Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what are keyskills useful for anyway, how do you get them, do you automatically get keyskill at a particular level if you have an A-level that is relavent or would you have to do extra work to qualify and do you get a seperate certicate of it or is it just printed next to your A-level grades?

what are advanced extension award?

whats General Studies useful for (because most uni dont takem into account) or is it THAT easy to get that its just an extra A-level to have? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk2005)
    what are keyskills useful for anyway, how do you get them, do you automatically get keyskill at a particular level if you have an A-level that is relavent or would you have to do extra work to qualify and do you get a seperate certicate of it or is it just printed next to your A-level grades?

whats General Studies useful for (because most uni dont takem into account) or is it THAT easy to get that its just an extra A-level to have? :confused:
    Keyskills are really dumb and irrelevant exams that every sixth form is supposed to offer by law - everyone's supposed to have a ey skills in something when they leave (there's 6 to choose from. I do ICT)

Advanced Extension Awards are the new version of S Levels - they're exmas for subjects you're really good at becuase they're super hard. I'm fairly sure you can do one in any subject you can do an A Level in (and sometimes one's you can't - I'm doing Critical Thinking AEA and that's only got an AS currently) The idea is that they're set in a way that stretches the student taking them and really gives them a chance to show off their expertise and skill in a subject area, but without having to do any extra work (in theory). So a history question might be something along the lines of : 'With reference to a period in history you have studied, how far can one single event change the course of history'. Or something like that. Universities are slowly coming round to the idea of them and some may give you an alternative offer bsed on one - a friend of mine has an offer for philosohpy for AAA or AAB plus a distinction in AEA English.

General studies isn't accepted as an offer subect by many universities but can sometimes be really useful if you miss the grades you need by a couple of marks - several people at my school in the past have missed grades by a little bit but their good general studies grade meant that their first choice unis let them in anyway. It's also supposed to be the best indicator for performance at university - in theory if you do well in general studies, you've had a good general academic education and should do OK at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mk2005)

Some sixth forms and colleges offer Key Skills qualifications in Communication, Application of Number, ICT and 3 other, less common ones like working with others. You can do them at level 2 (GCSE) or level 3 (A-level). You have to do extra work and I'm not sure, but I think you get an extra certificate for it. They're supposedly worth 10 UCAS points each at level 2 and 20 at level 3, but like General Studies, a lot of universities don't recognise them.

Advanced Extension Awards (AEAs) are extra qualifications taken by the top 10% of A-level students who are already confident of getting an A. They're separate from A-levels, so even if you mess them up, it won't affect your A-level grade. I don't think they're currently offered in all subjects. The exam lasts about 3 hours and there's no preparation you can do for them because they test your ability to think for yourself in the subject rather than remember what you've been taught. You can get distinction, merit or fail. They could be useful when applying for uni if it's somewhere really competitive like Oxbridge for a really competitive course like medicine.

I wouldn't know whether General Studies is easy or not as I don't do it, but the reason it has that reputation is that many people seem able to get As having attended no lessons and done no work. It's more about general knowledge and being able to write a good essay than knowing a lot of facts.

ReputationRep:
    You get the key skills automatically if you do a english, IT, math courses. If you don't do these subjects, you get the key skills be doing the exam and compiling a portfolio.

AEA's are exams that are very hard and encourages critical thinking.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.