The Student Room Group

aiming for grade 9 need help with hpow and what to revise

i need help with revision subjects:core subjects, history,french englit and lang and add maths would appreciate subject by subject breakdown of revision thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Hi I got a 9 in history, English Lang ,and maths and an 8 in English lit,3 marks off a 9 so here’s what I did to revise:
History-I did the edexcel papers for medicine through time and Richard and John and USA and I highly recommend buying the revision guides as they are very helpful and I made flash cards from each page and memorised key dates and events, i would also recommend learning the structure to the answer of each question as it really helps
English language- I used mr everything English on YouTube and watched all of his videos I used his video about words you should use instead of .. to really help boost my vocabulary and grade whilst writing longer answers, definitely create a few grade 9 story plots before you go in the exam
Maths- practise exam questions form corbettmaths and maths genie and watch videos from gcse maths tutor he really explains thing well and practise past papers
English lit- learn key quotes from each play/Novel for each theme/character make mind maps to summarise events and themes attempt past paper questions and make up your own questions and get your teacher to mark and grade it with improvements also use mr salles and mr everything English on YouTube
I really hope this helps and I hope you get a grade 9 in all of these subjects keep working hard and don’t stress out:smile:
Reply 2
I would say do past papers for the sciences, maths, and history. Do it under time conditions the first time, and try not to cheat. Then after completing a practice paper, ask your parents or your teachers to mark it. You could mark it yourself, but to avoid being lenient in giving extra marks, it's best to give it to someone who will mark it like how an actual examiner would. Doing a paper under exam conditions will be really useful as you can then identify your weaknesses and work on them. This will help to fill in any knowledge gaps and there are plenty of resources online that you can use to help you.
As for French, make sure to brush up on your vocabulary. I take Arabic gcse and what really helps me, is quizzes on vocab and conjugation. I'm sure there is plenty more resources for you on French as it is a common MFL gcse that most people take.
And for english lang and lit - use sparknotes and poemanalysis as these websites have plenty of annotations that you could incorporate into your english essays. There is also a channel on youtube called 'course hero' which might be of use to you. And again, just keep doing past papers and go through mark schemes too!
I really hope this helps. Good luck on your gcses! :h:
Original post by Mohib.M
i need help with revision subjects:core subjects, history,french englit and lang and add maths would appreciate subject by subject breakdown of revision thanks.

i got a grade 9 in history in year 9 and for that i would watch my teachers videos on youtube (lessonsinhistory) and i would memorise like example questions and key knowledge
i got a grade 9 in english language in year 10 and i would highly recommend for paper 1 to memorise a whole question 5 description that can be adapted to any question for me i did one on a forest, abandoned palace and the weather that i added a paragraph to adapt it to the question about a life saving story. For question 2,3 and 4 i memorised sentence starters so in the exam all i had to do was add the words in from the text,
i am currently studying english lit and predicted a high grade, i would recommend memorising example paragraphs that relate to a theme that you can answer with any question that comes up for example im studying macbeth and ACC and for Macbeth i memorise example paragraphs relating to ambition and power. Pretty much do the same for poetry but focus on the main techniques you can compare like caesura and enjambment.
i am also studying French... but yeah i'm ****ed when it comes to that
Reply 4
Original post by Chloe Tait
i got a grade 9 in history in year 9 and for that i would watch my teachers videos on youtube (lessonsinhistory) and i would memorise like example questions and key knowledge
i got a grade 9 in english language in year 10 and i would highly recommend for paper 1 to memorise a whole question 5 description that can be adapted to any question for me i did one on a forest, abandoned palace and the weather that i added a paragraph to adapt it to the question about a life saving story. For question 2,3 and 4 i memorised sentence starters so in the exam all i had to do was add the words in from the text,
i am currently studying english lit and predicted a high grade, i would recommend memorising example paragraphs that relate to a theme that you can answer with any question that comes up for example im studying macbeth and ACC and for Macbeth i memorise example paragraphs relating to ambition and power. Pretty much do the same for poetry but focus on the main techniques you can compare like caesura and enjambment.
i am also studying French... but yeah i'm ****ed when it comes to that

could you show me the sentence starters you used for eng lang and the descriptions and stories
jjjj
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Thanks could you also show me the sentence strters for lang and tell me how should i make a description
Original post by Mohib.M

Heya!
The best revision for all is making sure you practice answering past paper questions and then going over your answers to see why you haven't gotten the full score :h:
For maths attempt to do practice questions by topic first to ensure that you understand the type of questions each topic offers and how to get full scores on them.
For english lang I would recommend learning how to write a plan before doing any essay + increasing your vocabulary by reading some books and noting down what you could use as well!
For history I would recommend creating visual timelines for yourself and trying to summarise all the events so it's easier for you when you need to write an essay.
For french i would recommend making some higher level sentences and learning them. That way you'll be able to use them during your speaking and writing exam! You could also read some books + watch movies in french to develop your language skills :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Mohib.M
could you show me the sentence starters you used for eng lang and the descriptions and stories

sentence starters
Q2 paper 1 -(Writer’s last name)uses [technique] to craft a sense of
OR Writer’s last name develops the imagery of….
A pivotal moment which depicts this is, is when the writer states....
This [technique] is significant
because/but/so
This sense of (X) is further augmented/reinforced/compounded by...
In addition, the [further technique analysis] (e.g imagery, extended metaphor) strengthens ideas of.... .

Q3 - paper 1 How does the writer use structure to interest you as a reader?
Pick 1 motif or other structural technique (see list below) per paragraph and explore how it is introduced, is developed, and is finally concluded
across the extract.
SENTENCE STARTERS:
At the start of the extract the writer
introduces…..in order to…
A key image which exemplifies this is…
The [technique] initially strengthens
ideas of....
This changes/evolves/develops across the text in order to….
as an effective means to depict….
Finally culminating in the realisation
that….through the portrayal of this
as….
STRUCTURAL TECHNIQUES:
Symbol/motif/pattern/semantic field
Narrative perspective - Shifts (time/mood/focus/perspective) - Focus (setting/character/atmosphere)
Exposition/inciting incident/climax/resolution
In media res/cyclical structure

Lang paper 1 - Q4 A student having read this section said: “______”. How far do you agree?
Consider the key parts of the statement and discuss your opinions on each in turn - ensure you begin with an introduction which gives a clear opinion (line of argument) on the statement as a whole.

SENTENCE STARTERS:
Overall, I agree with the statement as the writer clearly crafts ________________.
When considering X one is struck by how the writer constructs..
Perhaps what becomes even more striking is the fact that…
Whilst it is true that….one could also argue….
This is clearly/effectively/artfully conveyed through…
Just as...so too…
In order for this part of narrative to be effective the writer has deliberately...
Perhaps what becomes even more striking is the fact that...
EVALUATIVE VOCABULARY:
Effective
Significant
Crucial
Pivotal
Reply 9
i rly want to copy your descriptive writing but i feel like i will get caught for plagiarism do you have any ideas i could use your descriptive writing without it getting plagiarised

sentence starters
Q2 paper 1 -(Writer’s last name)uses [technique] to craft a sense of
OR Writer’s last name develops the imagery of….
A pivotal moment which depicts this is, is when the writer states....
This [technique] is significant
because/but/so
This sense of (X) is further augmented/reinforced/compounded by...
In addition, the [further technique analysis] (e.g imagery, extended metaphor) strengthens ideas of.... .

Q3 - paper 1 How does the writer use structure to interest you as a reader?
Pick 1 motif or other structural technique (see list below) per paragraph and explore how it is introduced, is developed, and is finally concluded
across the extract.
SENTENCE STARTERS:
At the start of the extract the writer
introduces…..in order to…
A key image which exemplifies this is…
The [technique] initially strengthens
ideas of....
This changes/evolves/develops across the text in order to….
as an effective means to depict….
Finally culminating in the realisation
that….through the portrayal of this
as….
STRUCTURAL TECHNIQUES:
Symbol/motif/pattern/semantic field
Narrative perspective - Shifts (time/mood/focus/perspective) - Focus (setting/character/atmosphere)
Exposition/inciting incident/climax/resolution
In media res/cyclical structure

Lang paper 1 - Q4 A student having read this section said: “______”. How far do you agree?
Consider the key parts of the statement and discuss your opinions on each in turn - ensure you begin with an introduction which gives a clear opinion (line of argument) on the statement as a whole.

SENTENCE STARTERS:
Overall, I agree with the statement as the writer clearly crafts ________________.
When considering X one is struck by how the writer constructs..
Perhaps what becomes even more striking is the fact that…
Whilst it is true that….one could also argue….
This is clearly/effectively/artfully conveyed through…
Just as...so too…
In order for this part of narrative to be effective the writer has deliberately...
Perhaps what becomes even more striking is the fact that...
EVALUATIVE VOCABULARY:
Effective
Significant
Crucial
Pivotal
Original post by Mohib.M
Thanks could you also show me the sentence strters for lang and tell me how should i make a description

well i would for the description create paragraphs for weather (like happy and sad) and abandoned places because your most likely going to get either story or pic that is depressing so i would remember a big description and then if you chose the story in the exam use your description like i did but add a little bit so it makes sense. in the exam all i added was at the start about a traveller who was saving the trees and it passed as a story even though it was pure description.
if you need anymore descriptions for weather or anything i have a couple but other than that thats all i recommend.
and for paper 2 memorise some sentences that will get you marks for good vocab and punctuation for example, sentences with a list using a semi colon also use extended metaphors across the whole answer you write - eg i used ocean/water - Education is a long and bendy pathway to many things, it's an ocean that some may choose to simply float across and some will choose to dominate surfing across, but what really is it? - then throughout i referred to water. Use things like chess(stop being pawns of the government, make your own move, dominate the board) sandcastle - building things up and then it being destroyed (the environment)
Reply 11
well i would for the description create paragraphs for weather (like happy and sad) and abandoned places because your most likely going to get either story or pic that is depressing so i would remember a big description and then if you chose the story in the exam use your description like i did but add a little bit so it makes sense. in the exam all i added was at the start about a traveller who was saving the trees and it passed as a story even though it was pure description.
if you need anymore descriptions for weather or anything i have a couple but other than that thats all i recommend.
and for paper 2 memorise some sentences that will get you marks for good vocab and punctuation for example, sentences with a list using a semi colon also use extended metaphors across the whole answer you write - eg i used ocean/water - Education is a long and bendy pathway to many things, it's an ocean that some may choose to simply float across and some will choose to dominate surfing across, but what really is it? - then throughout i referred to water. Use things like chess(stop being pawns of the government, make your own move, dominate the board) sandcastle - building things up and then it being destroyed (the environm

yes pls send me all your descriptive writings and stories send me everything you have please thanks!
Original post by Mohib.M
yes pls send me all your descriptive writings and stories send me everything you have please thanks!

kkkkk
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mohib.M
thanks if you have anyhting else please send thanks a lot

The last thing i have is for A christmas carol
- theme is always going to link to redemption - i would advise to use threshold imagery as one of the strong paragraphs e.g 'uncurtained bed' - this is an avenue to redemption]
Dickens crafts a shell of misanthropy around scrooge in order to facilitate a complete social metamorphis of the victorian upper class so they accept the benevolence of society
Also talk about how scrooge goes on a monomythic journey to the underworld (by travelling with ghosts) so he can be reborn a christian miracle
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 14
- theme is always going to link to redemption - i would advise to use threshold imagery as one of the strong paragraphs e.g 'uncurtained bed' - this is an avenue to redemption]
Dickens crafts a shell of misanthropy around scrooge in order to facilitate a complete social metamorphis of the victorian upper class so they accept the benevolence of society
Also talk about how scrooge goes on a monomythic journey to the underworld (by travelling with ghosts) so he can be reborn a christian miracle

thanks a lot for your help!
Original post by Mohib.M
thanks a lot for your help!

No problem, i hope you do well!
Reply 16
No problem, i hope you do well!

same 2 you
Reply 17
could you delete all your posts here so i can use your essay without getting plagiarised ill change it up a bit just edit your msges into like 1 letter

Original post by Mohib.M
same 2 you
Original post by Mohib.M
could you delete all your posts here so i can use your essay without getting plagiarised ill change it up a bit just edit your msges into like 1 letter

okay i have but u need to delete your replies 2
Reply 19

sorry but could you explain this further im confused

Quick Reply

Latest