UCL. I may also apply to Birmingham just as the course is much cheaper and accommodation can apparently be hard to find in Bristol.
Original post by fawo
Hey, I am also applying to Bristol as one of my options but for BSc. It is one of my safer options but I would still be happy to study there as I've heard its a good uni and a solid city too

Yes, I believe Bristol is one of the more highly regarded Russel Universities. But I wouldn't rely on choosing a university on their supposed prestige alone. You should definitely consider the city itself and whether you would be interested in living there for 3 years+
Original post by rev1221
Hello!

I can't help you much regarding the quality of the course other than there were some YouTube vlogs I watched from a prior student and she talked a lot about her experiences. I think she also interviewed some other alumni. I can't remember the channel name but I'm sure you can find it if you search on YouTube!

I have received an offer for the course but am also applying to UCL. I may also apply to Birmingham just as the course is much cheaper and accommodation can apparently be hard to find in Bristol.

I have scoured the internet searching for as much information as possible and it is fairly limited for this course title! Ngoc is a Youtuber who had documented their recent experiences at the UoB. Unfortunately, this was also during the height of COVID and so it has clouded the experience in terms of teaching switching to remote.

I have not submitted any applications yet! I think time-wise I should be okay. I am planning on applying for: Kent, Birmingham and Bristol. Kent is not a Russel group university but in my opinion, their course modules are far superior to the University of Birmingham and even somewhat surpasses Bristol in terms of fundamental computer science with flexibility for modules. University of Birmingham seems to have an extremely stale, course but has a generally good reputation for computer science. Where as the University of Bristol has both prestige and (imo) a well structured curriculum.

As you mentioned though, the University of Bristol is very expensive and accommodation seems to be an issue for postgraduate students. Birmingham seems great if you like the course and are happy to live in Birmingham. Kent is only slightly cheaper than Birmingham but the city is very small and is a less highly regarded institution.

May I ask what your background is and your future plans?
Reply 5
I have scoured the internet searching for as much information as possible and it is fairly limited for this course title! Ngoc is a Youtuber who had documented their recent experiences at the UoB. Unfortunately, this was also during the height of COVID and so it has clouded the experience in terms of teaching switching to remote.

I have not submitted any applications yet! I think time-wise I should be okay. I am planning on applying for: Kent, Birmingham and Bristol. Kent is not a Russel group university but in my opinion, their course modules are far superior to the University of Birmingham and even somewhat surpasses Bristol in terms of fundamental computer science with flexibility for modules. University of Birmingham seems to have an extremely stale, course but has a generally good reputation for computer science. Where as the University of Bristol has both prestige and (imo) a well structured curriculum.

As you mentioned though, the University of Bristol is very expensive and accommodation seems to be an issue for postgraduate students. Birmingham seems great if you like the course and are happy to live in Birmingham. Kent is only slightly cheaper than Birmingham but the city is very small and is a less highly regarded institution.

May I ask what your background is and your future plans?

Yes that's the YouTuber I was thinking of!

Bristol got back to me within a few weeks which I was quite impressed by! They also only required one reference which was useful. I am still waiting on UCL and probably will wait to hear back from them before applying elsewhere. I am also looking at Nottingham, Glasgow and Kent, but I am quite indecisive haha!

As for my background, I am a current final year undergraduate at UCL in a humanities major so moving to computer science is quite a big swap for me! I have taken a couple of coding classes and also worked on some digital infrastructure as an intern over the summer, although the work didn't require much coding knowledge. What's your background?
Original post by rev1221
Yes that's the YouTuber I was thinking of!

Bristol got back to me within a few weeks which I was quite impressed by! They also only required one reference which was useful. I am still waiting on UCL and probably will wait to hear back from them before applying elsewhere. I am also looking at Nottingham, Glasgow and Kent, but I am quite indecisive haha!

As for my background, I am a current final year undergraduate at UCL in a humanities major so moving to computer science is quite a big swap for me! I have taken a couple of coding classes and also worked on some digital infrastructure as an intern over the summer, although the work didn't require much coding knowledge. What's your background?

Wow that is really impressive! One huge benefit of UCL is that you should get a hefty discount on your Masters? Personally, I have not researched London Universities too much, as the price is quite a barrier of access. But I have no doubt that UCL has an incredible course! In my opinion. If you are referring to the University of Glasgow software development degree, I think that looks great and the price is very attractive! Of course, the degree is more specific so that is a large consideration to take. I am unaware of the course at the University of Nottingham, could you give me some information on that? Your internship sounds very beneficial.

Personally, I feel that the University of Kent curriculum is really amazing, there are so many exciting modules which really allows you to define your learning experience. But you have to be aware of the direction of study you would like to take, which for a foundation based degree could be a difficult ask. Also, I would like to end my academic education at a Russell group university, which is slightly egomaniacal but would be an important life experience for me.

I have recently graduated from Sports Therapy. Upon graduation I was slightly regretful of my naïve decision making as a teenager! At A-level I studied Chemistry, Biology and Law but was not the best student. I am much better at studying independently after a bachelors. For the past few months, I have studied programming full time. I have some familiarity with technologies like Ruby, JavaScript, postgreSQL, Mongoose, Express and Node. It has been an incredibly steep learning curve, but it is massively enjoyable and something I really want to make work as a career. Hence the pursuit of a degree. Computer science is of course not limited to programming though.
Reply 7
Wow that is really impressive! One huge benefit of UCL is that you should get a hefty discount on your Masters? Personally, I have not researched London Universities too much, as the price is quite a barrier of access. But I have no doubt that UCL has an incredible course! In my opinion. If you are referring to the University of Glasgow software development degree, I think that looks great and the price is very attractive! Of course, the degree is more specific so that is a large consideration to take. I am unaware of the course at the University of Nottingham, could you give me some information on that? Your internship sounds very beneficial.

Personally, I feel that the University of Kent curriculum is really amazing, there are so many exciting modules which really allows you to define your learning experience. But you have to be aware of the direction of study you would like to take, which for a foundation based degree could be a difficult ask. Also, I would like to end my academic education at a Russell group university, which is slightly egomaniacal but would be an important life experience for me.

I have recently graduated from Sports Therapy. Upon graduation I was slightly regretful of my naïve decision making as a teenager! At A-level I studied Chemistry, Biology and Law but was not the best student. I am much better at studying independently after a bachelors. For the past few months, I have studied programming full time. I have some familiarity with technologies like Ruby, JavaScript, postgreSQL, Mongoose, Express and Node. It has been an incredibly steep learning curve, but it is massively enjoyable and something I really want to make work as a career. Hence the pursuit of a degree. Computer science is of course not limited to programming though

Ah that's awesome! It sounds like you have loads of great programming experience!

And haha sadly UCL gives no discount to current undergraduates :frown:! Regarding Kent, my girlfriend went there and while she didn't study CS she has gone on to have a great career in the film industry and all her friends have done really well too. They all say it's a really great uni and I believe the CS course has a placement option which may be helpful!

Nottingham is a masters in CS that takes both CS and non-CS graduates. I think the way it works is that if you are not from a CS background you have to take some mandatory foundation modules but other than that the programs are identical. Here is a link to the course: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/course/taught/computer-science-or-computer-science-artificial-intelligence-msc
Original post by rev1221
Ah that's awesome! It sounds like you have loads of great programming experience!

And haha sadly UCL gives no discount to current undergraduates :frown:! Regarding Kent, my girlfriend went there and while she didn't study CS she has gone on to have a great career in the film industry and all her friends have done really well too. They all say it's a really great uni and I believe the CS course has a placement option which may be helpful!

Nottingham is a masters in CS that takes both CS and non-CS graduates. I think the way it works is that if you are not from a CS background you have to take some mandatory foundation modules but other than that the programs are identical. Here is a link to the course: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/course/taught/computer-science-or-computer-science-artificial-intelligence-msc

Enough to know that It' something I want to pursue for 5+ years :smile:. Wow, that is so greedy from UCL xD. Oh yeah, the placement option does sound decent in terms of more likely experience acquisition. I checked the Nottingham course and it looks amazing. Slightly worried that the expectation of knowledge may be at quite a high level though, if they are allowing CS and non CS students into the course. Sounds like a lot of work, but definitely worth it if you could manage it. I'm probably going to apply to it today.

I have applied to Kent, Glasgow, Bristol and Sussex (not highly recommended, but local so no little costs). Kent replied with an offer after 4 days!
Reply 9

My Application was just put on hold, is that the same for you?
Original post by fawo
My Application was just put on hold, is that the same for you?

It seems as though Bristol is full of candidates at the moment and so I am unable to receive an offer unfortunately! Any news from your front?
Reply 11
Still on hold, website says that hold applications are usually processed after the deadline i.e. February
My friend applied after me and already got an offer with similar predicted grades as me. I think my GCSEs could be a little better but let’s hope for the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending